Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #46
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: eal Signature moves: Charles Barkley the Gorilla Dunk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Just to throw my hat into the ring about the whole Charles Barkley height thing - I tend to use his mugshot as a very loose reference. First, I figure he's wearing shoes in the picture, which is most often how heights are listed in the NBA. Second, I figure even if the mug shot weren't entirely accurate, it likely wasn't off by 3+ inches:

He probably had on dress shoes with an elevated heel to go with that shirt.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #47
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain

AlphaWolf24 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I do go by what Barkley says, and unlike you I don't take quotes from his book out of context:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDz2yGoK_xk&t=1m

Chick Hearn: "Actually your not even 6-5!"

Barkley: "I'm almost 6-5" ..."I'm 6-4 and 3/4"

which is exactly what me and RoundMound have been saying... Chuck isn't 6-4 unless you have a bad habit of rounding down 3/4 of an inch... In his book if he does say 6-4 and doesn't include the fraction than I'm sure he means 6-4 the same way Bill Russell meant 6-9 (Bill was actually 6-9 and 5/8ths... closer to 6-10 - but he considers himself "6-9" because he wasn't quite 6-10 despite the counter intuitive rounding)

FFS son....do we need math here?....6' 4 3/4"?...no one says I'm 6 ' 4 3/4"

even if he is 6' 4 3/4".....he would say 6' 4"....
recap: we all understand ...he is 6' 4 3/4" (or possibly slightly less...but 6' 4" seems about close enough)
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #48
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
- I wouldn't take too much stock into the Mugshot...those cameras are not accurate...and easily could have been taken from the camera bieng mounted lower ( looking up)..rather then level ( as it is mounted to take photo's of the average hieght)...

- I would just go off of what Barkley himself says...."no taller then 6'4" "
Righto, I do not take much stock in that photo, as I mentioned in my initial post. However, I did believe there is not a very high chance the mugshot camera would be off by 4 inches. I thought it made more sense to go off the official Olympic listing of 6'4'' and 3/4, which most would round up to 6'5''. Slap on some shoes and he earns a 6'6'' height in the manner with how most media guides list players. I also think photos of him standing next to other players can be a helpful tool, hence the Jordan/Barkley shot (and the Jordan/Payton shot).

In truth, as many teams and leagues have measured via shoe height over the years, there's always going to be mass confusion over how tall a player really is and what it means in comparison to his contemporaries. It seems like every single player is eligible these days to play the "Amazing, since he was really only ______ tall" card. If we can take an inch away from every player, it all remains the same. Barkley was 6'4'' and 3/4, but I'm sure many of his 6'10'' or 7'0'' opponents were really actually an inch or two shorter than that themselves. As such, a listed 6'6'' Barkley battling a listed 6'10'' forward is just as impressive as a real heighted 6'4'' Barkley battling a real-heighted 6'8'' forward.

Point being, it seems much more likely that undersized players tend to benefit from the "He's even shorter than he's listed, which makes him more amazing" argument when in fact there are many, many players in the same boat.

Also, 6'4'' and 3/4 would never make a player eligible be labeled 6'3''. Again, at 6'2'' and 3/4 barefoot, I can very rarely claim 6'2'' (when I feel like deceivingly impressing someone) but it'd be way off the mark to ever try to claim 6'1''.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 10-09-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: