Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Bargnani bigger, Jawai out!

Instead of making differents threads, and getting minimal discussions in each, I have decided to make it just one because they are correlated.

Quote:
Andrea Bargnani has bulked up to about 262 pounds and says heís ready to battle other big men in the low post, Bosh is ready to find a way to co-exist with the best big man heís ever had a chance to play beside and Calderon said heís ready to assume even more responsibility as the teamís starting point guard.
http://www.thestar.com/Sports/NBA/article/508406

Interesting to say the least. I thought he'd be getting skinnier, but the raps wanted him to bulk up and they really are trying to get him to turn into a post player. We really need him to come up big for us, we got no depth and we just got a little weaker,
Quote:
Toronto Raptors forward-centre Nathan Jawai is going to have to wait a little longer before embarking on an NBA career.

The Raptors announced Monday that Jawai will be held out of training camp after routine preseason cardiac screenings raised concerns about the Raptors' second pick. Instead of playing basketball, Jawai will undergo further tests that are expected to be concluded by the end of the week.
http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...asketball/home

While nobody expected much out of him, he was still there for depth issues and whatnot, but with him being out, things got a lot more interesting. I think the Raptors will end up signing someone from somewhere. Maybe a rebirth of Pape Sow is in order (no sources, just want him back) - but I think having 6 bigs on a team is ideal. Especially given the health history of our top 2 bigs...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Bargnani bigger, Jawai out!

I wonder if this is a good thing with Bargnani. I guess he was never the most athletic guy in the 1st place so hopefully this just means he is stronger and won't give up as much room inside on both ends. But if his mentality of avoiding contract on offense, clearing out of the lane when opposing players are driving and just being soft in general doesn't change, then him being bigger will mean little.

It seems like the Raptors themselves have no idea what kind of player they want Bargnani to be. He was drafted as a C to put beside Bosh and that has been a failure so far. Then late last season it seems like they want him as an SF and that was an even bigger failure. Now it's back to the "Bargnani as the future C" hope that they started with.

That sucks about Jawai though. Hopefully it's nothing serious and he is ready to play in the pre-season. It would be nice if he could turn out to be one of those decent 2nd rounders like Craig Smith.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I'd be happy beyond belief if Jawai is anything like Craig Smith, but I think their body structure and game are really different. Craig Smith is a bruiser type guy who takes advantage of his body and is a pretty decent post scorer. Jawai is just there to provide energy, block some shots and get cheap buckets...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Yes it seems that Andrea is still searching for himself as a basketball player. Part of the problem is coaching IMO. If Bargs had a better coach then Sam, ( say what you want about Sam, but he basically just lets guys play most of the time without much direction), someone who was more of a teaching coach, then I believe he'd be much further ahead then he is now.

So the fact that he's bulked up, to me means the SF experiment is over. Which is a good thing, cause he'd a been beaten off the dribble everytime by 90% of the small forwards in the league.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bargnani was just interviewed recently, although it's hard to see if there's a difference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWFR--oHN50

I really hope he does well this season. He won me over in his rookie season.
Kungfro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
brwnman

I enjoy watching Andrea speak english...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 AM   #7
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

I hope Jawai will be ready for the season. We need physical guys who can grab rebounds and play tough.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Just want Bargs to be an all-around player. But keep to his strengths --- outside shooting, driving-by big people.

If bulking up helps him in defence, and not affect his shooting, good.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #9
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Seems every team has a player that seemingly bulks up over the summer but it doesn't really show. Hopefully Andrea actually did put on that weight.

Quote:
Yes it seems that Andrea is still searching for himself as a basketball player. Part of the problem is coaching IMO. If Bargs had a better coach then Sam, ( say what you want about Sam, but he basically just lets guys play most of the time without much direction), someone who was more of a teaching coach, then I believe he'd be much further ahead then he is now.

Big critic of Sam here but I don't think it is lack of trying on his part that Bargnani is at this stage of development. You can tell that Mitchell is trying to drill rebounding into Bargnani's head http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...pnmag/bargnani. He also has worked one on one with Bosh in the past.

I think however that because Bargnani has such a seemingly strange aloof personality that Sam's style of coaching may not be able to reach. I think a more high post oriented offense will be able to utilize Bargnani better (which I wish Sam would realize instead of just using the pick&pop), but as far as defense and rebounding, I can't fault Mitchell's methods. It's hard to teach rebounding.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #10
new noise
madvillain

new noise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
I think however that because Bargnani has such a seemingly strange aloof personality that Sam's style of coaching may not be able to reach. I think a more high post oriented offense will be able to utilize Bargnani better (which I wish Sam would realize instead of just using the pick&pop), but as far as defense and rebounding, I can't fault Mitchell's methods. It's hard to teach rebounding.

That's always kind of felt like the problem to me. When you have a kid who shows absolutely no emotion on the floor, you wonder whether it's the hint of some killer instinct or he just doesn't give much of a sh*t, and unfortunately it seems like the latter. More than anything Bargnani seems to be confused out there more often than not, and part of the blame for that does have to go to Smitch.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Damn.. Jawai out just makes me sad.. i want this guy to be developed to a good player.. Has all the potential just needs alot of work, could be a polished player
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #12
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

So what's the difference between Jawai and Kris Humphries?
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
So what's the difference between Jawai and Kris Humphries?

He's Australian and um.....
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: