Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 06-30-2006, 01:59 AM   #1
Baller
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Baller has an OK reputation so far
Default My take, and grade of our 76ers draft

Well I give them a C, And that's nice of me.

First off, you all may like Carney, but me, I really have problems with this selection. Carney has been totally Inconsistent his entire 4 years at Memphis. He doesn't nearly rebound, or get enough steals for his athletic ability and length. Look, it's one thing to maybe take a flier on this kid IF Seattle and OKC hadn't helped us out before # 13. I mean Seattle screws up in my opinion by taking the totally RAW Sene at # 10, and OKC at # 12 takes Hilton Armstrong. Well JESUS F'ing Christ! We had NC State's Ced Simmons just waiting there for us at # 13. And this guy according to the ESPN guys was ranked as a # 7 overall prospect. I mean where is our PF depth on this team, I mean ones with ACTUAL Skills and Potential ?

Simmons is a legit 6 ft, 10, and with great Athletic ability, and a 7ft, 5 wingspan, and 9ft, 2 standing reach. He played in that crazy " Princton style "
offense at NC State, which took him routinually out of the box, and yet he still averaged way over 3 1/2 blocked shots a game. I know he's young at 20 years old. But Webber's deal is up in two years. Simmons would have been primed to take over at that time. To lose out on him, or even Brewer, who I definitely feel was way better suited to guard SF than Carney will ever be, could have been had at # 13 as well. And we ONLY got some cash, and a 2008 2ND ROUNDER from the Bulls ???

Sorry fans but if the Bulls wanted that guy at # 13 SO BADLY, then BK should have played " Hard Ball " He should have demanded a 2008 1st rounder from the Bulls IF Simmons was gone at # 16. If it turned out he was still there at # 16, then BK could have said fine, we'll make it a 2008 2nd rounder. Again fans sorry but you DON'T let a Biggie with Simmons size, and length and defensive abilities just slip away from your grasp. Carney would have been acceptable IF both Brewer and Simmons were gone by # 13, but neither were. This was a God send for us. And BK just lets it go right
by us..( Moron )

Carney is just under 6ft, 6, and weighs less than 207 Lbs. No way in HELL can he ever hope to guard NBA SF's. And Iggy can't either as was proved the last two seasons. Okay maybe our 2nd rounder Jones can, that was his speciality, defense. But getting a young PF with Simmons athletic traits would have been HUGE for us. Carney has all the Athletic ability, but he doesn't use it. The guy shot over 800 3 Pt shots at Memphis....800 for Christ sakes! He also has very terrible handles, can't dribble at all, and he even admitted as much. He won't be a bust cause I do think he can D it up. But so can Iggy, and they both basically play the same spot. Brewer is 1 1/2 inches taller, and 20 Lbs heavier, and COULD guard NBA SF's with his extra size & strength. He also has great handles and is a better Athlete than Carney with way better shooting skills.

My choice would have been to stay at # 13 and take either of them, but probably Simmons cause Big's don't come easy.
But to traqde down, and lose out on BOTH of them, and ONLY get a 2008 2nd round choice from Chicago is as STUPID,, or should I say as Billy King as they come.

No problem with Jones in round 2. But the Toronto guy we just bought, he'll never see the pros. It is written about him that all he does is wait out on the outside waiting for the ball to hoist up 3 Pt shots. Nothing else to his game.
He's a waste of loot...period!!

Those are the facts of our draft fans,,,and they CAN'T be argued with!
Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM   #2
NBAfan32
High school junior varsity star

NBAfan32 has an OK reputation so far

Your not the only one not excited about the Carney pick. I wanted either Ronnie Brewer or Cedric Simmons. If they do decide to trade AI to the Celtics, we are rumored to get Rondo and Green as the primary pieces...Ced Simmons wouldve been the perfect fit since he can just step in when we get rid of Brewer. I agree that Bobby Jones was a great pickup in the second round. We need more of gritty defensive players.
NBAfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
ppierce34

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

I thought they had a good draft. I would have liked Brewer instead of Carney, but I do like Carney and think that is a good pick and a guy with a lot of potential. I also like a second round pick being picked up as well, so that evens it out for me. And Bobby Jones was a good move as well.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM   #4
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

Cedric Simmons would have been a good pick. The team is trying to get more athletic on the perimeter. The defense was terrible last year. That's why they drafted a 6'6 athletic SG (like Iguodala).

Quote:
He should have demanded a 2008 1st rounder from the Bulls IF Simmons was gone at # 16.

There is no way the Bulls would have done that.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
mln03
I airball my layups

mln03 has an OK reputation so far

until we see what ai will fetch (al jefferson?) i'm not gonna complain about the draft. if they're that close to acquiring someone like that why draft an unpolished big who can only play d, when you already have 2 players like that (dalembert/hunter) already. If they don't get anybody like that in return for ai....then i'll be pi**ed off.
mln03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
ppierce34

ppierce34 has an OK reputation so far

I wouldn't be pissed if they didn't get a big in return for AI. They'll be rebuilding, they're not gonna do it all in one year. If they move AI and don't take in any long term deals, they'll be on their way to being under the cap, they'll also probably not be a very good team next year which will give them a good pick since it's lottery protected. Good young players and flexibility in return is what they need.
ppierce34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

sixerfan3511 has decent reputation

we dont need simmons, we already have 2 raw offensive shot blocking skinny big guys. I liked our pics, they make us more athletic and they can d up. I wouldve liked brewer more, but at least we didnt keep sefolosha. I was scared when we took him...
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: