Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 12-14-2011, 10:50 AM   #1
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation
Default Meyers Leonard:

Ogod,

anyone who isn't an Illini fan seen this kid this year? When I see him I think NBA (after this season.)

He's 7'1 an athletic, understands when to pass, can even hit a little jumper.

Dude has to be a lotto pick. I hope he stays, but I can't see why he would. He is exactly the type of body and talent that NBA scouts die for.

Think about people like Hibbert or Thabeet; those guys were bigger than Meyers but not THAT much bigger and Meyers is so much more athletic. It's been a couple years since a 7 footer with athleticism who wasn't a total stiff played college bball; am I wrong?

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Meyers Leonard:

Meyers could go lotto, but he'd be a project big man. I think if he has a solid season, he'd go in the late lottery. Right now he needs to be more aggressive, both offensively and defensively. Also he needs to stop it with the Mike Tisdale rebounding mentality. No reason he shouldn't be grabbing 9 a game. I know we play a slower pace, but he's been giving up boards to smaller guys.

He's going to be a fantastic player one day. Probably the big man we've had since I've become an Illini. I know that's not saying much (he's competing against Mike Davis, Shaun Pruitt, Roger Powell Jr., and Auggie) but I like what I've seen.

I hope he stays one more year. With his rate of improvement, he'd be a top 5 pick next year.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
Meyers could go lotto, but he'd be a project big man. I think if he has a solid season, he'd go in the late lottery. Right now he needs to be more aggressive, both offensively and defensively. Also he needs to stop it with the Mike Tisdale rebounding mentality. No reason he shouldn't be grabbing 9 a game. I know we play a slower pace, but he's been giving up boards to smaller guys.

He's going to be a fantastic player one day. Probably the big man we've had since I've become an Illini. I know that's not saying much (he's competing against Mike Davis, Shaun Pruitt, Roger Powell Jr., and Auggie) but I like what I've seen.

I hope he stays one more year. With his rate of improvement, he'd be a top 5 pick next year.

lol, I haven't been watching the Illini much longer than you. I started as a kid when Kiwane Garris was our "star." Point being, I don't think that the Illini have some great history of big men. I can't think of anyone who is better than Leonard.

He does that jump passing shit which I hate, but otherwise he does almost everything right. And rebounding is important, but when you've got everyone else getting boards, it doesn't matter as much. I think his presence and tap outs on the offensive glass plus putbacks is on point.

People are mad at him cuz he got worked a couple times by dude from St Bon, but truth be told as the game went in he stopped dude in the clutch and scored on him in the clutch. The mistakes he made were easy to fix, too, he just leaned on him a bit too much and constantly let him spin. If he just relaxed a bit, he'd be fine. As you saw by the end of the game.

He IS a prospect big, but he's a lotto prospect big. I remember my cousin was talking to me when I was gushing about Sullinger. He was like wait til you see this kid Meyers Leonard. And I was like oh word?? He did some things last year, but this year he is coming out as one of the top bigs IMO. There's no reason to think he's not, by NBA standards, one of the best prospects in awhile. And I pride myself on being objective when I judge Illini players. lol.

I'm just saying, he is our impact player now. BP is my favorite and DJ/Sam are doing things... everyone is fitting into our plan, but Meyers is the one that is gonna put us over the top vs the good teams. If we go deep, he's gone.

Edit: Also you're right about him being a top pick if he stays another year and plays well, but if I'm an NBA GM why not give him a lotto promise, scoop him up a year early and get him training on an NBA Level. He got bigger in the offseason, but this dude is a mutant. When he 'fills out' he's gonna be like 275 and athletic IMO.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 12-16-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #4
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

The Big Skinny is considered somewhat coolThe Big Skinny is considered somewhat cool

lolwat?

That kid needs to stay in school and refine his game. He is no lottery pick.

homers.......
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
lolwat?

That kid needs to stay in school and refine his game. He is no lottery pick.

homers.......
This.

He needs to stay for another year at least, if he went this year he'd probably be a Second round pick, if he waits another year he could sneak into the lottery.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #6
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
This.

He needs to stay for another year at least, if he went this year he'd probably be a Second round pick, if he waits another year he could sneak into the lottery.
I think he would be a first rounder this year, but I agree that he needs to stay another year.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniFan
I think he would be a first rounder this year, but I agree that he needs to stay another year.

I hate that these people really think dude is some trashy player that Illini fans are hyping up cuz we are homers. heh.

That aside, I don't think he NEEDS to stay, but it would be great if he did. That'd make us one of the top teams next year.

I wouldn't mind having Egwu as our starting C if Leonard wants to do his NBA thing, though.

-Smak
Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
I hate that these people really think dude is some trashy player that Illini fans are hyping up cuz we are homers. heh.

That aside, I don't think he NEEDS to stay, but it would be great if he did. That'd make us one of the top teams next year.

I wouldn't mind having Egwu as our starting C if Leonard wants to do his NBA thing, though.

-Smak
I like him, don't think he's trashy, I think he's good. But he's not ready for the NBA and I think scouts will see that, he could sneak into the first round this year, but if he stayed, he'd more than likely be a lottery pick. So, that's why I say he should stay.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I like him, don't think he's trashy, I think he's good. But he's not ready for the NBA and I think scouts will see that, he could sneak into the first round this year, but if he stayed, he'd more than likely be a lottery pick. So, that's why I say he should stay.

Pretty sure by March unless he gets an injury that scouts are going to see he is, in fact, ready for the NBA. I think they are already seeing it. People see him as a lotto pick next year, sure, but that's now. A long time between now and the end of the season.

He had a couple of bad games against good comp, and he'll be tested again tonight, but his body is very NBA ready, he's smart (even though he makes dumb mistakes, he has good ideas), and he's got 'skill.'

People are already throwing hard doubles at him.

-Smak
Old 01-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Let's go Meyers. Getting that hype. Even got an ESPN article. I hope he doesn't let it go to his head.

-Smak
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

needs one more year imo

but he'll be a solid player in the league with his size and mobility
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: