Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #481
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Jerry Sloan steps down, leaves Utah Jazz! Era is over!

Former Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan is interested in a return to the NBA.

Sloan told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday that he has talked to Charlotte owner Michael Jordan about the Bobcats’ job and could meet with him as early as this week.

Earlier in the day, Sloan told Fox Sports Florida that he would consider taking the job in Orlando, if it were ever offered. The Magic fired coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Otis Smith on Monday.

Reached at his farm outside McLeansboro, Ill., Sloan made it clear he would like to return to coaching after being away from basketball for 15 months.

Sloan resigned as coach of the Jazz in February of 2011, citing fatigue after 23 seasons.

Asked if he had talked to any team about a job opening, Sloan mentioned Jordan and the Bobcats, who finished 7-59 during the lockout-shortened season and then fired coach Paul Silas.

According to Sloan, undertaking such a massive rebuilding job would not prevent him from considering Charlotte.

"Obviously, you probably wouldn’t win [a championship] right off the bat," he said. "But sometimes it’s not all about starting on top."

If Sloan ever went to work for Jordan, Jazz fans would certainly see the irony.

Under Sloan, Utah reached the 1997 and 1998 NBA Finals. Both times, Sloan and Jazz were beaten in six games by Jordan and the Chicago Bulls.

story continues belowstory continues below

Asked about his reported interest in Orlando, Sloan said, "I’m sure a lot of people are interested. But I really don’t know what the parameters are going to be or what’s going on. I guess we’ll wait and see what happens."

Orlando’s situation is complicated, given the uncertain future of All-Star center Dwight Howard and the team’s vacant general manager job.

Sloan knows the Magic "have a lot of different things to consider" while searching for their new coach.

Now 70, Sloan says he feels "terrific" and his health is "good," although that does not mean he is actively seeking a job.

"I just stay out of the way and see what happens," Sloan said. "If there’s some interest in me, fine. If there’s not, I understand that, too."

After the 2010-11 season ended — three months after he resigned in Utah — a handful of NBA teams approached Sloan about a return to coaching.

At that point, he was not interested. But by September, during an interview with The Tribune, Sloan hinted the situation might be changing.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #482
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
The Charlotte Bobcats have narrowed their list of head coaching candidates to Jerry Sloan, Brian Shaw and Quin Snyder, according to league sources. After going through an initial interview with Charlotte executives Rod Higgins and Rich Cho, each of the three candidates will meet with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan within the next week or so. ESPN.com

Sloan, Shaw and Snyder were chosen from a field of interviewees that included Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing, former Portland coach Nate McMillan, Golden State assistant Michael Malone, Cleveland assistant Nate Tibbetts, Charlotte assistant Stephen Silas, Memphis assistant Dave Joerger and St. John's University assistant Mike Dunlap. ESPN.com

You'd think if he wants it, it is his. McMillan isn't a finalist. All of Phil Jackson's assistants have failed. He might want to wait for a better gig though? I'd guess McMillan is.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #483
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Steve Kauffman represents Malone and Jerome Stanley reps Shaw and both have confirmed to CSNNW.com that the Trail Blazers have not called the Warriors or Pacers to seek permission. Our very own Dwight Jaynes reported earlier this week that Jerry Sloan has not been contacted by the Trail Blazers, either. CSNNW.com
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #484
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Today IMG Academies announced the addition of Kenny Natt as Director of the IMG Academies’ basketball program. Natt, current Head Coach of the Indian National Team, will relocate to Bradenton, Fla. from India to assume his new role, while continuing to serve the Indian National Team. “After spending a great deal of my career within the NBA, I am thrilled to return to my early passion for youth basketball development and the ability to transform lives through the game I love,” remarked Natt. “IMG Academies offers one of the most unique and engaging basketball programs I have ever come across. I am looking forward to rolling up my sleeves as a mentor to these student-athletes, while helping continue to attract and develop the best young talent from around the world.” Cision Wire

Was thinking he might be back with Jerry if Jerry gets hired.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #485
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Magic To Interview Malone, Shaw, Snyder, Vaughn For Coaching Vacancy
Jul 04, 2012 3:14 PM EDT

The Magic will interview Michael Malone, Brian Shaw, Quin Snyder and Jacque Vaughn for its head coaching vacancy, according to sources.

Rob Hennigan will likely conduct initial interviews over the next week.

Malone and Shaw have been candidates since Stan Van Gundy was fired.

Vaughn has been an assistant with the Spurs over the past two seasons.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #486
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Hall of Famer Jerry Sloan said he interviewed Wednesday for the Portland coaching job but has removed himself from consideration. Sloan said Trail Blazers general manager Neil Olshey flew to Salt Lake City to interview him. However, Sloan called the team Thursday to pull out. “I talked to them yesterday,’’ Sloan said in a phone interview with FOX Sports Florida. “But it just didn’t work out on my part.’’ FOXSports Florida
Old 07-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #487
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

David Baumann: New #Magic head coach Jacque Vaughn brought up three names that helped shape him: Roy Williams, Jerry Sloan, Greg Popovich. Twitter
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #488
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jerry Sloan was offered the Portland head coaching job, but turned it down. He still hasn’t found a job he thinks is as good as the one he had in Utah. New York Daily News

Does he really think he's going to find another job where he can't get fired and has complete control?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #489
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Many within NBA circles believe it’s only a matter of time before Brown is fired. Jerry Sloan and Mike D’Antoni are two names that have surfaced as possible replacements for Brown. “Jerry Sloan to L.A. by December 1,” one league source predicted. “Nash and Howard are the new Stockton and Malone. He wants a ring, not to mention the money. He didn’t seriously consider Orlando, Charlotte or Portland [openings] over the summer because he knew Los Angeles would open up.” HoopsWorld
Old 12-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #490
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
I don’t think so. While he was partially responsible for Jerry Sloan leaving the
Utah Jazz, I’ve been told that Al Jefferson also
played a large role in that.
I don’t blame him for Avery Johnson
either because it sounds like this was Mikhail Prokhorov’s decision and everyone
was blindsided. The players didn’t see this coming, from what I’ve heard. HoopsWorld

So why is Al still in town?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:16 AM   #491
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Doubt Phil want anything to do with Deron either. He could have stayed in Utah if he did. Would love to see Phil get a job and Jerry assist him.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #492
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Williams said he “would love” to play again for Jerry Sloan, his old coach in Utah, and when Phil Jackson’s name came up, Williams said, “Who wouldn’t want to play for Phil Jackson?” Regardless of who takes over as head coach, Williams said that after a tumultuous first season in Brooklyn, he and his teammates can take a step forward next year. “We definitely want to improve on this season,” Williams said. “With everything we had, with all the injuries we had, with all the stuff in the media going on with losing a coach, we still finished pretty good. We still finished in the fourth spot [in the East].

New York Post

He says it because he knows it will never happen.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #493
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
He says it because he knows it will never happen.
Of course he does, would you publically piss off the fan base by saying you don't want Sloan as your coach? Better just to play it cool knowing it won't happen.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #494
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

The Utah Jazz have had a preliminary discussion with Jerry Sloan about returning to the fold in an unspecified position. Twenty-six months after resigning from being the Jazz's head coach, the Hall of Famer is open to considering taking a role with his old organization to help the rebuilding franchise and his successor, Tyrone Corbin. Deseret News

"That's up to (them). That's a situation that's strictly up to Ty or somebody in the Jazz organization," Sloan told the Deseret News. "If they want me around, fine. If they don't, (fine). They'd talked to me a little bit about it a little bit earlier." Deseret News

Sloan didn't say whether or not an offer was made. Nor did he specify whether a possible return would be as a consultant, a coach or in the front office. The 71-year-old, who still lives in Utah, is very respectful of Corbin, his former assistant coach and player, and wouldn’t want to become a distraction. "I'd hate to be in anybody's way," Sloan said. Deseret News

Sloan, who coached the Jazz from 1988-2011, didn't get a chance to put Karl Malone on his staff after the power forward retired in 2004. "He always had other things going on. Whenever I was coaching, I don't think he was really that interested in coaching yet," Sloan said. "But I think he's indicated that here in the last year or so that he'd be interested in getting back into basketball (to) some extent, and I think he's done that. I think he'll do a great job with them." Deseret News
Old 06-20-2013, 12:10 AM   #495
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

After a 28-month hiatus, former Utah Jazz head coach Jerry Sloan has rejoined the organization as a senior basketball adviser.
The Jazz announced his return Wednesday.

"I’m excited," said Sloan, who was with the Jazz for more than 26 years as an assistant and head coach before resigning on Feb. 10, 2011.

"... You can’t be in one place as long as I was without feeling wonderful about being back. I just feel very fortunate."

In his new job, the team said in a statement, Sloan will "support Jazz basketball operations and the coaching staff" through professional and college player evaluation. He will scout on a limited basis, attend practices occasionally and conduct an annual clinic for high school and college coaches.
"I’ve never done this before," Sloan said. "But hopefully I can be some assistance to different people in different situations."

The Jazz approached Sloan about returning to the organization about a year ago.

Tyrone Corbin, a former assistant who succeeded him as head coach, talked to Sloan "a couple of times" about coming back and being involved with the franchise.

Sloan hesitated.

"I didn’t want to step on his toes," he said. "I have too much respect for Ty and what he’s been able to do to ever get in the way."

With Corbin’s blessing, however, Sloan eventually decided he wanted to return to the NBA.

"I missed basketball a lot," Sloan said. "For a long time, I was around great coaches and great people in the organization. I had a great association with all of them. You get accustomed to that, I guess, and it’s hard to shake."
Sloan’s name was connected to several head coaching jobs after he left the Jazz.

"Most of it was just talk," Sloan said, although Portland was the one team that actually made him an offer. "... They are a great organization with a lot of good people. It just didn’t seem like the thing to do at the time."
Sloan, 71, came to Utah as an assistant to Frank Layden at the start of the 1984-85 season. He became the head coach on Dec. 9, 1988, after Layden resigned.

Sloan eventually guided the Jazz to 19 straight playoff appearances. Between 1992 and 1998, the Jazz reached the Western Conference finals five times.
Under Sloan, the Jazz reached the NBA Finals in 1997 and 1998. Both times, they lost to Chicago in six games.

Sloan, who ranks fourth on the all-time list for NBA coaching wins, was inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.

In the Jazz’s statement, Corbin said, "I’m glad Jerry is going to continue to be involved with our organization. We will benefit from his wealth of basketball experience. I’m looking forward to his continued contributions."
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: