Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default How does steve nash do it?

I was watching the Suns the other day and thinking about Nash still playing at the highest level and he's only a few years from 40. I'm several years younger than Nash and I hurt for days after I play. I know he has trainers that work to keep him in shape but it still seems like paying with 20 year old's several days a week would have to wear on him
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Kiarip
High School Starter

Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: How does steve nash do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
I was watching the Suns the other day and thinking about Nash still playing at the highest level and he's only a few years from 40. I'm several years younger than Nash and I hurt for days after I play. I know he has trainers that work to keep him in shape but it still seems like paying with 20 year old's several days a week would have to wear on him

you have to train a lot, with all types of stuff, and eat lots of protein, especially at such an age.

If you're constantly working out, and your body is constantly rebuilding the muscles then you can get into a rhythm where you can avoid lots of soreness, especially if you take long showers/baths after the workouts, massage your muscles a bit, and keep them warm while you're resting.

The worst is when you only play once every one or two weeks, then you're gonna be sore after every time but you're never gonna build yourself up to a rhythm where your body is taking your activity seriously again, and that's the part that gets worse as you age (along with joints and injuries,) younger athletes can take days off from doing things like stretching, and working out in general, and it usually even benefits their performance because it allows them to fully recover, but the older you get the more you need to make sure you're constantly on the move, never on a "lazy streak."
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

Quote:

If you're not playing on a gym floor then that's the problem. If you played on outside courts and pavement you're going to end of with no knee caps by the time you turn 30......
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
01amberfirewv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictator
If you're not playing on a gym floor then that's the problem. If you played on outside courts and pavement you're going to end of with no knee caps by the time you turn 30......

That may be part of my problem lol, I'm 33. I do play indoors though which does seem to help but I workout regularly. I lift 4 days a week and try to get up shots several days a week
Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #5
mr beast
BEAST

mr beast has no real reputation yet.

dynamic stretch before the game

static stretch after the game

watch your diet (if you are working out then you probably know what balance is right for what you are after)

make sure you are getting enough rest and sleep

i think the tricks to the pros are that they get physical trainers/therapists working with them to release the tensions after the game, that helps a great deal so you are not sore tomorrow and traveling all the time
mr beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

To be fair, Nash is a superstar NBA athlete, despite common conception. Add perfect nutrition, training, and the best training staff in sports, and you have Steve Nash beasting at his age.

As for you, learn about great nutrition and make sure your muscles are getting enough rest. Also, sleep 8 hours a night for recovery.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
01amberfirewv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushxx
To be fair, Nash is a superstar NBA athlete, despite common conception. Add perfect nutrition, training, and the best training staff in sports, and you have Steve Nash beasting at his age.

As for you, learn about great nutrition and make sure your muscles are getting enough rest. Also, sleep 8 hours a night for recovery.

Yeah, I know that's the obvious answer and hes one of my favorite players for it. I am in pretty good shape but I don't get enough sleep and I think years of abuse in the weight room have taken a toll on my body
Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beast
dynamic stretch before the game

static stretch after the game

watch your diet (if you are working out then you probably know what balance is right for what you are after)

make sure you are getting enough rest and sleep

i think the tricks to the pros are that they get physical trainers/therapists working with them to release the tensions after the game, that helps a great deal so you are not sore tomorrow and traveling all the time

stretching doesn't help. Actually it'll probably cause a higher % of injury.
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Yeah, I know that's the obvious answer and hes one of my favorite players for it. I am in pretty good shape but I don't get enough sleep and I think years of abuse in the weight room have taken a toll on my body

Well there you go. Not resting muscles is going to mess you up bigtime. The fibers won't grow back well and when they do, they won't be stronger than before.

Resting muscle groups before using them again and getting enough sleep is #1 when it comes to sports, lifting, anything.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: