Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #151
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Eli Manning and the Dreaded Underrated Word

Eli >>> Your mom. And I bet your mom is just lovely.

Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #152
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Sorry, not taking. Winning is more of a team accomplishment.
So Brady really isn't an all time great, right? Because he was on some fantastic teams, and the fact he led those teams is personally what makes me think he's in the GOAT conversation. But unless you are just being a whiny biased homer, i'd assume you think Brady is vastly overrated, his sucess coming from his team and Bellicheck, right?

Or do different teams have different rules?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #153
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Jerry Jones: Biggest difference between Giants and Cowboys is Eli Manning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wboys/related/

Oh man, shots fired straight from the owners mouth.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #154
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Jerry Jones: Biggest difference between Giants and Cowboys is Eli Manning

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...wboys/related/

Oh man, shots fired straight from the owners mouth.

oh snaps......oh no he didn't..........mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmm..........
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #155
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

the actual words:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...75988/34552581

Quote:
Jerry Jones is in Mobile, Alabama this week for the Senior Bowl because, in addition to being the Cowboys' owner, he's also the general manager. The man who wears many hats in Dallas took time out from evaluating the next crop of draft-eligible players to talk about the Cowboys, whose Week 17 loss to the Giants kept them out of the playoffs.

“I thought (Tony) Romo was competing at a level that would’ve given us that opportunity but the rest of us need to play better and get better before we can really gel the way the Giants are,” Jones said via CBSSports.com Rapid Reporter Nick Eatman.

Hard to disagree with that. According to Football Outsiders, Romo was No. 4 in quarterback efficiency behind Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. Eli ranked sixth (Matthew Stafford was fifth).

After ESPNDallas' Calvin Watkins tweeted Monday that "Jerry Jones said the biggest difference between the Cowboys and Giants is Eli Manning. He did praise Tony Romo," there was some confusion that Jones preferred Eli to Tony. Not at all. In fact, Jones was only implying that New York is in the Super Bowl because Manning is playing out of his mind.

“I don’t want to take anything away [from the Giants] but the big difference was Eli came up here and started what seemed like a pretty significant [stretch]," Jones said. "But the quarterback play with Eli was the huge difference. But I was pretty impressed with how they’ve defense played the last three or four ball games. …

"We had good quarterback play, but I'd say as a team, they just got better and better near the end," he added. "Their depth, that's how I view us. I had counted -- we had counted -- on getting better, and we didn't. We went the other way."
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #156
Sarcastic

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...nce-for-giants

He certainly praised him.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #157
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Why the f uck would you incite prime in this thread bringing Jerry Jones' delusional ass into this?

The same guy who thinks he is an effective GM
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #158
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Eli deserves praise...obviously

although maybe not for that last game so much...but he played well against Dallas
Old 01-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #159
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Eli deserves praise...obviously

although maybe not for that last game so much...but he played well against Dallas

Considering the conditions and the defense he was up against, he played great. He certainly played better than Brady, who admitted he stunk.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #160
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
This guy has never gotten a fair shake ever since he forced his way to NY in a very memorable draft day trade. He seems like a goof ball, sure he often looks confused out there (even though he recorded one of the highest wonderlic scores of all time in the NFL). The word underrated is probably one of the most misused words in all of sports. We often rate players correctly and as a result due to lots of players being overrated (mainly due to media) we think that a guy like Drew Brees is underrated, when in fact he's rated correctly.

If I were to make an argument for any Quarterback in the NFL being underrated it'd be Eli.

Let's talk the stuff we can grade on paper. He has one of the best arms in the NFL. Even though his delivery may be a bit unorthodox he has a better arm then his beloved brother even (admittedly so). He can make every single throw and for a while he showed some poor mechanics (i.e. throwing off his back foot) but that's all but a distant memory.

People like to talk about his laid back demeanor as a fault. If anything it helps him out. He's rare in the sense that he can have a horrible 3 quarters of football, full of bad passes, drops by his WRs, sacks from the opposing defenses, turnovers, and still come right back in their the next drive and instantly forget about it. I've seen him do this countless teams, he's pretty unshakable. I've seen lots of QBs over the years get down on themselves, when the mistakes start to pile up they begin to snowball. Mcnabb was a perfect example of this when he played for Philly - when the going was good, he was excellent but when things didn't go his way he often struggled.

I also find it funny that he had one of the greatest post season runs ever and yet it gets swept under the rug. Everyone loves to say how dominant their defensive line was, and obviously this is true but he still played brilliantly and made plenty of plays. If you go back and look at any SB winning team there is usually one common denominator - a great defense.

I am not claiming he's Aaron Rodgers or even Drew Brees for that matter. I am claiming he's in the tier below them which makes him an excellent QB that is very "clutch". I would take very few QBs over him and I think besides the Saints he has the best shot to upset the Packers and come out of the NFC.

Interesting.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #161
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Not sure how he's underrated, everyone usually rates him right where he belongs. You either live under a rock or listen to only people who hate NY/Eli.

Also, he didn't have one of the greatest post-season runs ever. He played very well, but not anywhere near the Montana's runs, Rodgers run last year, Brees's run the year before, Kurt Warner's run, etc.... Eli played well, but not "historically" well.

I don't think he has a big arm either. I watch Rodgers throw a ball, and then Eli....big difference. I think Eli has a good arm, but so do numerous other quarterbacks in the league. He doesn't separate himself from the pack.
ISH's resident football tool ^
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM   #162
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Johnnysic is a dumb football fan.

It still stings prime to say Eli > Romo.

Hey prime, Marlo agrees Eli > Romo. Now you can take back all the compliments you have for him after he agreed with you in the other thread. F*cking tool.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #163
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

No marlo was dead on here, this was before Eli's win last year...and Eli went on to prove him right

I don't see marlo saying anything about Romo but obviously we aren't going to agree on everything...
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #164
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
ISH's resident football tool ^

Why are you quoting me? Is there something I said that was wrong at the time I posted that?

I'm missing your point other than being consistently on my ****.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #165
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Kris Kross will make ya

BUMP! BUMP!
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: