Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 06-30-2006, 12:11 PM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation
Default "I Wouldnt Trade These Knicks"

Isiah: I wouldn't trade these Knicks

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

New Knicks Mardy Collins (l.) and Renaldo Balkman

The roster that Larry Brown wanted to detonate is the same one Isiah Thomas is ready to go war with.

With the free-agent recruiting period approaching tomorrow, Thomas cautioned Knick fans not to expect Kevin Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal to come to the rescue this summer. ("I'm not here waiting for Santa Claus to come save us," Thomas said.) Instead, Saint Knick believes that as the team's new coach, he can take the same players who went 23-59 last season under Brown and win with them.

"I do like our players and my job is to get their confidence back and I think they can play at a higher level than what a lot of them performed at last year," Thomas said yesterday.

"I'm very comfortable with our roster. I'm comfortable with the things that we have. I'll continue to look to get better. But if we had to go into the season right now with what we have and the way we look, I'm comfortable with that."

Thomas, the Knicks' president/coach, addressed the team's future after introducing first-round picks Renaldo Balkman and Mardy Collins. Neither rookie is expected to make an immediate impact although Thomas is convinced that Balkman, a 6-8 swingman, and Collins, a 6-6 point guard, satisfy two important problem areas.

The Knicks have other needs, preferably a rebounding power forward, but salary-cap restrictions limit Thomas' options. Atlanta's Al Harrington is a free agent and a player Thomas coached with the Indiana Pacers. But to acquire Harrington, the Knicks would have to work out a sign-and-trade.
Denver's Kenyon Martin is available in a trade, but the Knicks have legitimate concerns over Martin's attitude and his surgically repaired knee. The Knicks like Washington small forward Jared Jeffries, but the Wizards can match any offer. Also, Thomas is content with Stephon Marbury, Nate Robinson, Jamal Crawford and Steve Francis, and said yesterday that he won't pursue free-agent guards Speedy Claxton and Mike James.

"If there's a fit for our team, we'll try to make our team better," Thomas said. "If not, what we have is good enough.

"We don't necessarily need as much as we needed two years ago when you had to go out and be aggressive and you had to make a lot of trades and you had to do a lot of things. Now you're enjoying some of the fruits of your labor."

Thomas is responsible for acquiring every player on the team, which is why Garden chairman James Dolan named him as Brown's successor in the first place and gave him a win-or-else ultimatum this week. Dolan has had an open checkbook with his general managers, so it's unlikely - although plausible - that Dolan told Thomas he couldn't add payroll this summer. On the other hand, Thomas may indeed feel confident in his team and want to show that the Knicks underachieved with Brown.

Thomas has always dreamed big when it comes to upgrading talent. He has pursued Kobe Bryant, Allen Iverson and Garnett and may have his sights set on the Cavs' LeBron James, who could sign an extension with Cleveland this summer. Balkman and Collins, it should be noted, are represented by Leon Rose, who happens to be James' agent. At least it makes for a good conspiracy theory.

"I was told early on (as a child) that we didn't have any money and there was no Santa Claus," Thomas said. "I'm not looking for this great player to come save the day for us."

TAKE YOUR PICK: The Phoenix Suns informed season ticket holders that they traded out of the first round once Memphis forward Rodney Carney was selected with the 16th pick. The Knicks had said on Wednesday that they took Balkman at 20 because Phoenix was ready to select him at 21.... Thomas announced that assistant GM Brendan Suhr will serve as an assistant coach.

Originally published on June 30, 2006
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 01:09 PM   #2
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

If the Knicks put up two 45 win seasons while keeping the roster roughly as is then sign LeBron I think each and every person that has publically bashed Thomas should be forced to wear t-shirts that say "Zeke was right"
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

i think we will win 45+ and everyone will jump on the zeke banwagon, i just hope we get at least one offseason pick up!
Old 07-01-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
sixty
Good High School Starter

sixty has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
"Now you're enjoying some of the fruits of your labor."

What the **** did he mean by that ?
sixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

lol, sixty i want al harrington from ur hawks
Old 07-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
MikeRo72
I airball my layups

MikeRo72 has an OK reputation so far

I bet your mom's crib Isiah wins more than Larry Brown
MikeRo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #7
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Isiah has to say he won't trade them, because saying that he would is pretty much admitting he was wrong to take them in. Still, I do see much improvement in this teams season with a more "allowing" coach.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:30 AM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Isiah has to say he won't trade them, because saying that he would is pretty much admitting he was wrong to take them in. Still, I do see much improvement in this teams season with a more "allowing" coach.

i hope so, i want to re sign qyntel
Old 07-07-2006, 02:04 AM   #9
vagabond
Kids at the park dunk on me

vagabond has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
If the Knicks put up two 45 win seasons while keeping the roster roughly as is then sign LeBron I think each and every person that has publically bashed Thomas should be forced to wear t-shirts that say "Zeke was right"

:confused:
I'd be interest to see the math behind this!?!

They won't be able to sign him due the salary cap and I think if the Cavs were to sign him they'd get a lot more than what the Knicks have to offer
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: