Originally Posted by Carbine
1) For as much flake as A-Rod gets, he's going down as one of the top 5 baseball players in the history of the game. Some people don't view him as a top five player in baseball at this moment. That's fine. Baseball, moreso than any other sport remembers individual numbers rather than team performance. I would love to have a subpar season hitting for 35/120. He has about 5-8 years to get rid of the choke lable.
2) Al Pacino is the meanest actor of all time. Has anyone ever embraced and performed the role of a character as good as Pacino did with Michael Corleone? He WAS Michael.
His speech in any given sunday is awesome. Obviously if you're a fan of Pacino you know his voice is totally different with age, but for one moment during that speech he sounds exactly like Michael Corleone. A chilling moment.
3) The movie 300 is overrated by the majority of people. It wasn't that good. The only thing that makes that movie appealing is the awesome look to it. The cast, screenplay, etc, is subpar.
4) Tim Duncan is something else. His team could win 60 this year and it's ho-hum...it's expected - because it's his team. Not to many players can win like that year in and year out.
5) When I watch the Mavericks play I don't feel as if I'm watching an all-time great team out there. I mean I know about their record and where it will stand in history...but I don't get the feeling of them being on that level. It's probably because they never won a championship.
That is all for now.
I'm curious to your opinions on these five things.
1. No way top 5 of all time, I am not much of a baseball fan but there is no way he cracks top 5 EVER. Not even close.
2. He was fantastic in The Godfather, but De Niro was even better in Godfather II. Other AMAZING, not just good, performances off the top of my head:
F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri in Amadeus
...Simply amazing performance, this entire movie is PERFECT. Go rent it right now!!
Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull
Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront
Dustin Hoffman as Raymond in Rain Man
There are tons more that are great but not quite at the level of above: Dustin Hoffman, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Ian McKellan and more are always fantastic. And even though he is usually the Supporting Actor and his characters are very similar, I love Joe Pesci. He is always hilarious and always good.
3. 300 is not overrated, it was absolutely beautiful to watch and visually stunning.I felt as if I was watching a battle on an alien planet with all of the fantastic monsters and characters. Far from my favorite, but I loved it. Yes, very cliche dialogue in some areas, but if you can watch a movie with the sound off and still be enamored by it, you are watching a good movie.
4. I'm worn out from discussing movies...Tim Duncan is pure class. Several rings, MVP, All Star etc. and yet consistently ignored for more flash (double meaning!). I'm bored to tears watching him and the Spurs play but he is one of the best ever.
5. Until they win at least two rings, I cannot even consider them with the greatest teams ever. It's not fair to them or the legendary Bulls, Lakers, Celtics etc.