Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-12-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Monroe Makes The 2nd Team.....????

This was a huge snub. Monroe was easily one of the top 5 rookies this year. This article really says it all:

Quote:
In the end, it is not worth losing sleep over. Finishing lower than expected in the rookie of the year voting will have no ill effects on the career of Greg Monroe or the future success of the Detroit Pistons.

But it still makes no sense. Monroe clearly deserved to finish higher than sixth in the voting.

Let's look at those who received votes and figure out why.

•Blake Griffin, Los Angeles Clippers (22.5 points, 12.1 rebounds, 3.8 assists): Griffin earned all 118 first-place votes. He deserved them. Nothing to see here. Let's move on.

•John Wall, Washington Wizards (16.4 points, 4.6 rebounds, 8.3 assists): Twenty-two of the voters gave Wall a third-place vote. Five didn't even have him in their top three. That's puzzling, but Wall finished second in the balloting, right where he belonged, so there is no need to belabor the details.

•DeMarcus Cousins, Sacramento Kings (14.1 points, 8.6 rebounds): If you go based solely on numbers, Cousins is right where he belongs. I think one could make an argument that Monroe is more deserving of this spot based on his maturity level and his drastic improvement from the start of the season to the finish, but there is no need to quibble. It seemed logical that Cousins would finish third or fourth – with Monroe occupying the other spot – so Cousins in third makes sense.

•Landry Fields, New York Knicks (9.7 points, 6.4 rebounds): Pistons fans might be guilty of underestimating Fields, who had a great season. Fields was the 39th pick in the 2010 draft, so his impact was a surprise. He averaged almost 10 points per game while helping the Knicks to a 42-40 record and a spot in the postseason and played well from start to finish. But he seemed like the fifth-best rookie to me. The fact that he was mentioned on almost three times as many ballots as Monroe was -- 38 to 13 -- is shocking.

•Gary Neal, San Antonio Spurs (9.8 points, 2.5 rebounds): Neal received the same number of votes – 13 – as Monroe did, but he finished ahead of Monroe based on his three second-place votes. (Monroe received just one.) With all due respect to Neal, how three voters thought he had a better rookie season than Wall, Cousins, Fields and Monroe is beyond me.

•Greg Monroe (9.4 points, 7.5 rebounds): Monroe struggled in the preseason and early in the regular season, but no rookie improved more from the opener to the finale than he did. When the season started, he could not even get into the game. But his time on the bench didn't last long – just two games – and by the end of the season he was certainly the most consistent and arguably the best player on the Pistons roster.

Here is how I expected the voting to go. Griffin gets all the first-place votes. Wall gets a ton of second-place votes – 110 or so – with the rest of the voters picking him third. Cousins and Monroe split the vast majority of the third-place votes with a couple second-place votes mixed in. Cousins edges Monroe for third overall.

What hurt Monroe in voters' eyes? Tough to tell. Maybe Fields and Neal got some extra credit for playing on playoff teams. Maybe it's because Monroe is not flashy. Who knows.

Monroe deserved more votes – and more respect – than he got. But I doubt he will dwell on it. Expect him to continue to work hard, to improve his game, to show maturity beyond his years and to easily average a double-double next season.
http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.s...tml#incart_mce

Griffin and Wall I completely understand. I get that Cousins is still a better talent, though an arguement could be made at who is the best overall player. I really like what Fields and Neal did this season as rookies but they weren't better than Greg Monroe. I would debate since they had better players around them it helped them out that much more. The Pistons don't have a player that requires a double team. It makes things more difficult when your team doesn't have a player like that. Next year when he's tearing it up it won't matter anyway....
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:05 AM   #2
Kombo
:)

Kombo has decent reputationKombo has decent reputation
Default Re: Monroe Makes The 2nd Team.....????

Wall
Fields
Monroe
Griffin
Cousins

I'd have Monroe 4th overall.

Not too worried about it. Could be used as a little motivational tool on his part.
Kombo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: