Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Why didn't Duncan win gold in 2004? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94084)

TheProphet 07-01-2008 06:35 PM

Why didn't Duncan win gold in 2004?

Is it because the referees didn't give Team USA the same favors as the NBA referees do to San Antonio Spurs?

Kiddlovesnets 07-28-2008 03:24 AM

Re: Why didn't Duncan win gold in 2004?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProphet
Is it because the referees didn't give Team USA the same favors as the NBA referees do to San Antonio Spurs?

Cangri 07-28-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheProphet

On the contrary, I think they were calling alot of questionable calls on Duncan.
And comon, Duncan alone can't win it all.

koichiii 07-29-2008 10:21 AM

Duncan said after the loss "FIBA sucks"

la bomba 07-29-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koichiii
Duncan said after the loss "FIBA sucks"

well they will always have an excuse.I am hoping they lose this time and see what the excuses are.I think they are favourites but if they lose it would be interesting as for once they are saying they have a strong side.All the other teams with Wade,Anthony,Howard,Duncan,Allen etc that they sent were ****.

Lebron23 08-10-2008 03:09 AM

Because Duncan is not suitable to play in the international competition, and he don't have a decent outside shooting.

dd24 08-12-2008 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by la bomba
well they will always have an excuse.I am hoping they lose this time and see what the excuses are.I think they are favourites but if they lose it would be interesting as for once they are saying they have a strong side.All the other teams with Wade,Anthony,Howard,Duncan,Allen etc that they sent were ****.

Did Anthony really play in 04. Remember Larry Brown benched him because he was a rookie. How much did Lebron play? Not much. That team also had guys like Iverson, Marbury, Marion, etc. You know as well as the rest of us it was a scrub team with a coach who didn't play guys just because of his own ego. Duncan had a crap team around him. That's why he lost. It's pretty simple. Again, he was pretty much the only big man.

Is this years team better. Of course, we all agree on this. Do they have weaknesses? Yes, we've all agreed on that. We know they didn't send enough big men. You know if they lose it will be because of their lack of size. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate reason. Get over your US hating. If it wasn't for the USA you wouldn't even have a basketball team to argue about.

simasu01 08-13-2008 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
Did Anthony really play in 04. Remember Larry Brown benched him because he was a rookie. How much did Lebron play? Not much. That team also had guys like Iverson, Marbury, Marion, etc. You know as well as the rest of us it was a scrub team with a coach who didn't play guys just because of his own ego. Duncan had a crap team around him. That's why he lost. It's pretty simple. Again, he was pretty much the only big man.

Is this years team better. Of course, we all agree on this. Do they have weaknesses? Yes, we've all agreed on that. We know they didn't send enough big men. You know if they lose it will be because of their lack of size. It's not an excuse, it's a legitimate reason. Get over your US hating. If it wasn't for the USA you wouldn't even have a basketball team to argue about.

Kobe Bryant and LeBron James: "No Excuses"
I think that pretty much sums it up. In addition:
We all complain on our teams, that I want to play with this player or that one. Well, here weve got them all. This is how its supposed to be. We dont have any excuses. - Kobe Bryant http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...yhoo&type=lgns
In 2004, USA did have a bad coach, terrible, in my opinion. He did win the NBA championship that year though, so he did know some things that he was doing, obviously. Other teams were stronger in 2004. Losing to Puerto Rico should be embarrasing to a low level USA team, which would consist players at the level of, say Brendan Haywood, or Bonzi Wells, or any players that aren't a top 5 option. And this USA team was decent, compared to most other Olympic teams, this is who they had:
Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Carlos Boozer, Carmelo Anthony, Stephon Marbury, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, Emeka Okafor. Duncan, an NBA champion and MVP and Finals MVP multiple times. AI, great player, and he wasn't that selfish on team USA. LeBron and Wade, they were young, but already good. Amare, a beast. Marion, Amare's teammate, a showman, but very athletic. Boozer, on the team again, a big man. Carmelo, sucked back then. Steph, garbage. Jefferson, good only for the NBA. Odom, nothing special. Okafor, waste of space. Let's count the big men, Duncan, Amare, Boozer, and Okafor are true big men, and Odom and Marion usually play at 4, so half the team were big men. This year is a bit less, 3 true big men, plus LeBron and Carmelo are playing at the 4 a lot.

dd24 08-13-2008 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simasu01
Kobe Bryant and LeBron James: "No Excuses"
I think that pretty much sums it up. In addition:
We all complain on our teams, that I want to play with this player or that one. Well, here weve got them all. This is how its supposed to be. We dont have any excuses. - Kobe Bryant http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...yhoo&type=lgns
In 2004, USA did have a bad coach, terrible, in my opinion. He did win the NBA championship that year though, so he did know some things that he was doing, obviously. Other teams were stronger in 2004. Losing to Puerto Rico should be embarrasing to a low level USA team, which would consist players at the level of, say Brendan Haywood, or Bonzi Wells, or any players that aren't a top 5 option. And this USA team was decent, compared to most other Olympic teams, this is who they had:
Tim Duncan, Allen Iverson, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Carlos Boozer, Carmelo Anthony, Stephon Marbury, Richard Jefferson, Lamar Odom, Emeka Okafor. Duncan, an NBA champion and MVP and Finals MVP multiple times. AI, great player, and he wasn't that selfish on team USA. LeBron and Wade, they were young, but already good. Amare, a beast. Marion, Amare's teammate, a showman, but very athletic. Boozer, on the team again, a big man. Carmelo, sucked back then. Steph, garbage. Jefferson, good only for the NBA. Odom, nothing special. Okafor, waste of space. Let's count the big men, Duncan, Amare, Boozer, and Okafor are true big men, and Odom and Marion usually play at 4, so half the team were big men. This year is a bit less, 3 true big men, plus LeBron and Carmelo are playing at the 4 a lot.

So they make the quotes they are supposed to. Lebron and Kobe aren't 7 foot tall. There's no reason to really bring up 04. We all agree this team is better. Duncan is great and we could use him this year. If we had one more great big man like Duncan I would gaurantee gold. We don't so there is a chance we could lose. It's not an excuse, but if they lose that is the reason. They need another big man.

la bomba 08-13-2008 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24

Its not US hating.Its been fed up of US arrogance,Ignorrance(Iran is in Europe Kinda comments!) and excuses for everytime they lose.

dd24 08-13-2008 03:37 PM

This isn't even a discussion for a few more weeks anyhow.