Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Greg Monroe representing Pistons at 2011 Draft Lottery

Greg Monroe will represent the Pistons at the NBA lottery this week, which is ironic for two reasons. If the rest of the Pistons had shown as much professionalism as Monroe did, the team wouldn't be in the lottery. And this may be the first time all year they are actually calling Monroe's number. "I probably could count them on my hand, the plays that were called for me throughout the year," Monroe said Friday. Monroe laughed as he said it, and I doubt he is bitter about John Kuester's offensive choices. But it was ridiculous. Monroe was arguably the Pistons' best player for the last half of the season.

-- Detroit Free Press
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:33 AM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Greg Monroe representing Pistons at 2011 Draft Lottery

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Greg Monroe will represent the Pistons at the NBA lottery this week, which is ironic for two reasons. If the rest of the Pistons had shown as much professionalism as Monroe did, the team wouldn't be in the lottery. And this may be the first time all year they are actually calling Monroe's number. "I probably could count them on my hand, the plays that were called for me throughout the year," Monroe said Friday. Monroe laughed as he said it, and I doubt he is bitter about John Kuester's offensive choices. But it was ridiculous. Monroe was arguably the Pistons' best player for the last half of the season.

-- Detroit Free Press

Well, it doesn't look like we had the luck this year..... the #8 pick is really iffy in this weak draft.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 AM   #3
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Well, I don't feel like we lose much from 7 to 8, but it would have been nice to jump to 1,2 or 3. Especially since the team right below us got the #1 pick. Wish we had taken on B-Diddy's contract!
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

At this point Valanciunas and Biyombo look like huge gambles. Not to mention we aren't going to see a real Biyombo workout anytime soon. He had one great game against a team that was really undersized and people flipped out. I'm not sold on that. Sure there's potential but I think the guys that will end up being at least a solid contributor will all end up being picked before 8. If anybody slides the farthest it will be is 7 I think the needs the Kings have they will grab that player up. I just don't see any of the higher rated athletes falling beyond that spot since this draft is so weak. I don't see us drafting a big impact player that will change things around. Without a blockbuster trade it really seems like we could be in the lottery again next year. At least next year there's depth and we could end up with someone good. I think this rebuilding thing is going to take longer than I thought.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #5
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I think I want Markieff Morris if Biyombo is gone. I'd gamble on Biyombo at the 8th pick in a weak draft, oh well if it fails. Morris has perfect size, great motor,character and toughess and a more polished offensive game than the other PFs in this draft who defend on his level(like Biyombo,Faried etc). He's bigger and stronger than guys like Thompson and Faried as well. Valanciunas is probably too good of a talent to pass at 8 IF he is coming over thiis year. If we have to wait 2 years I'm not sure. It'd be sweet if we could draft a talented C like him and package him for M.Gasol, assuming Memphis couldn't pay him.

If Cleveland were to come calling wanting to clear the way for Kyrie Irving by dealing Baron Davis, would you take him for Ben Gordon and Will Bynum? Or something to that effect? Shorter contract by 1 year and we need a PG more than a SG. Davis can still play a little. It'd be an interesting backcourt with Stuckey,Rip and Davis.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
dd24
College superstar

If we were to draft Morris I'd rather trade down. I'm not sold on him yet, but I've been hearing he's impressing some people.

I agree about Valanciunas. He is a project, but so is Biyombo. I don't think either of them can contribute right away. That's why I was saying this rebuilding thing will take longer than expected and we may be in the lottery again next year.

As far as the Davis thing, that's kind of interesting. Plus if you meant we could move up to the 4th pick, that makes it even more interesting. I'd take a look at what type of players they could put together to make that happen. I'm all for moving BG. I think Rip could understand coming off the bench if Stuckey was in front of him too. They still might start Rip and Stuckey and have Davis come off the bench. He's got the least game of the three.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #7
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

I'd definiltey give Rip and the 8 for Davis and Kanter at 4!

I'd love to trade down for Houston's 2 picks and land Markieff Morris, Chris Singleton and then D.Morris with our 2nd rounder.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
dd24
College superstar

But there's a huge possibility the Jazz take Kanter at 3. Even Minnesota needs a C, much more than they need a SF in Williams. Kanter could go to them too. I think at number 4 it could be likely that it's Knight or Vesely. Some people think Utah will draft Knight but it doesn't make much sense to me because they have Devin Harris and they have needs at other positions. They were a team that desperately needed a big man in the middle last year, especially since Jefferson is really more of a PF. I guess it depends on if they want to keep playing Jefferson at C and Milsap at PF. They also need a SG, but drafting someone like Burks would be a stretch at 3. Maybe they have plans of trading Harris if they draft Knight.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Utah just got Favors to be their C of the future and they have Okur. They have Sap and Jefferson at the 4 too. Not sure they are thinking big man at all. Devin Harris is not the PG of the future and they probably flip him(here?) if they take Knight/Walker.

FTR, I think Utah's perfect draft is Derrick Williams and The Jimmer

Last edited by Nastradamus : 05-18-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Utah just got Favors to be their C of the future and they have Okur. They have Sap and Jefferson at the 4 too. Not sure they are thinking big man at all. Devin Harris is not the PG of the future and they probably flip him(here?) if they take Knight/Walker.

FTR, I think Utah's perfect draft is Derrick Williams and The Jimmer

No doubt if Williams fell to them they would take him in a hearbeat. With that said, Favors isn't a C. He's really more of a PF. Okur is constantly injured and that's why they've had issues at C. They had Jefferson playing there but he's really more of a PF too. Jefferson isn't a big enough defensive presence in the middle. He's a great scorer though. That's why I see them grabbing Kanter. It's also why I bring up the Fesenko thing that Detroit fans always want to fantasize about. If he couldn't play there he just plain can't play. They really need a C. If they take Knight they will need to trade Harris though. He certainly wouldn't be a happy camper and there are a lot of teams that could use a PG like him. He's really been a solid PG over the past few years.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
No doubt if Williams fell to them they would take him in a hearbeat. With that said, Favors isn't a C. He's really more of a PF. Okur is constantly injured and that's why they've had issues at C. They had Jefferson playing there but he's really more of a PF too. Jefferson isn't a big enough defensive presence in the middle. He's a great scorer though. That's why I see them grabbing Kanter. It's also why I bring up the Fesenko thing that Detroit fans always want to fantasize about. If he couldn't play there he just plain can't play. They really need a C. If they take Knight they will need to trade Harris though. He certainly wouldn't be a happy camper and there are a lot of teams that could use a PG like him. He's really been a solid PG over the past few years.

Fesenko was actually very good when they used him, but with Jefferson and Sap needing minutes, AK playing some 4 and Favors being acquired, he was often out of the rotation. Plus he is terrible and unskilled offensively. IMO though he is a Kendrick Perkins level defender. THe team's plus minus soared whenever they put Fesenko on the floor and took Jefferson off of it.

I never said Jefferson was a C. We agree there.

Okur basically had one injury, but I wasn't suggesting counting on him anyways.

Favors is a pure C all around. He CAN play PF, but he will be a C in this league. He plays a lot more like Tyson Chandler,Marcus Camby or a poor man's Dwight than any PF in this league. He's the same size as Dwight coming out. He's not only tall,long and athletic enough to be a Center, but he also has a nice wide body to put more weight on to if he so desires. Nothing about his game or his size makes him a PF and with Jefferson and Sap at the 4, they need an athletic shot blocker type to play the C spot.

More so though, if Favors is not a C in your eyes, Kanter is certainly not. Kanter is actually kind of similar to Al Jefferson. He's not an elite shot blocker and he doesn't have elite shot blocking or athleticism
Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

I don't remember Favors playing much C and everybody lists him as a PF. It's not to say he doesn't have the ability to switch between the two but I think he's more naturally a PF kind of guy. It's not like we've seen much of him yet but it would seem like that's where a team would want him.

The other thing with Fesenko is his work ethic. He doesn't have one. If he had one I would be more for it. The guy is constantly out of shape and really doesn't seem like the type to try to develop his game and he doesn't have the hunger to want to get better. I'd much rather have a guy who loves the game. At least those guys with potential are more likely to get better.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #13
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Fesenko's a guy I wouldn't pay more than say, 3/10. I'm not suggesting him as some sort of answer. I just want him as a beefy backup for Monroe at the C spot.

Favors played next to Lopez in NJ and I don't know what he played in Utah when he was out there, but with all their PFs, I'd imagine he had to play the 5. Either way, there is absolutely nothing that precludes him from being a C, that was my overall point, and having traded their franchise player for him and already having Pf pretty covered, I think they'll give him a shot.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: