Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM   #16
bc86
Can barely lace up my sneakers

bc86 has an OK reputation so far
Default brad davis

I'm happy somebody brought his name up.He's second all-time(behind Harper) iin assists in Mavs history and has the most games played as a maverick. I guess they retired his number(davis) b/c of his longevity.Also why isn't Harpers number retired too?
I guess Aguirre when he was traded from dallas in 89 left on bad terms.

"Eventually, Aguirre allegedly tanked games, faked injuries and walked out on his teammates. He finally forced his way out out of town and joined Thomas in Detroit, which was the only way Aguirre could ever win a ring. In his case, he won two."

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/lawrence/1131406.html
bc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 AM   #17
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

So same reason Vince's number won't ever by retired in TO, I guess.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 PM   #18
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
What about the fact that Nash always had a 6moy candidate backing him up at the PG spot and taking possessions away with him? Doesn't that deflate his stats? And doesn't the fact that Dallas was always in the 55-60 win range with Nash matter?

The very first jersey that was retired in Dallas Mavericks history was #15. #15 was the backup PG for Derek Harper and the Mavs, Brad Davis. Brad was the only expansion draftee in 1980 that made it through with the Mavs and was a fixture in the 7-9 man rotations that Dallas used in the Derek Harper era.

As for the wins, Harper never played with a guy as good as Dirk Nowitzki, point blank. Mark Aguirre was really good, don't doubt him at all, but he was basically the Gilbert Arenas of SFs in his day. Very, very good, oft overlooked, but not a HOF lock like a guy like Dirk.

The only guy on Harper's team with Nowitzki level talent was Roy Tarpley and he lasted all of 2 seasons before becoming a ****up.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:49 PM   #19
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Stevie
Man I wish I was old enough to witness those 80's Mavericks. Sometimes, people overlook that era when talking about the old Mavericks just because the 90's was so dreadful but those 80's teams were pretty good. Michael Finley was the man though. He deserves to have his jersey retired in the arena someday. Shoot, if Brad Davis has his up there, Finley should be a no-brainer haha.

Hey question though. Since I was too young to follow those 80's Mavs, what was the deal with Mark Aguirre? Statistically, he should be the greatest Dallas Maverick of all time but why isn't his jersey up there in the rafters? Was he really that bad of a locker-room/character guy?

Great, great group of talent in the 80s. Had future semi-stars in Detlef Schremph and Dale Ellis in small roles early in their careers, had an oft overlooked guy in Jay Vincent that was never given much attention but in 3 of his 5 years in Dallas, rookie-5 as a NBAer, was putting up Rashard Lewis level #s for the team.

Team had some players on it that were lost in time because only Mavs fans really talk about Aguirre, Tarpley, Ro, Harp, and Donaldson. Sometimes they talked about Uwe Blab, Bill Wennington, but that was just for laughs.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: