Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Ankle Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
I messed up my ankle too. Happened a couple of weeks ago, really hoping it heals quick since i got a ball tourney comimng up 3-4 weeks. Going to be a coming out party, haven't played a organized game for couple years but im not gonna dissappoint, gonna give it my all.

R.I.C.E. is helpful but man it doesn't do it all for you. I've messed up my ankles many times and the best thing to do is some physio to be honest. Worst case atleast just use those resistant bands to help strengthen your ankle and help gain some motion.

Also, the low cut thing does matter, i've played ball with low cuts and rolled on it and i fractured it and tore ligaments. When i don't wear low cuts and roll my ankle it isnt as bad but either way you cant prevent the injury.

All due respect, there is research that shows wearing high tops, especially all the time may actually weaken the ankle by reducing muscle activation and allowing the shoe to do the work instead of the muscles.

A fracture is almost always better than a sprain in terms of healing, why? Because one is forced to actually let it heal instead of continuing to play through a sprain.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #17
JerrySteakhouse
HEAT 2014-2015

JerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJerrySteakhouse is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
All due respect, there is research that shows wearing high tops, especially all the time may actually weaken the ankle by reducing muscle activation and allowing the shoe to do the work instead of the muscles.

A fracture is almost always better than a sprain in terms of healing, why? Because one is forced to actually let it heal instead of continuing to play through a sprain.

That may be true, but I'm not talking about high cuts, im talking about the difference between regular mid cuts and low cuts. I guess I should have made that more clear .

I definitely agree with the fracture/sprain thing, but after a fracture it doesn't seem the same... ive been through it.
JerrySteakhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #18
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
That may be true, but I'm not talking about high cuts, im talking about the difference between regular mid cuts and low cuts. I guess I should have made that more clear .

I definitely agree with the fracture/sprain thing, but after a fracture it doesn't seem the same... ive been through it.

I see, I haven't seen research on mid versus low. would be interesting I guess.

I can see someone being frustrated more with a cast on their leg, or in a boot. But the good thing is if one works their opposite side limb, there is some transfer of strength and muscle maintenence that occurs.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #19
thebullmark
Can barely lace up my sneakers

thebullmark has an OK reputation so far

My suggestion is use the H.E.M. Ankle Rehab system.

It is a killer rehab system for sprained ankles. For my last sprained ankle, instead of the typical month it would normally take me to heal, I was playing ball again in about a week. It has a killer rehab section that is simple to do.

But, what I think really differentiates H.E.M. is the prehab section, which I really dug. After my ankle was better, I kept using it and my ankles got much stronger. In fact, I was able to stop using my ankle braces and even though it's been 6 months, I have not had a single sprain since. The book is filled with tons of great exercises and stretches as well as some other really cool ideas for healing a sprained ankle really fast.

Oh yeah, and, it really improved my vertical jump and speed. So, in short, I can't recommend it enough. Best $20 I ever spent on something like this!!
thebullmark is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: