Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
Ethan22
NBA All-Star!

Ethan22 has an OK reputation so far
Default Overworking?

Hey I've been pushing myself so hard to become a better basketball player, but not just on the court. Getting on the treadmill, working out, then playing ball at home and in the gym. I am seeing great results, but my body is aching! I can't barely lift my legs up without pain! I can't even do push ups because my chest hurts like hell, any advice? do i chill out? i want to keep doing it because i am getting better, and i can see it, but does pain come with it? does pain stop eventually? my back hurts too... but im still out there playing.
Ethan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
highwhey
el vato encabronado

highwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhighwhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Overworking?

If you just started, being achy and sore is normal. Although you should consider taking a day off for rest, your body needs rest.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #3
Ethan22
NBA All-Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
If you just started, being achy and sore is normal. Although you should consider taking a day off for rest, your body needs rest.

Ok thanks for that! I took two days off without doing anything, the pain is still here though stretching should have a big part in this too right?
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

A lot of stretching. Rest days. and recovery supplements I take one but I forget what it's called exactly but you can google....
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #5
ABPrints
Kids at the park dunk on me

ABPrints has an OK reputation so far

Stretching does nothing for DOMS. Contrary to belief. Drink water. If you really want to use supplements, first make sure you are replenishing your carb stores post exercise and eatign correctly in the first place. Then, add fish oil and glutamine.
ABPrints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan22
Hey I've been pushing myself so hard to become a better basketball player, but not just on the court. Getting on the treadmill, working out, then playing ball at home and in the gym.
Get off the treadmill and actually get outside and run. Treadmills are hard on your knees and joints, somthing that grass and good earth will help to soften out if your taking a pounding with 40miles/week.
Quote:
I am seeing great results, but my body is aching! I can't barely lift my legs up without pain! I can't even do push ups because my chest hurts like hell, any advice? do i chill out?
Actually, yes, you should "chill out". Ice! Fill your bathtub full of ice and coldwater and grab your favorite magazine... i would suggest ESPNs The Mag
Quote:
i want to keep doing it because i am getting better, and i can see it, but does pain come with it? does pain stop eventually?
If your actually pushing your limits, no athlete or bodybuilder should ever really get over that soreness. After two weeks, your body adapts to the physical exercise you have had, but that just means you should step it up and suck it up and just keep going
Quote:
my back hurts too... but im still out there playing.
Bravo. The days you say to yourself "aw **** it, screw working out" are when you have been going hard is your bodies way of telling you your working hard enough. But after you have pushed through the feelings for 2-3 weeks, listen to your body and take a few days off to heal, rest and recover.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Ethan22
NBA All-Star!

Quote:
Fallguy20
Thank you for the great advice. I will get off the treadmill, and run outside, maybe I'll jog to the gym everyday and that way I get a good workout. It's only about 30 to 40 minutes away on feet, and I think I am in pretty good shape to get there quicker by running there everyday.
After two weeks, my body will get used to it, that's great to know! Right now, it's only my legs that is sore, and I think it might be because I ran too much without strecthing, or I worked my calf in the training room the wrong way, so it hurts like hell but I still run. I can't bend down without pain man.
The only thing that I will not do, is put ice on the bathtub! That idea sounds good but too sophisticated for me. I will get in the whirlpool in my local YMCA, how about that?
Thanks again man I appreciate it!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM   #8
ABPrints

Ice baths are not effective either.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...ubmed_RVDocSum

Stretching before exercises is not effective either. It is a gradual progression to work up to a certain intensity without being overly "sore".
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
ABPrints

Here is an article giving a percieved rating scale to see what you should do according to how you feel. Another tip is to foam roll, which is a self massage basically, much more effective than stretching for "soreness"
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPrints
Ice baths are not effective either.
I read that article, and im not impressed. Im running cross country right now and putting in close to 8 miles/day 6 days a week on a 6'4" 220+ frame. Ice baths work wonders. They slow down the blood flow when you cool them off, save your legs, and then encourage bloodflow once they warm up.

Trust me on this
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallguy20
I read that article, and im not impressed. Im running cross country right now and putting in close to 8 miles/day 6 days a week on a 6'4" 220+ frame. Ice baths work wonders. They slow down the blood flow when you cool them off, save your legs, and then encourage bloodflow once they warm up.

Trust me on this

Good point. I'm canadian, so what you guys call "ice baths" I call "baths".
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
ABPrints

That is fine, having worked in pro baseball, I saw the old lores of ice baths first hand. Those guys loved it, and I let them do it more for the mental aspect of it. From a physiological aspect, blood is a healing agent. If some one is not in an injured state, there is no need for ice bags or ice baths. Natural healing must take place, better off encouraging blood flow through a light jog or better yet, bike ride.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:26 AM   #13
ABPrints

Jus tto add. In fact, the real cause of muscle soreness is practicaly unknown. Most think it is lactic acid build up. But that may not be the case. Could be micro tears in the muscle, could be calcium?

And to add to the ice bath, that is my opinion on healthy individuals, if one is injured, proper rehab with cryotherapy is key to recovery. Muscle soreness is not injury for my athletes.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:42 PM   #14
v-unit
NBA All-star

v-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterv-unit is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I am ISH's residential nutritionist/fitness poster, ask me any other concerns you have. All your body needs is rest, it's a great thing to be sore because this means that you have changed your body for the good. If you take off 1-3 days of rest and go back to the gym for basketball, you will feel immense difference.

Basically you have a "bar" of potential for your body, when you exercise, it's emptying your "bar" while increasing it's size, so when you rest you will have a even HIGHER "bar" of energy/strength, do you get it? Basically, you don't get results from working out in the gym, you get results when you rest. That is when it's noticable.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
Ethan22
NBA All-Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
I am ISH's residential nutritionist/fitness poster, ask me any other concerns you have. All your body needs is rest, it's a great thing to be sore because this means that you have changed your body for the good. If you take off 1-3 days of rest and go back to the gym for basketball, you will feel immense difference.

Basically you have a "bar" of potential for your body, when you exercise, it's emptying your "bar" while increasing it's size, so when you rest you will have a even HIGHER "bar" of energy/strength, do you get it? Basically, you don't get results from working out in the gym, you get results when you rest. That is when it's noticable.

! Great! My body has calmed down a little, now its only my legs, i don't know what the bone is called... but its my thighs, in the back when i bend down i feel a little pain left.... lol! My back was kind of stiff too... so i think ill take another day to rest... if its a good thing im sore... then there's a big sigh of relief! i just love basketball so much i dont want to stop... i feel like i get better the more i play but i know i need the rest.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: