Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Following Raymond Felton's negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonpaxis
Only in rare cases (Steve Nash) do point guards blossom more than 2-3 years into their careers. Look at Felton's contemporaries from that draft (CP3, Deron). Those guys have arrived and neither has much "upside". Felton is probably as good as he'll ever be.

Even taking AI out of the equation, Felton spent a whole season under the best point guard's coach in the league, and he still isn't much of a pure point guard OR a shooter.

I like his attitude and he's a determined guy, but I guess I just don't see why we should pay too much for his services when DJ is waiting in the wings.

Honestly, I'd rather sign Iverson to a short-term deal if possible.

onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #17
TBone
I airball my layups

TBone has decent reputation

Felton was 13th in assists in the NBA with 6.7 a game. That's not too bad these days with the shoot first mentality of most PG's. I think he can't help but get better under the tutelage of LB
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Paul and Deron aren't the norm so any comparison between them and Felton isn't really applicable. They've each had ONE coach throughout their pro careers and some pretty darn good ones at that. Felton on the other hand has had two God awful coaches and been played as a shooting guard about half the time under both of them.

Played mostly at PG this past season Felton improved...and esp. on defense. He survived one of the toughest PG coaches in the league. He's also only 25! It amazes me that anyone would think a guy 25 years old is topped out, especially at the PG position where "smarts" plays a big role.

One thing that amazes me is people act like he (and "his" fans) compares himself to the two named above...but he's asking for less than HALF of what those guys get paid. For his durability, defense and his drive to get better under Larry Brown a MLE type deal is well worth his services.

BTW...you also forgot Billups, who many compare Felton to. He also struggled in his early years to find a good fit. Interestingly, tho he did start breaking out beforehand the great coach Larry Brown came along and allowed him to be all that he could be.

If Larry Brown believes in him then that's good enough for me.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #19
TBone
I airball my layups

TBone has decent reputation
Thumbs up Re: Following Raymond Felton's negotiations

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
Paul and Deron aren't the norm so any comparison between them and Felton isn't really applicable. They've each had ONE coach throughout their pro careers and some pretty darn good ones at that. Felton on the other hand has had two God awful coaches and been played as a shooting guard about half the time under both of them.

Played mostly at PG this past season Felton improved...and esp. on defense. He survived one of the toughest PG coaches in the league. He's also only 25! It amazes me that anyone would think a guy 25 years old is topped out, especially at the PG position where "smarts" plays a big role.

One thing that amazes me is people act like he (and "his" fans) compares himself to the two named above...but he's asking for less than HALF of what those guys get paid. For his durability, defense and his drive to get better under Larry Brown a MLE type deal is well worth his services.

BTW...you also forgot Billups, who many compare Felton to. He also struggled in his early years to find a good fit. Interestingly, tho he did start breaking out beforehand the great coach Larry Brown came along and allowed him to be all that he could be.

If Larry Brown believes in him then that's good enough for me.

Well said!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
Pharcyde
Big like Magic

Pharcyde is a pretty well-respected posterPharcyde is a pretty well-respected posterPharcyde is a pretty well-respected poster

I went to more games last year then I ever have, and I think DJ can be a great player. But I also liked the games when Felton and DJ were on the court at together. I hope he resigns.

Last edited by Pharcyde : 08-11-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Pharcyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #21
catsandheels
I brick open layups

catsandheels has an OK reputation so far

i hope feltin resigns tio but i hope we dont have to give him a long term deal so we can have some space to add more players that could help us get to the playoffs even though all the good players r gone hopefully we can get someone decent
catsandheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Look at the contract that we were roped into signing with Okafor. If we were able to trade him along with his contract, the let's just sign Felts to six years/$40Mil knowing that he'll be in demand enough that we'll be able to trade him if the FO finds someone they consider better than Felts or if they find a better financial deal similar to Okafor for Chandler.

onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:27 PM   #23
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board~spectre~ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsandheels
i hope feltin resigns tio but i hope we dont have to give him a long term deal so we can have some space to add more players that could help us get to the playoffs even though all the good players r gone hopefully we can get someone decent

His contract really isn't going to affect our overall cap except for next season, which we're pretty much screwed regardless. The good news is it's only for a year; in 2011 we'll likely be 15-20 million under the cap.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #24
BeebCats
Serious playground baller

BeebCats has an OK reputation so far

Good news! Somebody posted this at bobcatsplanet, figured I'd post here too:

Quote:
Felton: We're close to contract
Posted: Aug 28, 2009 4:55 PM EDT Updated: Aug 28, 2009 5:59 PM EDT

By Justin Felder - bio | email

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Latta High School alum Raymond Felton says he and the Charlotte Bobcats are close to a new contract.

The former UNC Tar Heel was in town playing at Detroit Piston Chris Wilcox's charity golf tournament, which raised money to fight lupus.

Felton is a restricted free agent with the Bobcats, meaning he can sign with any team but Charlotte has a chance to match the offer. Both parties have been negotiating for a while without a resolution, but Felton thinks a deal is coming soon.

"We're close, we're close," said Felton. "Maybe before training camp, something will be done. If not, I gotta do what I gotta do."

The Marion native says he's happy with his current team and he wants to stay in Charlotte.

"I'm not going anywhere," said Felton. "That's where I want to be. I feel like that's my second home at this point, so there's nowhere else I want to be at the moment."

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=11010415
BeebCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
Moose

I hope he stays with the Bobcats. He's a great fit under HC Larry Brown.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: