Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > San Antonio Spurs Forum

San Antonio Spurs Forum San Antonio Spurs message board - San Antonio Spurs forum

Old 09-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #46
óross√er
I trust me!

óross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Would you do a Manu Ginobli for Joe Johnson deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
JJ is a really good defender, really good passer, great scorer, really good shooter, decent rebounder, pretty good ballhandler (esp for his size), he has all the tools to be a superstar in this league and is damn close.

I love Manu but there isnt a Tim Duncan in Atlanta. I can only imagine how well Joe Johnson would play next to Duncan.

Spurs yes, Hawks no on this trade.

I basically disagree with every-thing this guy said.
He had a good series against Boston, and the hype was blown out of proportion. He didn't have a legendary performance as people were making it out to be, it's like they were pushing him to be this unsung hero because they failed to realize Atlanta's athleticism were giving Boston fits.

That was the reason Boston had problems on the road, of course against a great team like Boston you need a guy who can make shots down the stretch, and Johnson did that in a couple of games but he was way to inconsistent in that series for my taste. Getting into early foul trouble, and was invisible on the road.

He scored 20 PPG on 41% against Boston, hardly great.
The reason I'd take Manu over Johnson is because he is a much better defender, and you can argue he was SA's best player this past season. That ankle injury limited him in the play-offs.

I wouldn't trade Johnson for Manu though if I was Atlanta, because of the age difference. I believe Johnson is 4 years younger.
óross√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM   #47
Anti404
WHY SO SERIOUS

Anti404 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by óross√er
I basically disagree with every-thing this guy said.
He had a good series against Boston, and the hype was blown out of proportion. He didn't have a legendary performance as people were making it out to be, it's like they were pushing him to be this unsung hero because they failed to realize Atlanta's athleticism were giving Boston fits.

That was the reason Boston had problems on the road, of course against a great team like Boston you need a guy who can make shots down the stretch, and Johnson did that in a couple of games but he was way to inconsistent in that series for my taste. Getting into early foul trouble, and was invisible on the road.

He scored 20 PPG on 41% against Boston, hardly great.
The reason I'd take Manu over Johnson is because he is a much better defender, and you can argue he was SA's best player this past season. That ankle injury limited him in the play-offs.

I wouldn't trade Johnson for Manu though if I was Atlanta, because of the age difference. I believe Johnson is 4 years younger.
Are you even sure that, if you were to plug Manu into JJ's role, he would be able to fill it?
Look, I know Manu is creative on offense and a decent defender with a penchant for drawing charges, but he's never played more than thirty-one minutes per game, and he's never played more than seventy-five games in a season.
So what happens if he starts averaging around JJ's forty minutes per game? Does he star playing sixty-five games per year? Less?

Using his low shooting percentage against the Celtics is a flawed argument. How did Kobe and LeBron shoot against them? And Kobe has a much better supporting cast.
Anti404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #48
óross√er
I trust me!

óross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected posteróross√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti404
Are you even sure that, if you were to plug Manu into JJ's role, he would be able to fill it?
Look, I know Manu is creative on offense and a decent defender with a penchant for drawing charges, but he's never played more than thirty-one minutes per game, and he's never played more than seventy-five games in a season.
So what happens if he starts averaging around JJ's forty minutes per game? Does he star playing sixty-five games per year? Less?

Using his low shooting percentage against the Celtics is a flawed argument. How did Kobe and LeBron shoot against them? And Kobe has a much better supporting cast.

Neither Kobe or LeBron were getting hyped up for their performance the way Joe Johnson did against Boston while really having similar scoring output as those two did.

Manu has always been a team player, he does what is asked of him. I don't see a difference in his game, whether he comes off the bench or plays starter minutes. I don't thing he'd have a problem filling in JJ's role in Atlanta. Maybe he doesn't play 40+ minutes because he is a bit older then Joe, but I don't see why he couldn't play say 37 MPG.

I'm not sure why you're questioning Manu's ability to carry a team that barely made the playoffs in the eastern conference, when he arguably was the defending champions best player this past year.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #49
óross√er
I trust me!

Just food for thought.
Say, Duncan was injured this past season and SA lost to the Lakers in 5 games, how many people would be belittling Parker/Manu's importance to the team and trying to signify Duncan's presence?

I think the same theory applies to Ginobilli (not to Duncan's extent), SA lost to LA mainly because Manu was not healthy. If he was, I'm positive the series would have been extended to at least 6 games.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #50
Anti404
WHY SO SERIOUS

Anti404 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by óross√er
Just food for thought.
Say, Duncan was injured this past season and SA lost to the Lakers in 5 games, how many people would be belittling Parker/Manu's importance to the team and trying to signify Duncan's presence?

I think the same theory applies to Ginobilli (not to Duncan's extent), SA lost to LA mainly because Manu was not healthy. If he was, I'm positive the series would have been extended to at least 6 games.
?
Spurs are on of my favorite teams, and I agree with that if Emanuel would've been healthy, the series would have been extended to six games or even a victory for the Spurs.
However, I would much rather have JJ on the Spurs. He can do everything that Ginobili is capable of doing, but he can play for a whole season and play around forty minutes per night. JJ's overall game is similar to Manu's, but he's never really been on a superb team as the #1 or #2 option(he was, what, the fourth option on the Suns?). I think if you placed him with TD, it would create a lot more open looks from beyond the arc, thus increasing his percentage back up to his staggering 47% or so that he had when he played with Amare down low.
Anti404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM   #51
marny_navis
Banned

marny_navis has decent reputation

The Spurs already have perfect chemistry with their big three, no need to screw it up and get an equal player in Joe Johnson. I want Manu on the team in crunch time anyway.
marny_navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #52
1~Gibson~1
NBA Finals

1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster1~Gibson~1 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by egghead
Shut up, fatboy.
Quote:
egghead
nuff said.......
1~Gibson~1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:53 AM   #53
ScolaFan
Spurs Forum Moderator

ScolaFan has decent reputationScolaFan has decent reputation

No!
ScolaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:40 AM   #54
poeticism707
Local High School Star

poeticism707 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nets fan 93
Spurs- Hell yeah in a blink
Hawks-

Johnson is almost a superstar

Johnson? Almost a superstar?

What game are you watching???
poeticism707 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: