Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 05-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
HoopWiz2008
I airball my layups

HoopWiz2008 has an OK reputation so far
Default The Greg Oden Argument

When I'm with friends, we usually debate on various sports topics. A few nights ago, Greg Oden and the Blazers came up in our conversation and it was interesting. Here is a guy that has intriguing size to go with mobility and athleticism. He doesn't have a lot of offensive skill which worries me. Offensively, he's a young Shaq. The only problem is that Oden isn't 7'1 and 300lbs like Shaq which means he won't overpower NBA centers that easy. Even with that said, Oden will be a great NBA player when its all said and done. The two positions that are the hardest to fill and the point guard and center position and thats where the argument begins. Would you trade Oden for the #1 pick in the draft and take Derrick Rose? Riley and the Heat would do this in a heartbeat as Riley loves having a dominant big man in the middle. In my opinion, Rose was the best player in the college country and its very, very seldom that a point guard is. Some may argue Beasley was, but thats whole different debate. You would have to go back to 1996 when Iverson was the point guard at Georgetown.Talent like Rose and Oden only come ever so often but the question is, who would make this team head and shoulders better? The Blazers were on a roll until BRoy went out with an injury and they struggled to get consistent offensive contributions and Oden isn't going to help in that regard since he's no offensive juggernaut. Rose on the other hand gives them a viable scoring option that can maintain a pass-first mentality. He has the vision and passing abilities of a Jason Kidd and the strength, athleticism and scoring savvy of a Baron Davis. Thats an extremely rare combination. If they're able to keep their 13th pick of the draft to select someone like JaVale McGee or DeAndre Jordan, then they could be in business. They can move Jack to try and land a nice SF in the league. They also have Lafrentz big expiring contract that will be attractive to a lot of teams. Something in the lines of Jarret Jack and Lafrentz to the Clippers for Maggette and a Tim Thomas. Sterling is a cheap SOB and will look to avoid to avoid the luxury tax and with the expiring contracts of Brand and Lafrentz, they could have that along with some good money to throw around for free agents. Pryzbilla hasn't exactly been a dominant center, but I think he has done a decent enough job where he isn't a liability and will give them positive contributions.

Line up:

PG Rose - Blake - Rodriguez
SG Roy - Webster
SF Maggette - Thomas - Jones
PF Aldridge - Frye
C Pryzbilla - McGee or Jordan
HoopWiz2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: The Greg Oden Argument

Interesting idea, but I think I'd stick with Oden - him, Aldridge and Roy will be a very interesting trio next season. I think Outlaw will continue to improve and with a healthy Jones.........and IF we bring over Fernandez.....
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Pretty much what blazerjimmy said. Also, I have heard that oden has put on a lot of weight (in muscle) over the season, but I don't know exactly how much he weighs.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
joel
Can barely lace up my sneakers

joel has an OK reputation so far

I would keep Oden. Really there point guard situation isn't that bad. I still like the idea of bringing in Calderon to pair with Fernandez.

Trade their pick #13 and Jack, rodrigues and for Calderon and humphries.

1Calderon, blake
2roy Fernandez
3Webster Outlaw jones
4Aldridge Frye humphries
5 Oden Pryzbilla
Then you Rid you yourself of Raef's contract for some draft picks and prospects
roy can swing to the point late in games to guard a big 1.
they have tons of flexibility in their line-up.

i just think of that final game between Florida and Oden. Oden man-handled Horford inside, which shows how good he could be. not totally developed, but should be a great center for years to come. Do NOT trade him for the rights to draft Rose.

That team just needs 2 years to develop and they are an elite team in the league for many years to come.

Last edited by joel : 05-18-2008 at 02:33 PM.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A good big man is so hard to come by, so I would definitely stick with Oden.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopWiz2008
The only problem is that Oden isn't 7'1 and 300lbs like Shaq which means he won't overpower NBA centers that easy.

You are correct. He is not 7'1 and 300 lbs. He is 7'0 and 290 lbs (at least the last I heard) and unbelievably sculpted.

To answer your question: NO. In the case of the suggested trade you are trading potential for potential. That’s a wash. A more feasible trade for Oden would involve potential for known talent – Paul, Williams, etc – which I still would not do.

Last edited by Renegade : 05-19-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I'd rather take a chance on Oden when we know he has great defensive skills than trade him for an unproven, probably bust, D. Rose.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: