Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 08-13-2008, 07:01 AM   #16
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Lebron to go overseas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
You're right about the weak dollar. That is the only thing that could make this a potential deal.

Here's one thing that most people don't take into consideration though. Lebron has all kinds of endorsement deals. He already probably makes close to 50 million per year. He isn't going to get those same deals somewhere else. I think when that is factored in, he has to stay here.
He could get other huge endorsements for being in europe too.Even if not as much when you add the salary and the fact that his team would pay the taxes,it might still be feaseable,though personally I don't think it will happen. We will keep signing unknown rubbish US players from the NBA.Like barca are reportedly going to sign Andre Barret from the Clippers,who the hell is this guy?played in 6 nba teams,about 2 minutes per game in each I guess.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #17
Gonso
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Gonso has an OK reputation so far

It will never happen.

Teams in Europe cannot afford to spend 50 million dollars inspite of the weak dollar.

No team in Europe will be even close to breaking even plus it is very simplistic to think that the dollar/euro rate will be the same forever. Imagine a team signing Lebron for $50m per year. That means that the team is exposed to huge FX risk resulting from moves of the price of euro especially given the current markets which affect FX rates on a day to day basis (interest rate changes are being used as a monetary policy to defend against the subprime crisis which affects exchange rates).

Finally even if they pay all cash in advance then the player is bearing that risk. Anyway, excluding these Lebron would never move to Europe now or even in the next few years. His income aside of the contract with the club will definitely decrease and let's face it, basketball in europe is not that popular. even in russia,spain or greece it is the second most popular sport (in the case of russia third) and in italy forget about it nobody gives a damn about basketball. What that means is that Lebron will be the king of a much smaller country if he comes in europe.
Gonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #18
simasu01
Decent playground baller

simasu01 has an OK reputation so far

Basketball isn't number one in USA either. So, if he wanted to be the best player in the most popular sport, then all he could do is move to Lithuania or Latvia. In no other country basketball is number one. And even if the Lithuanian and Latvian leagues combined their money, they couldn't afford LeBron. But basketball is almost even with football in Greece and former Yugoslavia. It is a 1 in a million chance, I think it's pretty safe to say all he's doing is rising his price for his next contract, likely with the Cavaliers, possibly with the Nets or some other big city team.
simasu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #19
Gonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
Basketball isn't number one in USA either. So, if he wanted to be the best player in the most popular sport, then all he could do is move to Lithuania or Latvia. In no other country basketball is number one. And even if the Lithuanian and Latvian leagues combined their money, they couldn't afford LeBron. But basketball is almost even with football in Greece and former Yugoslavia. It is a 1 in a million chance, I think it's pretty safe to say all he's doing is rising his price for his next contract, likely with the Cavaliers, possibly with the Nets or some other big city team.

You're right basketball in the US is not the most popular sport either. However, the publicity NBA stars get is huge compared to what Euroleague top players get in Europe. And no in Greece (unfortunately) basketball is not even close to football, I am Greek and I can tell you that for sure. I don't get it but that's the way it is. Latvia is indeed the only country where I know for sure that this is the case.

I do think that he is trying to rise his contract and he will but it is my personal opinion and I don't want to impose it to anyone that he or any NBA player of that callibre will ever come to Europe at the peak of their career (I'm talking in the mid-run, not in 50 years or anything). The balance sheets of the european teams cannot support a $50m per year contract. Fact. Even Chelsea does not have a player with such a contract (not even close actually!).
Old 08-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #20
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by la bomba
He could get other huge endorsements for being in europe too.Even if not as much when you add the salary and the fact that his team would pay the taxes,it might still be feaseable,though personally I don't think it will happen. We will keep signing unknown rubbish US players from the NBA.Like barca are reportedly going to sign Andre Barret from the Clippers,who the hell is this guy?played in 6 nba teams,about 2 minutes per game in each I guess.

I've never heard of him either.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 08:27 AM   #21
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso
You're right basketball in the US is not the most popular sport either. However, the publicity NBA stars get is huge compared to what Euroleague top players get in Europe. And no in Greece (unfortunately) basketball is not even close to football, I am Greek and I can tell you that for sure. I don't get it but that's the way it is. Latvia is indeed the only country where I know for sure that this is the case.

I do think that he is trying to rise his contract and he will but it is my personal opinion and I don't want to impose it to anyone that he or any NBA player of that callibre will ever come to Europe at the peak of their career (I'm talking in the mid-run, not in 50 years or anything). The balance sheets of the european teams cannot support a $50m per year contract. Fact. Even Chelsea does not have a player with such a contract (not even close actually!).

I've always thought that basketball was almost at the same level as football in Greece, in popularity that is. I am Lithuanian, so I can assure you basketball is number one here and in Latvia. I agree with you about players coming at this age, at this level. If LeBron was European, like Nowitzki or Gasol, we could have a different discussion. But this guy is American, he doesn't need all those problems there, since he is playing at home and I'm sure he's fine at the club he is at.
Knowing Abramovich, you could expect a contract that big, but Chelsea still wouldn't win much, maybe the cup. However, it is possible to pay money like that, Chelsea offered (reportedly) up to 200 million Euros for him. That's big money. Unfortunately, big football clubs don't like spending big money on basketball, such as Real Madrid or Barca. Looking at major Greek teams like Pana or Olympiakos, it seems like they value both sports very high.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #22
Gonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by simasu01
I've always thought that basketball was almost at the same level as football in Greece, in popularity that is. I am Lithuanian, so I can assure you basketball is number one here and in Latvia. I agree with you about players coming at this age, at this level. If LeBron was European, like Nowitzki or Gasol, we could have a different discussion. But this guy is American, he doesn't need all those problems there, since he is playing at home and I'm sure he's fine at the club he is at.
Knowing Abramovich, you could expect a contract that big, but Chelsea still wouldn't win much, maybe the cup. However, it is possible to pay money like that, Chelsea offered (reportedly) up to 200 million Euros for him. That's big money. Unfortunately, big football clubs don't like spending big money on basketball, such as Real Madrid or Barca. Looking at major Greek teams like Pana or Olympiakos, it seems like they value both sports very high.

Agreed, this is the case for an american superstart. It is not the same for Gasol or Nowitzki .

Btw, I actually mistyped... I meant that I know for sure that in Lithuania basketball is the most popular sport (one of my best friends is lithuanian). I have no clue about Latvia.

Chelsea might pay 60 even 100 million to get the rights of the player but the contracts are in the region of 8 million per year. So they spend say 60 million to buy the rights and then give the player another 5m per year. now this is a huge cost of course but they have the rights of the player for a 5 year period and as it happens in most cases they will sell the player one year or two before the expiry of the contract for the same deal of money or more. And they can afford to do that because in the football transfer market, there is a cash flow that goes from one team to the other.

Panathinaikos and Olympiakos spend a lot of money but you need to bear in mind that the owner of Panathinaikos basketball team is different than the owner of Panathinaikos football team and the same applies to Olympiakos.

By the way great game today, well done
Old 08-14-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
simasu01
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonso
Agreed, this is the case for an american superstart. It is not the same for Gasol or Nowitzki .

Btw, I actually mistyped... I meant that I know for sure that in Lithuania basketball is the most popular sport (one of my best friends is lithuanian). I have no clue about Latvia.

Chelsea might pay 60 even 100 million to get the rights of the player but the contracts are in the region of 8 million per year. So they spend say 60 million to buy the rights and then give the player another 5m per year. now this is a huge cost of course but they have the rights of the player for a 5 year period and as it happens in most cases they will sell the player one year or two before the expiry of the contract for the same deal of money or more. And they can afford to do that because in the football transfer market, there is a cash flow that goes from one team to the other.

Panathinaikos and Olympiakos spend a lot of money but you need to bear in mind that the owner of Panathinaikos basketball team is different than the owner of Panathinaikos football team and the same applies to Olympiakos.

By the way great game today, well done
I thought you might have mistyped about Lithuania, but you are still right about Latvia. I was talking about money but actually forgot to mention the player I am talking about: Kaką. I agree with you about money in football, teams buy rights, but then can get money back by selling a player. I didn't know the owners were different, I guess football doesn't affect basketball much in Greece.
We played okay today, as you know, it was more of a principle thing to win, but I was dissapointed with the refereeing done in favor of russia. I don't think a Greek and a Serb should guide a Lithuanian or a russian game, as I don't think a Lithuanian shouldn't be refereeing for Greeks or Americans. We should be seeing refs from neutral countries like Canada or France. Or at least have countries that have no history, as Lithuania has a long basketball history with both Greece and Serbia. Good luck today, I am loving the way Greece is playing against USA. They are hanging right in with the showmen, none of the Americans look superior, every Greek seems to be doing his job. Good luck.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: