Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Lakers interested in Calderon if they sign Nash...

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...n-gasol-in-l-a

Toronto might have to waive Calderon if Nash agrees to sign a 3-yr
deal worth $36mil !!!!!

I don't know if Calderon is an upgrade over Sessions... Calderon's D
is very weak.. and Sessions can improve a lot more over time.

Does anyone like Calderon?
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Lakers interested in Calderon if they sign Nash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmanfan
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...n-gasol-in-l-a

Toronto might have to waive Calderon if Nash agrees to sign a 3-yr
deal worth $36mil !!!!!

I don't know if Calderon is an upgrade over Sessions... Calderon's D
is very weak.. and Sessions can improve a lot more over time.

Does anyone like Calderon?

There are some really dumb teams out there!!!!!
Steve Nash 3 years at $36 million.........at his age????
That's more than double his value at that length, and who were they really competing against?
Clippers move was also a stupid one to pay Odom 8 million coming off that season and not waiting for Dallas to just waive him.

Hmmmm.......I wonder why some teams never win
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
There are some really dumb teams out there!!!!!
Steve Nash 3 years at $36 million.........at his age????
That's more than double his value at that length, and who were they really competing against?
Clippers move was also a stupid one to pay Odom 8 million coming off that season and not waiting for Dallas to just waive him.

Hmmmm.......I wonder why some teams never win

Well in the defense of GM's, they looked at market value for old players that are HOFers like Garnett, and said "hey he's getting paid 34 in 3 years, maybe Nash should too".

The interesting about nash is that he doesn't seem to get hurt, and that his game is still very much effective, even at his current age.

Plus, if it helps in bringing calderon, do it.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Well in the defense of GM's, they looked at market value for old players that are HOFers like Garnett, and said "hey he's getting paid 34 in 3 years, maybe Nash should too".

The interesting about nash is that he doesn't seem to get hurt, and that his game is still very much effective, even at his current age.

Plus, if it helps in bringing calderon, do it.

Remember when we got Karl Malone.....a big factor was that he was never hurt......and then he broke down on the Lakers.
Young guys cannot relate to this but when you approach 40 all kinds of weird things start breaking down on your body, it doesn't matter what your body type is. This is why guys retire. You would be lucky to get 1 great year out of Nash........and remember, he plays no defense.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

one thing Calderon has over Sessions is experience in big moments. Sessions couldn't handle the playoffs, Jose has been playing big games for a long time and I don't think he shrinks, although playoff ball is different than international ball but its still high level ball

but if they amnesty him, there will be teams interested. Remember what happened with Billups? Everyone waited for him to clear waivers and the Clips claimed him for the min, Jose will get the same treatment if he gets amnestied.
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Remember when we got Karl Malone.....a big factor was that he was never hurt......and then he broke down on the Lakers.
Young guys cannot relate to this but when you approach 40 all kinds of weird things start breaking down on your body, it doesn't matter what your body type is. This is why guys retire. You would be lucky to get 1 great year out of Nash........and remember, he plays no defense.

Yeah well he's never played a lick of D in his life

I'll point out the difference here. As you mentioned he doesn't really play D. He barely even attacks the basket aggressively. He can get in the paint in a very finesse way, he takes the jump shot, he makes the great pass, he throws up a nice layup. Offensively he doesn't have to play that physical. He does damage without getting touched.

Karl Malone on the other hand was in the paint wrestling huge guys. Taking a physical beating, and giving them to others as well (never hard to forget vintage karl lol). It showed especially in the playoffs, after the physicality was increased, that at that age he couldn't hang. He was 40 that year right?

Well Nash and Garnett still have a couple of OK years left they can give. I really think keeping KG for that long, and that much was a mistake. Can't really comment on Nash because we have yet to see how that whole situation plays out with him.

But back to my initial point. I do see what you mean, but im just saying the money he is reportedly being offered is because of relativity and not necessarily what his value really is.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
Yeah well he's never played a lick of D in his life

I'll point out the difference here. As you mentioned he doesn't really play D. He barely even attacks the basket aggressively. He can get in the paint in a very finesse way, he takes the jump shot, he makes the great pass, he throws up a nice layup. Offensively he doesn't have to play that physical. He does damage without getting touched.

Karl Malone on the other hand was in the paint wrestling huge guys. Taking a physical beating, and giving them to others as well (never hard to forget vintage karl lol). It showed especially in the playoffs, after the physicality was increased, that at that age he couldn't hang. He was 40 that year right?

Well Nash and Garnett still have a couple of OK years left they can give. I really think keeping KG for that long, and that much was a mistake. Can't really comment on Nash because we have yet to see how that whole situation plays out with him.

But back to my initial point. I do see what you mean, but im just saying the money he is reportedly being offered is because of relativity and not necessarily what his value really is.

I guess this is what teams and players who don't care about winning, I just don't get that mentality.......so if all they are looking to do is get people in the stands and if all he cares about is the money....ok for them then, they will both be very happy.
I still don't respect that from a team or individual.

LF, I'm telling you that it's not about any amount of contact, sh!t happens as you approach 40 just out of the blue......playing a pro sport only makes it worse.

Last edited by DKLaker : 07-02-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I guess this is what teams and players who don't care about winning, I just don't get that mentality.......so if all they are looking to do is get people in the stands and if all he cares about is the money....ok for them then, they will both be very happy.
I still don't respect that from a team or individual.

LF, I'm telling you that it's not about any amount of contact, sh!t happens as you approach 40 just out of the blue......playing a pro sport only makes it worse.

Well lets examine this for a second. What other center was available for the celtics that was better than KG? I would have given KG a 1 year deal. The 3 years was too much definitely. Now they kept a legit post presence for the time being. The business works in funny ways. But hey, at least we didn't sign him .
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Well lets examine this for a second. What other center was available for the celtics that was better than KG? I would have given KG a 1 year deal. The 3 years was too much definitely. Now they kept a legit post presence for the time being. The business works in funny ways. But hey, at least we didn't sign him .

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: