Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Default The Nuggets Will Go 39-43.....

According to ESPN, the Nuggets will go 39-43.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...sonPredictions

Quote:
In the NBA, summer is the season for optimism. New draft picks, big trades, new coaches, new hope. New and improved. That's how almost every team appears through the rose-tinted sunglasses of summer.

But if you like a dose of realism with your optimism, we're here to help.

We asked 25 of our writers, editors and contributors for their take on the upcoming season, team by team.

Here is the collective wisdom of our committee:

PREDICTED STANDINGS FOR WESTERN CONFERENCE: 2008-09

CONF TEAM [W-L] [PCT] [08] [08 L] [08PCT]

1. Los Angeles Lakers [55-27] [.671] [57] [25] [.695]

Kobe, Pau and Phil should build on their half-year of history and keep L.A. atop the West, especially if Andrew Bynum is healthy. Now they need to get tough and gritty enough to win it all, and that includes the Bench Mob of Jordan, Sasha, Vlad, Luke and Mihm ... but no more Ronny. | Offseason Moves

2. New Orleans Hornets [54-28] [.659] [56] [26] [.683]

Chris Paul's breakout season ended with him ahead of LeBron James and just behind Kobe Bryant in the MVP race. Even if CP3 can't make another quantum leap, the optimists in New Orleans hope that James Posey brought his championship moxie from Miami and Boston with him. | Offseason Moves

3. Houston Rockets [53 29] [.646] [55] [27] [.671]

Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming and the Rockets should finally make it out of the first round. But along the way, expect Ron Artest to create some chemistry challenges on the offensive end. Fortunately, he'll make up for it on defense, which is where Houston will really shine once again. | Offseason Moves

4. Utah Jazz [51-31] [.622] [54] [28] [.659]

The Jazz faithful might not like this forecast, but the team's meek exit from the conference semifinals left a bad taste and the Jazz did very little to improve in the offseason. But with a young roster this strong, led by Olympians D-Will and Booz, maybe they didn't need to do much. | Offseason Moves

5* San Antonio Spurs [51-31] [.622] [56] [26] [.683]

Fill in the blank: 2003, '05, '07, __. If you said '09, you're probably wrong, because that's the year we should be putting the Spurs "odd-year champions" pattern to rest -- or at least that's how it looked at the end of last season, as the aging Spurs limped out of the West finals. | Offseason Moves

6 Phoenix Suns [47-35] [.573] [55] [27] [.671]

The Suns slumped when Shaq arrived, then got hot, then flamed out. So who are the real Suns? With the noisy exit of Mike D'Antoni and the quiet arrival of Terry Porter, the hope in Phoenix is that Nash and Amare can keep their offensive mojo working while defense is added to the mix. | Offseason Moves

7 Dallas Mavericks [45-37] [.549] [51] [31] [.622]

Jason Kidd arrived with a thud and he'll be 36 in March. But the glass-half-full view in Cuban Country is Dirk, Josh and J-Kidd have plenty left, new coach Rick Carlisle will be a tonic for their damaged psyches, and the Mavs are just 26 months removed from a spectacular run to the Finals. | Offseason Moves

8 Portland Trail Blazers [44-38] [.537] [41] [41] [.500]

Oden, Oden, Oden. That's the story in Portland, where the rookie big man is working out to rave reviews after his microfracture recovery. With Brandon Roy leading a young, exciting team and Jerryd Bayless setting the summer league afire, expectations are through the roof in Blazerland. | Offseason Moves

9* Golden State Warriors [39-43] [.476] [48] [34] [.585]

Corey Maggette will add scoring for the run-and-gun Warriors, but how will they replace point man Baron Davis, who took his act to the Clippers? Couple the loss of B-Diddy with the recent injury to Monta Ellis, and things aren't looking so hot for Don Nelson's bunch -- this season, at least. | Offseason Moves

10* Denver Nuggets [39-43] [.476] [50] [32] [.610]

The giveaway of Marcus Camby made it official: Denver is rebuilding. The loss of their backstop also raises a question: How many points per game will the Nuggets allow? Still, they'll get theirs, with A.I., Melo and J.R. free to fire, creating the best pickup games in the NBA. | Offseason Moves

11. Los Angeles Clippers [35-47] [.427] [23] [59] [.280]

The '09 Clip Show has a new cast of characters ... and we do mean characters. Boom Dizzle and The Cambyman are joined by Ricky D and J-Will plus rooks Gordon and Jordan. This is going to be really fun or a complete disaster. The movie "Semi-Pro" comes to mind. | Offseason Moves

Both Portland & Goldenstate better than Denver?
Clips at the 11th spot?.........a little low?
I'll add more later.

Do you agree or disagree with the predictions? Post your thought's.
-------------------------------------------

I really don't see how a team as young as Portland making the playoffs yet a team with AI and Carmelo or a team with Baron Davis and Camby missing the playoffs.

I know that Oden returning from injury has alot to do with that, but last time I checked, he hasn't even played a single game yet and at a very early age(lol if he really is that young), he's already had to go through a major injury. The hype factor plays a major role, kind of like last seasons offseason where everybody expected the SuperSonics to be a young emerging team who'll be better than they were previous season thanks to the major addition of Kevin Durant and Jeff Green, veteran leadership in Kurt Thomas, etc.... What happened then? From going (35-47) two seasons ago led then by former Sonic Ray Allen to finishing with an even worse record last season(31-51) with a Durant led team.

Then you have Brandon Roy, who I think is safe to say is the real reason why Portland was playing the way they were in the 1st half of the season last year. And I'm pretty sure that their collapse in the 2nd half of the season had to due alot with their young star missing alot of games because of a groin injury. He is also coming back from arthroscopic knee surgery. So, the big question for him is, is he really 100%? can he stay healthy all season long? because the West is tough and if he were to miss some games for them this upcoming season then it could spell doom for their season.

As for the prediction of Goldenstate having the same record(didin't realize ESPN had the warriors & Nuggets tied), don't even get me started.......

They lost their biggest star this off-season and now lost their promising future star, Monta Ellis for at least 3 months due to a severe high ankle sprain. The only thing positive they said about the Warriors was that Corey Maggette will add scoring for the run and gun team. Seriously? is this really enough for a team that has lost so much to even tie with a team that consist of Melo, Iverson, K-Mart, returning Nene, J.R., Kleiza, who was impressive as hell in the Olympics BTW. Oh and lets not forget, we added Dahntay Jones, who played great(averaged 18.4 ppg in 23 mpg) for us in the Summer League games(Weems who?). It would've made a little more sense if they had the Clippers tieing with the Nuggets rather than the Warriors, but not with those horrible records that they posted though. 39-43? Ohh hell naw!

Ever since the addition of Melo back in 03-04, the Nuggets have not missed the post-season(5 years straight) and now you're going to tell me that a team led by not only Carmelo, but Iverson as well, is going to produce a mediocre record of just 39 wins and 43 losses?. Do people forget that these two stars who were #3 and 4 respectively, in scoring last year are still players who are capable of turning any franchise around?

I don't know how many times I've read comments like "Hahaha, you guys lost Camby, now you have no defense", Camby this, defense that, blah blah blah, even when we had Camby, the team was always being criticized for it's defense. I mean really, it's not like this team is known for defense, so I don't know why people make such a big deal about the loss of Camby and the impact it's going to have on the teams "non-existing" defense. Sure, Camby might've been a big loss, but a healthy Nene playing Center for us will make up for it defensively, and it's not like Camby is praised for his ability to guard a man 1-on-1 anyways. It will also make the offense, I believe, much better, just like his inability to guard a man, 1-on-1, Marcus wasn't really known for his offense either.

Well, that's all for 2nite.

BTW guys, I didn't know that Dermarr Johnson was still a Nugget.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dermar...son/index.html

Last edited by KRAYZIE : 09-05-2008 at 02:25 AM.
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

Default Re: The Nuggets Will Go 39-43.....

One of clipps,nuggets,warriors & blazers will make playoffs. i am confident it will be us.

yes we lost camby. but last year we had atkins/nene out all the season.it will balance it.

so our team is almost same.
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
ChuckOakley
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco totti
One of clipps,nuggets,warriors & blazers will make playoffs. i am confident it will be us.

yes we lost camby. but last year we had atkins/nene out all the season.it will balance it.

If you guys are banking on the return of Chucky atkins, then things are worse then I thought in Denver.
ChuckOakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Mile High Crew
In Billups We Trust

Putting my Nuggets bias aside, I believe we will make the playoffs only if the starters stay healthy (we all know that will not happen). Since that is far from probable then I think there is only one way for us to get into the playoffs which is to get a legit pg.

When ESPN says we are rebuilding, I don't think that's true because we still have A.I. and K-Mart. If we were rebuilding we would be letting go these guys and signing a young pg and having J.R. as our starting sg. And to overall develop young players. I think the Nuggets Front Office think they have it right this year, unless they are planning on making a move some time in the near future.
Mile High Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

There's no way we will finish under .500. We might not make the playoffs, but to not win 42 games is absurd. I say we'll go 47-35 and be right behind Portland for the 8th spot.
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Geandily
Local High School Star

hahaha 39-43, yeah ok.

ESPN is retarded
Geandily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Crew
Putting my Nuggets bias aside, I believe we will make the playoffs only if the starters stay healthy (we all know that will not happen). Since that is far from probable then I think there is only one way for us to get into the playoffs which is to get a legit pg.

When ESPN says we are rebuilding, I don't think that's true because we still have A.I. and K-Mart. If we were rebuilding we would be letting go these guys and signing a young pg and having J.R. as our starting sg. And to overall develop young players. I think the Nuggets Front Office think they have it right this year, unless they are planning on making a move some time in the near future.
You can thank ESPN and it's "collective wisdom" of it's committee for that one.

Show's how much they really know about the Nuggets.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
egghead

I think it's a reasonable prediction.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #10
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by egghead
I think it's a reasonable prediction.
So you think that the Nuggets are in rebuilding mode RIGHT NOW!?

Nvm, I see you trolling the OTC and in other team forums, no point in conversating.

Last edited by KRAYZIE : 09-05-2008 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #11
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAYZIE
So you think that the Nuggets are in rebuilding mode RIGHT NOW!?

Without a doubt. But being in rebuilding mode doesn't mean we automatically finish below .500. We're rebuilding, but we still have enough offensive power to get us through plenty of games.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 AM   #12
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
Without a doubt. But being in rebuilding mode doesn't mean we automatically finish below .500. We're rebuilding, but we still have enough offensive power to get us through plenty of games.
But the Nuggets aren't officially rebuilding atm, that was my point. You can't have 4 of the 5 starters from last year coming back this year, and be expecting to fully rebuild the team, makes no sense. Has it begun? perhaps, but with the direction that this management has taken us this off-season, it's safe to say for now that the teams future is still a mystery. we might think that AI never recieving an offer sheet for an extension with the Nuggets earlier this season might've been a hint at where this organization is trying to go, but let's not forgot that this team is still run by Stan and companies. They do some crazy shet all the time.

On ESPN, I really don't understand why they think that just because Denver gave Marcus away, that means that they're all of a sudden in rebuilding mode. Last time I checked, Marcus was traded for salary/luxury tax issues and not for rebuilding purpose.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:33 AM   #13
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

To me I consider cost-cutting, rebuilding. Rebuilding = starting over, and you can't start over by keeping big salaries, so you've got to start somewhere. Unless AI has the best season of his career, he will definitely be put on the chopping block to see what we can get for him/not resigned at the end of the season. If nene can prove he can play in 65+ games this season, rebuilding around him, melo, kleiza, and JR would be a great start.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #14
AItheAnswer3
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by francesco totti

Not Warriors..Put Blazers onto the list..Atkins brings 3 point shooting and I really wish Nene stays healthy
AItheAnswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #15
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

Atkins 3 point shooting was atrocious last season, he could only make them when we were already up by 20+...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: