Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Lakers invite Reeves Nelson to training camp

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10871

possibly to replace Matt Barnes. is he a good fit?
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Lakers invite Reeves Nelson to training camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkinchen
http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=10871

possibly to replace Matt Barnes. is he a good fit?

IMO no, what has this guy ever done to make anyone think he can play in the NBA???
I don't know what the Lakers fascination is with this guy

I hope he has conquered his demons and stays out of trouble but I don't see his as an NBA player in the near future.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

kkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this boardkkinchen has one of the lowest reputations on this board

They also signed 7'3" rookie Greg Somogyi to a non guaranteed contract. Can he make the team? I looked him up and he looks surprisingly mobile even though his stats are quite mediocre.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

A couple of training camp scrubs. They'll be cut before the season starts.

Although if they have something special to show, there is hope. However this team has everything it needs.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #5
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
A couple of training camp scrubs. They'll be cut before the season starts.

Although if they have something special to show, there is hope. However this team has everything it needs.

One of my many weaknesses is the ability to tell if players can really make it good in the NBA.
I saw Nelson play I thought he was pretty good in UCLA, esp his first 2 yrs there. I mean the guy is tough, has decent handles, perimeter and inside moves. Oh did I mention he is tough?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
One of my many weaknesses is the ability to tell if players can really make it good in the NBA.
I saw Nelson play I thought he was pretty good in UCLA, esp his first 2 yrs there. I mean the guy is tough, has decent handles, perimeter and inside moves. Oh did I mention he is tough?

Yeah but what I mean by special is there is something that stands out from him. Something that is so special that the lakers will have to keep him. Its rare you find someone that can offer that. We'll see what he looks like in pre-season.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #7
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

It's a damn tough thing to judge who can and can't make it in the NBA, it takes years of misses to get it right. Even if a guy has all the talent in the world, skill set beyond belief, it doesn't mean he can play in the NBA...or if he does it doesn't mean he will be a star. The mental aspect as much as anything is hugely important, a player has to believe in himself even when no one else does, he has to be coachable but independent, has to be willing to take the heat just as well as take the praise with a level head, HAS TO WORK HARD, has to be comfortable playing with and against the best collection of players of his life, has to move fluidly and have a level of swagger...not extreme....lol. Has to have the discipline to stay hungry and dedicated to the sport once the contract is signed for more money than he has ever seen.....and stay free of outside distractions.
So many of these issues have taken extremely talented players right out of the league.
An interesting case is Eddie Jones and Kobe, Eddie had every bit as much talent and athleticism as Kobe but not a drop of the fire and heart.....he had a good NBA career...but was just flat out not a step up guy nor winner, he didn't want the spotlight nor attention. Smush Parker....remember him Lakerfreak....lol, Smush was painfully shy to the extreme to the point that when he outplayed Steve Nash down the stretch of a playoff win and all credit went to him, he shut down and couldn't play up to his abilities. I stood with and talked to Smush moments before he was to give a speech at a camp, the guy was about to pass out and kept saying he couldn't do it....he flat out didn't want attention at any point....ok if on a bad team......bad to be a Laker. Roy Tarpley....sensational talent, HOF lock....if only he hadn't become addicted to drugs. Mark Madsen was a freaking BEAST in college at Stanford but shouldn't have been drafted into the NBA, he was way too small and not athletic enough to have a real career at the PF position, this was extremely obvious as I watched him play at Stanford......but one hell of a great person for real
What made Kobe and Michael Jordan great.......they weren't the fastest players ever, not the most athletic, not the best shooters, not the biggest, not the strongest, not the baddest. It was the undeniable determination to win, win at everything, win at all costs, work at all times to be the best and stay the best....along with great physical ability. The greatest player who would've ever lived would be Shaq if he had the mind of Kobe....who the hell could've ever stopped that???? That players would put up 120-130 points eventually. Will that guy ever happen??

Ok......getting really long on this and I could discuss a million players

Last edited by DKLaker : 09-08-2012 at 04:56 AM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

You should throw in Ginobli too considering he helped lead the spurs to 3 championships after being drafted at 59 overall. Not bad eh?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

TryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation here

Make plays, Make the roster.
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryToBeUnbias
Make plays, Make the roster.

Unfortunately thats not ALWAYS the case. From the looks of things, there is already a set rotation pretty much. How can you fit the "new guy" with a non-guaranteed contract on to a team that already has a plan?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: