Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 08-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Vinny Del Negro

Anyone else wonder what type of team he's going to try and turn this into?

I remember from watching him back in the day, he was a solid half court passer and lights out from behind the arc. But how that will translate into his coaching style is unknown.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: Vinny Del Negro

I think he will try to get us to play similar to the Suns, except with better defense. I don't know if you can play good defense if all you care about is pushing the ball and getting a shot off in under 7 seconds (granted, that was D'Antoni and not VDN), but we have the personnel to do it. With Del Harris and Bickerstaff in tow, I think they will provide him with some good feedback on how to tweak his gameplan to better suit the guys we have on the floor. Whatever happens, I think the Bulls will be real exciting this season.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Vinny Del Negro

VDN dark horse candidate Coach of the Year.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #4
spin57
I brick open layups

spin57 has an OK reputation so far

i think Vinny can turn this around if he can get us back to playin hard on d again.I am a Pax fan but i have to give him a lot of the blame 4 last season with all the trade talks it sent the wrong message and when nothin happened players became selfish and worried bout there next contracts and it cost Scott his job when he couldnt keep it together.But if we can get back to that d when we held teams shooting percentage at the lowest then we will b just fine. i think Kirt can rebound from last year poor play,dont know y he was so bad at times but still i think he is a real good player and with rose it will help him and i wish they would sign Ben they need his scoring late in games all in all i think Vinny has a different personality than Scott and this team will respond well i look for the Bulls to have a real good year and finish top 4 in the East this year and if they dont it could be the end of the road for Pax!!!!!
spin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I will hold my judgement on VDN until the season starts.While im all for some new blood at the coaching position VDN is a rookie coach and will more then likely struggle against some of the bigger names in the east like dantoni,cheeks,rivers,van gundy,brown. Kirk I expect to rebound if given the minuets.Last year he had a 6 week honeymoon in which he played no basketball so go figure on what occupied his summer.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
I will hold my judgement on VDN until the season starts.While im all for some new blood at the coaching position VDN is a rookie coach and will more then likely struggle against some of the bigger names in the east like dantoni,cheeks,rivers,van gundy,brown. Kirk I expect to rebound if given the minuets.Last year he had a 6 week honeymoon in which he played no basketball so go figure on what occupied his summer.

He is a rookie coach, but with the experience he has on the bench I doubt he will get intimidated or outcoached very often. Most teams in the league don't have the experience on the bench that we will this year, except for the team that currently employs Tex Winter. That guy has been around forever!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
step_back
College superstar

step_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablestep_back is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
He is a rookie coach, but with the experience he has on the bench I doubt he will get intimidated or outcoached very often. Most teams in the league don't have the experience on the bench that we will this year, except for the team that currently employs Tex Winter. That guy has been around forever!

true about the bench having more strength but I'm always weary of new coaches, experience speaks volumes when coaching a team. I am somewhat bitter towards this guy anyway as I feel paxson settled again.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
CelticForce1349
Ich Liebe die Bulls!

CelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat coolCelticForce1349 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back
true about the bench having more strength but I'm always weary of new coaches, experience speaks volumes when coaching a team. I am somewhat bitter towards this guy anyway as I feel paxson settled again.

I don't think it is fair to say that Paxson settled. Time will tell what caliber of coach Del Negro is, but I like the fact that Paxson went outside the box in an attempt to shake things up.

Paxson needed to to something other than hire the usual suspects.
CelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

I see him as a coach that will not give up on the young guys. I believe thats the main reason Chicago hired him. He'll have a good relationship with guys like Rose Thabo Tyrus and continue to play them even if the make some mistakes. Just his ability to build a relationship and trust w/ his players.

In playing style, maybe run whenever there's an opportunity. When in half court, a lot of screens and ball movement
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by trig
I see him as a coach that will not give up on the young guys. I believe thats the main reason Chicago hired him. He'll have a good relationship with guys like Rose Thabo Tyrus and continue to play them even if the make some mistakes. Just his ability to build a relationship and trust w/ his players.

In playing style, maybe run whenever there's an opportunity. When in half court, a lot of screens and ball movement

We really need to work on the screen and roll. Whenever another team uses it against us, we get killed, but when we try to use it it doesn't work because we have Noah setting the screens. You gotta have someone that can shoot an 18 foot jumper out there, not Noah. I want to see how Gooden can adapt to this, because if we can get the pick and roll going, it will add that dimension to our offense that wasn't there last year, and should open things up for the jump shooters as well.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan20
We really need to work on the screen and roll. Whenever another team uses it against us, we get killed, but when we try to use it it doesn't work because we have Noah setting the screens. You gotta have someone that can shoot an 18 foot jumper out there, not Noah. I want to see how Gooden can adapt to this, because if we can get the pick and roll going, it will add that dimension to our offense that wasn't there last year, and should open things up for the jump shooters as well.

Usually on a pick and roll the big guy "Rolls" to the basket after he sets the pick. If the defender stays with the big guy then the PG or who ever has the ball will not be defended and can hit an open jumper.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwax26
Usually on a pick and roll the big guy "Rolls" to the basket after he sets the pick. If the defender stays with the big guy then the PG or who ever has the ball will not be defended and can hit an open jumper.

Yeah, but if you know the guy can't hit a jumper outside of 5 feet to save his life, it makes it much easier to defend a pick and roll. That's why Deron/Boozer, Nash/Amare, Calderon/Bosh, etc. can run it so effectively. They have a big man that can shoot it if left open, but if you get too close to him, he can back door you and go right in for an easy dunk. We've tried this with Ben Wallace, and he had about the same amount of touch that Noah has.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
beasted86
Waiting on 2010....

beasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected posterbeasted86 is a pretty well-respected poster

The main defense for the pick and roll on teams with a weak center is to trap the guard and try and cause a turnover. Both the center and the guard on defense will both latch onto the point guard with the ball.

Seeing as the Bulls have such good guards in Hinrich, Rose, Gordon and Hughes, expect alot of trapping on them, and leaving Noah wide open on the perimiter or in the lane. This is gonna be his chance to step up as a player. But I really dont think he's up to the task. They need to work a trade for a more capable guy.

Last edited by beasted86 : 08-28-2008 at 12:38 PM.
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
drwax26
High School Starter

drwax26 has decent reputationdrwax26 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86
The main defense for the pick and roll on teams with a weak center is to trap the guard and try and cause a turnover. Both the center and the guard on defense will both latch onto the point guard with the ball.

Seeing as the Bulls have such good guards in Hinrich, Rose, Gordon and Hughes, expect alot of trapping on them, and leaving Noah wide open on the perimiter or in the lane. This is gonna be his chance to step up as a player. But I really dont think he's up to the task. They need to work a trade for a more capable guy.
If you trap the guard like u said he is going to pass to the guy going to the basket. oah wouldnt be on the perimeter he is going straight for the bucket. If you expect someone to do a pick and roll and have the big guy shooting 12-15ft jumpers then it has to be gooden.
drwax26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

I still think Avery Johnson would have been a better option especially with our young draft pick.

AJ wasn't a big time athlete, was short for even a baseball player, & didn't have the best shot. His strengths were toughness (mental and physical), IQ, ball handling, and teamwork.

Everything Rose needs to learn.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: