Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #16
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: If Bonzi Wells comes for the minimum, would you be for or against the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
The luxury tax is a funny thing. Many teams don't want to cross it, because they have to pay dollar for dollar, but in this case, Bonzi Wells is a player who is obviously worth more than the vet's min. (I think it's around 1.1 million). Now if we were to pay him that much, and double that pretty much, so we'd be getting Bonzi at a price of just over 2 million. Now, it that something you might be interested in? (Entourage reference). Now would you want him knowing his reputation, and will he fit with the team structure? I think as a player he could help us, but I don't know if we want a player like him, who is always one of the last left in FAs because of his desires in contracts and his attitude...

Well technically the team would have over half of the 1.1 million subsidized by the league because of the veteran status of Wells.

Toronto would have to pay the roughly $400,000 minimum salary (which would be doubled by the luxury tax threshold). The roughly $8-900,000 "salary" paid to Wells would be well worth it if you ask me.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #17
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Default Re: If Bonzi Wells comes for the minimum, would you be for or against the move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Well technically the team would have over half of the 1.1 million subsidized by the league because of the veteran status of Wells.

Toronto would have to pay the roughly $400,000 minimum salary (which would be doubled by the luxury tax threshold). The roughly $8-900,000 "salary" paid to Wells would be well worth it if you ask me.

Will he be worth it if he only plays in 45-50 games and averages 8-9 points a game?
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #18
bada bing
College star

I guarantee you that once Bonzi comes to TO, he will be getting it on with Sam Mitchell. The dude has attitude problems and this team is far from that. He will lead to attention this team does not need. He is the type of player that will do well but only under strict and title contending teams. He will keep his trap shut and will do what is asked...however, he wont do that on a still growing team like the Raptors.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #19
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalphbreedBaller
Will he be worth it if he only plays in 45-50 games and averages 8-9 points a game?

Absolutely he would.

Think of all the useless players that cost their respective ownership considerably more than $800,000 per year, score less than 8-9 ppg, and are less reliable than 45-50 games.

I mean the Collins brothers are making at least $5-6 million per year and contribute much less than a gritty veteran who could give you 8-9 ppg, regardless of him missing 30 games
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #20
HalphbreedBaller
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
Absolutely he would.

Think of all the useless players that cost their respective ownership considerably more than $800,000 per year, score less than 8-9 ppg, and are less reliable than 45-50 games.

I mean the Collins brothers are making at least $5-6 million per year and contribute much less than a gritty veteran who could give you 8-9 ppg, regardless of him missing 30 games

At least they do it every game a no show is a no show...would you want to keep someone who is on your work staff who only shows up for half of his shifts? hell no what are you saying?? $800,000 is alote of money to throw away I don't care who you are...

Last edited by HalphbreedBaller : 09-17-2008 at 12:10 PM.
HalphbreedBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #21
YaoMing4MVP
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
I guarantee you that once Bonzi comes to TO, he will be getting it on with Sam Mitchell. The dude has attitude problems and this team is far from that. He will lead to attention this team does not need. He is the type of player that will do well but only under strict and title contending teams. He will keep his trap shut and will do what is asked...however, he wont do that on a still growing team like the Raptors.

I remember when Dennis Rodman played for the Bucks........... man was that joke
YaoMing4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #22
brwnman

Even if he comes in and becomes an enigma, we can just cut him off the roster. I don't think it's anything major that we have to worry about. He'll just be kicked off the squad and move on. And it's not like the Raptors are relying on all young guys who can't handle themselves. Only major contributors that are from youngsters will be Bosh, Bargnani and Ukic. Bosh is already the leader and is one of the most experienced on our team at the NBA level, so that only leaves Bargnani and Ukic as the young guys on whom Bonzi can have an negative lasting effect. Not a big deal, I don't think. It's not a problem if he's injured because neither the 2.2 or the 800,000 are a big amount. It'd be a low-risk and high-reward type of move as oppose to someone like Josh Howard, who is a high-risk and high-reward move and the negatives in that deal would outweigh the positives...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: