Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 12-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Fastbreak Q

Hey guys

On fast break situations do you guys survey the floor first before taking it straight to the hole or do guys just have an aggressive mentality to get to the hole and just whatever happens?

I really want to get better in fast break situations, and I am comfortable in my decision making in half court sets but in fast break situations, everything's a blur and most of the time I just settle for a jump shot regardless if there's an opportunity to get closer to the basket.

I figured that maybe it is because I am managing multiple things during fast break including protecting the ball and trying to know where everyone is as well as also looking for my shot.

Besides my question at the top, any tips?

Thanks guys.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

01amberfirewv has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Fastbreak Q

I usually look at my defender first then look at my other options just in case.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My fast break mentality is to attack until a defender decides to step up and stop me. I mean, I try to make my decision by the time I reach the free throw line so my passing lanes, if I opt to pass, remain open and unclogged (though it doesn't always work that way) but I always have an attack-first mentality.

I look at it like this, if I'm a hypothetical defender getting back on defense during a fast break, what am I thinking? As coaches always say, I should be thinking about stopping the ball. But then, since it's a fast break, I know stopping the ball might just mean I leave a wingman wide open. So maybe I try to anticipate a passing lane, or maybe I sort of stop ball but not really, just in case I'll need to drop back and address a player running the wing.

My point is, defenders often have indecision on a fast break and frequently, there are times where they want to play a modified version of monkey in the middle. And anytime I sense something of that nature - the defender showcasing indecision, just sort of hopping about, not directly stopping ball, or establishing a weak position up around the free throw line or above - I'm thinking attack.

Of course, the higher you get in basketball skill, the more variables that come into play. For instance, high college level players and above will all have wiser fast break tactics. But if you're talking about playing amongst high schoolers, or college rec guys, or just random street folk, you'd be surprised how many of those defenders may look like they're in position to stop you on a fast break, but really aren't.

Growing up, my biggest fast break issue was thinking that it was absolutely necessary that I get to the middle of the floor (correct) and undoubtedly always pass to a wing filling (not always correct). Always passing (and clearly always looking to pass) removed myself as any sort of threat and made my fast breaks easily defendable. It wasn't until I watched one of my most skilled teammates (a very unselfish one at that) often continue right down the lane with the ball if noone made a super-serious commitment to stop him. It simplified things for me.

Basically, dribble the ball toward the hoop with the idea of scoring. If someone decides to do something about it, explore other options. Ha, so simple, right? I feel like this guy's coach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEHZJNQ5Y4A

Last edited by Rake2204 : 12-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
JellyBean
College superstar

JellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation hereJellyBean has an incredible reputation here

I agree with Rake2204. You have to be aggressive and have that attack mindset when running the fast break situation. Since this is a streetball thread, I am guessing this is relate to streetball. If this is related to school team fast break, a lot depends on the coach and the system they are running. Most times the coach will let you attack and be aggressive on the break. Sometimes a coach will have you pass ahead for the open man or wait for your teammates to get near you. So a lote depends on the situation. But if this is related to streetball, just attack the rim. Be aggressive out there.
JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jelly Bean is right about context. If you're in a structured team setting, then things change. For example, we used to have a policy in college where "if a guy was open and ahead of you, give it to him", a policy I generally don't like, but in practice if you're a little more thoughtfull with it, like not hitting you're power forward in the middle of the court, and if you have a team of guys with the same mentallity, it works all right.

The first thing I'd say is never take a jumper on the break, unless it's a kick out three. I hate the pull up on the break. It always felt like something I could get at another time if I needed to.

Going until you're stopped is also a good advice. Force someone to stop you. Don't volunteer to give up your dribble.

Lane runners often get chewed out for space, but as a PG, I feel like I have to take some responsibility. If it's two on one, move to an angle that you're comfortable with finishing, and head toward the rim until you're stopped.

If I'm not stopped until so late that I get under the hoop, I still don't give up the bounce. I'm not even really crazy about the kick out three, I like to roll dribble out, and while I'm pulling the defense away, look for trailing bigs. It's a great chance to put the ball over the defense at the rim.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
KungFuJoe
Local High School Star

KungFuJoe has not been impressing people

Answer is obvious...give and go alley oop dunk.
KungFuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

on a fastbreak with a umbers advantage make a guy commit to someone, ideally yourself, by making an aggressive drive to the basket. if he steps up and stops the ball before the free throw line then pass it off, should be an easy basket. if not just go straight to the rim, being careful not to pick up a charge though
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

thanks boys
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #9
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

My go-to move on the break is the pull-up jumper. Just survey the court while you dribble into your pull-up so you're not predictable.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
Lebron23
Banned

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'll just continue to drive into the basket. If I have 2 defenders in front of me I'll just make a wrap around layup.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:16 AM   #11
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
on a fastbreak with a umbers advantage make a guy commit to someone, ideally yourself, by making an aggressive drive to the basket. if he steps up and stops the ball before the free throw line then pass it off, should be an easy basket. if not just go straight to the rim, being careful not to pick up a charge though

This.
Pushxx is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: