Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #16
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
UniformBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
@uniformbomber,
all good points there in post #12. repped.


re: mark jackson,
sorry, but you're asking the wrong guy. jackson is one of the most annoying color men i've ever heard, mainly for his penchant for pointing out the obvious time after time in a particular voice which indicates that he thinks he's saying something deep and insightful. i really can't stand that.

that is not to rule out that jackson might not be an excellent HC.
after all, collins, fratello and brown are all superb color men but have had pretty bumpy coaching careers IMO.

but i would like to see jackson do his due diligence and start as an asst coach. i think that's only fair, given his glaring lack of exp in coaching.


re: AJ,
i don't think his voice was the culprit. more like it added insult to injury.

the players' grapevine said that the guy was an annoying control freak and that's the main reason he alienated so many of them. also that devin harris, despite giving lip-service to johnson, felt extremely stifled by him and was very relieved to get away from him.

i don't know where you've been, dude, but there were a tonne of articles about these issues around and well after the time that harris got traded and AJ got fired. so all i can say is, i hope you were with a hot babe during those months to explain why you never heard about any of this. :P


re: scott clashing with nets players,
the only player i've ever heard that clashed with him was kidd.
kidd was the guy that transformed the franchise and still had status like a god in that 3rd season. so when kidd said that 'it's either me or scott', the writing was on the wall regarding which one of the two any sane GM had to let go.

Haha I don't remember if I was with a babe or not. Truth be told, I don't read a lot of the beat writers or articles about Nets players or any other teams' players for that matter. I'm a much bigger Jets fan than I am Nets fans, and I've allowed those writers to pollute my mind, so I'm trying a different route with the Nets and ignoring articles.

However, if AJ is a control freak and alienated the players, then nevermind. It's not as if Thorn and Co. would hire a coach like that anyway, seeing as they are dictating to Frank who should be starting and getting more playing time, etc.

Word up on Kidd and Scott. I knew that was where the main problem existed and just incorrectly assumed he clashed with the other players as well. I still wish we had him though because I think he's a good coach.

Someone mentioned Brian Shaw. That's an interesting idea. I haven't heard much of him and don't even know if he's into coaching... Is he an assistant somewhere currently?

What I know for sure is that I don't want a college coach brought up, and I don't want another guy who's never played the game before. Maybe we can convince Darrell Armstrong to put on a tie and slacks.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr
 
Dasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 14,035
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Brian Shaw is a current assistant with The Los Angeles Lakers, and is a rising star in the coaching ranks. Whispers have him being in line for a shot at The Suns job, but I just can't see that happening; he and Shaq are incredibly close that could spell disaster for team chemistry.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
UniformBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
Brian Shaw is a current assistant with The Los Angeles Lakers, and is a rising star in the coaching ranks. Whispers have him being in line for a shot at The Suns job, but I just can't see that happening; he and Shaq are incredibly close that could spell disaster for team chemistry.

Interesting, esp the point about Shaq. Besides, not sure how enticing that would be anyway, considering Shaq will only be there for another year.

I'd love any coach who has learned under Jackson. He could install an Offense that actually looks like a system, and, at this point, he probably understands the value of good Defense.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
gigantes
A piece of fluff
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,674
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

btw, uniform, just a small point-
rosen and the SI guy (i think it was mccallum) are not beat writers, they're national. d'allessandro is the only beat writer in that list.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #20
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
UniformBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
btw, uniform, just a small point-
rosen and the SI guy (i think it was mccallum) are not beat writers, they're national. d'allessandro is the only beat writer in that list.

Thanks for the info.

And not to be an ******* or anything, but national writers aren't much better. There are a few knowledgeable, objective ones who actually provide insight - in every sport - but for the most part, they're all trash. Just my opinion.

edit: oh wow, this board censors, huh? I wasn't aware of that. haha.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #21
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?
 
MTing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 5,466
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Well as much as we have been bashing Frank the past few days, he made a good decision in starting Dooling today.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #22
gigantes
A piece of fluff
 
gigantes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,674
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
And not to be an ******* or anything, but national writers aren't much better. There are a few knowledgeable, objective ones who actually provide insight - in every sport - but for the most part, they're all trash. Just my opinion.
on the plus side, i think the rise of the internet has caused the quality of their work to go way up. SI and foxsports guys have never been better. they now have to keep in mind that anyone can comment on their stories and rip them to shreds if they submit lazy or poorly written work. they have to respond more and more directly to sports fans questions and that sets the accountability bar a big notch higher.

on these two sites here there is only one writer who is an obvious d0uchebag, name of randy hill. otherwise the quality of their work is very high IMO... check it out:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/
http://www.foxsports.com/named/FS/NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
Well as much as we have been bashing Frank the past few days, he made a good decision in starting Dooling today.
totally.

since carter is a natural SF it's a little disappointing that frank didn't try him in that role earlier in the season. then again, maybe the big progress that CDR has made this season allowed frank to shift dooling into the lineup.

if the nets can finish strong i am prepared to give frank the benefit of the doubt. i am still really disappointed by how little the defense has improved over the course of the season but to be honest, nobody in their right mind would have predicted that the nets would win close to 35 games this season.

i also like what thorn just said about nobody's job being secure when the season ends.
that's the right approach IMO.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
UniformBomber
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
UniformBomber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
on the plus side, i think the rise of the internet has caused the quality of their work to go way up. SI and foxsports guys have never been better. they now have to keep in mind that anyone can comment on their stories and rip them to shreds if they submit lazy or poorly written work. they have to respond more and more directly to sports fans questions and that sets the accountability bar a big notch higher.

on these two sites here there is only one writer who is an obvious d0uchebag, name of randy hill. otherwise the quality of their work is very high IMO... check it out:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/
http://www.foxsports.com/named/FS/NBA


totally.

since carter is a natural SF it's a little disappointing that frank didn't try him in that role earlier in the season. then again, maybe the big progress that CDR has made this season allowed frank to shift dooling into the lineup.

if the nets can finish strong i am prepared to give frank the benefit of the doubt. i am still really disappointed by how little the defense has improved over the course of the season but to be honest, nobody in their right mind would have predicted that the nets would win close to 35 games this season.

i also like what thorn just said about nobody's job being secure when the season ends.
that's the right approach IMO.

Cool, thanks for the links.

I think part of the reason Carter didn't get moved earlier is that there's no PG depth behind Dooling. So Dooling had to available to spell Harris. Since the season is just about over, depth isn't really a concern anymore.

I agree that the emergence of CDR has helped this situation out a lot. Not that he'll even be a PG, but I wonder if making him practice at PG and play it live in garbage time has actually helped his progress, his overall understanding of the game. IMO, CDR should've been getting many more significant minutes earlier in the season.

Did anyone else catch Frank's interview today on WFAN? He praised CDR saying he's learned a lot from the neck up since the beginning of the season, and he's become more mentally tough and dedicated to the off-court duties.

He also praised VC and said that Sean Williams is a good person who's just made some poor decisions, but his value shouldn't be underestimated. Said that Williams' improvement has led to Boone's improvement because they motivate each other to compete for pt.
UniformBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #24
BrooklynNets
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
BrooklynNets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 20
Default Re: Could Lawrence Franks Job be in jeopardy this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniformBomber
Cool, thanks for the links.

I think part of the reason Carter didn't get moved earlier is that there's no PG depth behind Dooling. So Dooling had to available to spell Harris. Since the season is just about over, depth isn't really a concern anymore.

I agree that the emergence of CDR has helped this situation out a lot. Not that he'll even be a PG, but I wonder if making him practice at PG and play it live in garbage time has actually helped his progress, his overall understanding of the game. IMO, CDR should've been getting many more significant minutes earlier in the season.

Did anyone else catch Frank's interview today on WFAN? He praised CDR saying he's learned a lot from the neck up since the beginning of the season, and he's become more mentally tough and dedicated to the off-court duties.

He also praised VC and said that Sean Williams is a good person who's just made some poor decisions, but his value shouldn't be underestimated. Said that Williams' improvement has led to Boone's improvement because they motivate each other to compete for pt.

Yeah that was a great interview Frank gave. It always amazes me how when you actually listen to the guy he never matches the fans' characterization of him.

Count me in still as one that thinks it is the wrong time to can Frank. He has coached this team to 31 wins! Look at the talent on this roster and the teams who have less: Sacramento, Memphis (barely), Washington and Minnesota (because of injuries) and New York, Charlotte, and OK City have possibly less talent right now. At best the Nets are securely in the bottom 3rd when it comes to talent on an NBA roster.

I know Frank has his problems but I think he has been a stabilizing force all year for the team. Brook Lopez said it best, he doesn't want the upheaval of a coaching change. Switching gears now would only retard his progress. It takes time for young players to become familiar with a system- I think most fans underestimate that.

If next season the Nets aren't an at or above .500 team then it will be time to move on. Then the Nets can do what Dave D suggests and have an interim coach for the rest of the year. In the summer of 2010 you can pick your new coach with your new free agent superstar!
BrooklynNets is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy