Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 07-14-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.
Default Final Move: Marcus Banks?

Marcus Banks: Perhaps the best defensive point guard in the league and an improving shooter. Averaged 12 points while hitting 36 percent of 3-pointers after trade to Minnesota last season. Pacers already have four veteran point guards under contract and would have to get rid of one or two if they sign another. Could be worth part of the mid-level, however.

Found that in a newspaper talking about prospects for the pacers; however, I've been interested in this guy for a while. I believe we gave buckner about half of the MLE. What do you think of signing armstrong to an assistant coaching job as has been rumored, and giving Marcus banks a 3 year contract for half the MLE or about 2.7M a year. He averaged 12pts, 5assists, and 3 rebs after moving to Mini, and would allow terry more freedom to play SG.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #2
oldschool32
Can barely lace up my sneakers

oldschool32 has an OK reputation so far

i would agree to that also since Mavs got rid of Daniels.........Marcus could add even more defense to the Mavs
oldschool32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 10:55 AM   #3
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

JTerry's found his niche at point guard, though. Not sure you'd want to start playing him out of position (even if he is a scoring point guard) to accomodate marcus banks.

Also, adding banks might hinder the development of devin harris

Just playing devil's advocate here
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM   #4
soog
I brick open layups

I really do appreciate someone actually putting some thought into the discussion and playing devils advocate, even if i disagree completely. It's nice having discussion instead of a lot of "THIS IS STUPID!" "THIS IS SWEET!"

So here is my response to the prior statements. First off, JET is not a true point guard, he is an undersized shooting guard. He's a good enough ball handler but he doesn't have the vision or the pass first attitude of a PG. If you also look at what he did in the playoffs you have to look at where all his shots came from. The majority came from him moving along the baseline without the ball when him and devin were running together or from him just coming off a screen on a wing. Also notice, he never comes down and "runs" an offense. He comes down, passes to a wing, then tries to get open for shots. JET brought the ball across half court, but in all reality, he wasn't playing point guard. Antoine walker served more as point guard when he was playing "point forward" under nellie, than JET did last year. A point guard should be a distributer first, shooter second. After moving to Mini, Marcus Banks avg'd more assists in less minutes than Terry did all of last year.

In response to holding back Harris, a move like this would of course be done with the intention of making Harris permenant starter and marcus being his backup (although I'd feel like with Harris starter it would take a bit to get down to Banks with all of the guards we currently have, figure terry would probably take over pt before Banks came in.) So I see this in no way hindering Harris, I mean he's gotta come out of the game sometime.

Finally, does anyone remember what Darrel Armstrong meant to us in the playoffs 2 years ago. He came in and lit a fire under the mavs in the Houston series, and we can't expect someone his age to be able to do that again, moving him to a coach and getting a new 2nd/3rd string PG could be something that comes up huge in the future, just like DA was in houston. Wouldn't it have been nice to have someone who could have filled in for Devin in the Miami series? The man can't be on all the time.

Sorry, I'm long winded.

Last edited by soog : 07-14-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Pointguard01
I airball my layups

Pointguard01 has an OK reputation so far

^Good Post.

Id be for it but the problem arises with Avery Johnson and how he feels about playing two PGs (size wise) for most of the game. Bringing in Banks basically makes Terry the SG, and him getting 30+ minutes at that position.

Im not too sure that Avery wants to rely on that, though the fact they were after Mike James might make it work, though James would have been a better fit than Banks...
Pointguard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
soog
I brick open layups

see i dont feel like Avery would be against running "two pgs" together seeing how much he played Harris and Jet together in the playoffs, and again i can't agree that JET is really a pg, i feel like there should be some sort of assist minimum to qualify for such a title or maybe an assist to shots taken ratio.

Initially I would have agreed about James but the more I think about him, the happier i am we didn't get him. First I feel like getting james moves JET to SG (I feel like this is part of the motivation for acquiring james in the first place). And how would JET at SG and JET part deux at PG really work?

Either way, doesn't really matter now, looks like phoenix is going to jump on Banks.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #7
AndDru1
Can barely lace up my sneakers

AndDru1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Banks would be 3rd string

Banks wouldn't have to start, they probably would play 2gether with 2 point guards when Banks plays, but he's talented enough it would be worth it.
AndDru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Looks like Phoenix is going to get Banks.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

The 2-point guard system is becoming more and more commonplace in the nba as teams move toward the run n gun, small-ball styles. teams don't often start with 2 pg's but at some point in the game, it's not unusual to find 2 of em playing together. Kirk Heinrich/Chris Duhon... Baron Davis/Derek Fisher... Alston/Luther Head... Nash/Barbosa... Ridnour/Watson... and i don't know what new york is doing with their 3 headed Marbury/Francis/Crawford trio... but the Jazz have been using it the last 3 years with limited success. I wish Terry had shot the ball more in the finals and if moving him to the 2 spot would give him more opportunities, so be it. Being in SLC, I watched Banks a lot when he was at UNLV in the MWC conference. It seems like he plays the game at another speed and intensity level so i think the mavs, with their quickness, could cater to Banks' playmaking.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Also, adding banks might hinder the development of devin harris

or it could light a fire under his crappy jump shooting butt. i like Devin well enough but he is SO damn inconsistant.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: