Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-10-2012, 10:17 AM   #31
upside24
Aspire To Be Great

Default Re: Anxiety/Depression

Didn't realize so many other posters suffered from anxiety issues. I have anxiety attacks all the time but I didn't expect it was this common.

Most of the stress was self-imposed so I have them much less often but when they strike it is uncomfortable.

Medication like Xanax and Klonopin are effective as I've had scripts to both, but I've abused them in the past so I just ride it out now.

I have a better understanding of the attack itself now that I don't cover it up with a chemical so it's easier to deal with.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
blablabla

I've have some anxiety issues, i feel anxious almost all the time especially when i'm around other people, one exception is when i'm with my closest friends.
Also i'm always expecting the worst, whenever a close family member is going to the doctor i'm immediately thinking of cancer or other horrible diseases, or i get extremely worried when someone doesn't answer his phone immediately
I haven't been to the doctor yet tho, i don't want anyone to think that i'm different
blablabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Have you considered taking up something like Yoga or Tao-Chi?

I've thought about yoga. What's Tao-chi?

The thing about me, is I try to downplay everything. I don't like dealing with problems, I want them to just go away. I procastonate. I'm sick of it.

It's like, I understand that I'm going through shit but THE IDEA OF talking to a doctor about it, gives me anxiety. It really does. I don't know why. Talking about it makes me uneasy and just feel like saying

"**** it. Take some pain killers and go on ISH and play 2k13."

And it's like, I don't have time to be doing that. My time is prescious and I tend to pop pills and drink alcohol to "get away"

Idk. It's been this way my whole life..
Now that I'm working and shit.. It's just almost feeling like it'll be Thai way forever
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasbigshots
Dude, hang in there. Your last sentence there... Is screaming for help. Talk your doc ASAP.

Yes successful people have it too. I'm doing very well myself house paid for, 4 cars, 2 investment property, good retirement ahead of me, a cool business And yes I have depression. I m currently taking prescribed meds... What makes me feel good are successes and accomplishments.

I feel you man. At 22, I've accomplished a lot and I'm in line for a lot more but it doesn't make me happy..

And I know man. I need to stop with the alcohol and pain killers.

When I hear people talk about being "alcoholics" because they drink on the weekends, every weekend I laugh.

I was at a point where I was drinking Half of a 5th AT LEAST, 5 days a week.
And the only reason why I didn't drink 7 days a week was because I didn't want to become an alcoholic.

I mean, I would be 3 hours into my shift and start thinking "I need a drink"

And I'm taking, drinking vodka and whisky straight. No chaser.
By myself.. Not at a bar, or club or with anyone.
Just in my room.. Blacking out.

Then I started with vicodins. Started taking 2 or 3 to feel "good"..
Then I found out about "norcos" which are 10mg hydrocondone

In about 6 hours, I've taken up to 30. That's 300 mg..

Since then, I've stopped the drinking. Ive gained a lot of weight drinking and the hang overs and my skin took a toll.

The pills I've started using only on weekends and try to little by little lower my intake..

But it's what keeps me from feeling "depressed"
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #35
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

I don't suffer from depression, however I do have serious cases of anxiety for no apparent reason. Most of the times it hits me when there is absolutely nothing to be anxious about.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #36
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Depression is good for you. Builds character. Really does. Some of the worlds most successful people are very depressed.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #37
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Depression is good for you. Builds character. Really does. Some of the worlds most successful people are very depressed.

Truth.

That which doesn't kill us...
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #38
FinishHim!
I dunk on kids

The interesting thing is that one often accompanies the other. There are people who suffer with JUST depression without anxiety. But there's a lot of people who's anxiety CAUSES their depression. Like the depression they feel is due to their anxiety symptoms rather than actual occurance going on around them.
FinishHim! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #39
DonD13
glew up ☆

Quote:

you obviously have no clue what a depression might be. it can ruin peoples and their families life.
a "true" (clinical) depression is not the same thing as 'feeling down' and all that stuff that everybody has.
If you have 'hardcore' MDD, there is no way you be successful at anything...
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #40
Riddler
D-94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
When I hear people talk about being "alcoholics" because they drink on the weekends, every weekend I laugh.

I was at a point where I was drinking Half of a 5th AT LEAST, 5 days a week.
And the only reason why I didn't drink 7 days a week was because I didn't want to become an alcoholic.

I had a good run with alcohol... probably "abused alcohol" throughout my entire 20's.... (I'm 33)

And while alcohol causes depression... Even more depressing is transitioning
to a life of sobriety. Been sober for about 2 years now with a few minor slip ups...
but the first year of sobriety felt like a complete void.

I always felt like I could handle depression... But when you experience what I commonly
refer to as THE VOID, that's when you're in major trouble... and that's when I got on
some meds (wellbutrin works great).

Anybody ever felt the void? Anybody know what the f*ck I'm talking about?
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM   #41
chips93
Very good NBA starter

Quote:

whats the point in being successful, if you are depressed and cant enjoy it.

id rather be broke and a loser, but have a positive attitude, and be able to enjoy it/appreciate life, than be rich and ballin' but not enjoy life.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #42
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
When the plane bounces my heart stops. I just can't get over it fully. I fly A LOT. And i'm nervous the whole time, ive just got good at hiding it.

I'm the same way. I fly fairly often (flying tomorrow actually) and ever since experiencing an aborted landing about 10 years ago I'm acutely aware of every movement and sound of the plane. I've found sitting in first class and having a few gin and tonics helps.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #43
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

i think a lot of people who *think* they have depression don't really have any clinical problem at all. they just have circumstances in life that probably suck at the moment.

i think part of the danger of accepting that you just have mental depression is that you might give up and stop doing what's necessary to get rid of those discomforting circumstances.

maybe it's a weight issue, school work, money problem, addiction problem, employment issue, relationship problem, whatever, everyone's got their own sh!t of sh!t... well, most of the time, those areas can be changed and fixed by the person. some people are too lazy to go for a run to lose weight, too lazy to study more for school to get better grades, too selfish to give up on an addiction that they know isn't good but unwilling to give up, too careless with money to stay away from financial problems, too unmotivated at work to improve environment, too confused to either work on a relationship or move on,... anything, whatever, so they become depressed, and then they blame depression for not having the energy to work on those things. i think if some people tried to take an extra step to improve on their life in general, they should focus on sucking it up and doing all those things instead of just bagging it in and claiming the depressed mood excuse. because when you got a problem and you go fix it, that feels good. but problems don't go away by themselves. you gotta kick them out if you can. and until you kick them out, you're probably going to continue to feel how you're feeling.

but for those who have a "perfect" life and still feel sh!t, okay, that probably sucks a d!ck.

Last edited by DCL : 10-11-2012 at 10:42 AM.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: