Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Trade for vets

How about this one , would you do it.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/feature...4~24&te=&cash=
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #2
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Trade for vets

Talent wise seems like a decent trade. However, I would pass for two reasons:

1. He's 31.
2. Concerns about his ankle.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #3
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hmmm.... I think I would do it. Outlaw is the only piece of the future we are giving up, but I think Manu can help us now more than Outlaw will be able to in the future. The rotation gets difficult though.

Roy/Bayless
Manu/Fernandez
Webster/Batum/(free agent)
Aldridge/Frye/Diogu
Oden/Przybilla/Raef

I think that line up could work, but there would be a lot of shuffling of the guards throughout the game.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

I think were gonna really need Blake this year, and I think Outlaw will be great in the future.. so I would vote no.
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #5
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Also, I'd like to see us try to get Battier (also despite being 30) now that Artest has taken his starting spot.

Another reason I like the original trade idea: Blazer fans would love to see Fernandez become a Manu-type player. Who better for Fernandez to learn from than Manu?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Also, I'd like to see us try to get Battier (also despite being 30).

Battier would be an excellent addition, but I don't think it will happen because of his age. Prince would be a good addition, but he will probably prove to expensive.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
Myth

Yeah, Prince would be perfect, but I don't see much of a chance of getting him. Pistons would probably ask for Outlaw, Bayless, and a 1st rounder... or something along those lines.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

why would the blazer want to go for battier, manu has way way way more experience than him. Plus manu can be mentor for rudy.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #9
Myth

I wasn't trying to compare Battier and Manu. I think Battier would fit because he would be a veteran presence (again, not saying more-so than Manu) that provides defense at the 3 spot and can hit the open three. A defensive stopper that can hit the 3 is probably the most important piece the Blazers need to add.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 AM   #10
AlaskaBlzDuk
Kids at the park dunk on me

AlaskaBlzDuk has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I wasn't trying to compare Battier and Manu. I think Battier would fit because he would be a veteran presence (again, not saying more-so than Manu) that provides defense at the 3 spot and can hit the open three. A defensive stopper that can hit the 3 is probably the most important piece the Blazers need to add.

He would be a good fit
AlaskaBlzDuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:18 PM   #11
blazerftc
High School Varsity 6th Man

blazerftc has an OK reputation so far

I would stand pat with the roster we have right now. Give it 'til the trade deadline, then if there's still some tweaking to be done we can see who's out there, and what teams would want in return. We have a good thing going right now, let's see how this team plays together before we go messing with it.

Besides, I have a this nearly irrational fear that if we trade Travis he will turn around and blossom into the next JO on us.
blazerftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled

while i am a strong proponant of having experienced vets on a team who have a strong influence on the younger guys (it is especially important come playoff time),

i would be firmly against picking up manu because he is definitely on the downside of his career and i cannot see him making the team significantly better. in fact, he might stunt the growth of the guys in that he would taking away p-t from them

ginobili's game will greatly decline from what we remember from the past
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:03 PM   #13
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really dislike this trade for the Blazers. Even though it would give the Blazers a playoff push this year, in the long run it would be a waste of solid bargaining chips. Also, they already have 2 or 3 legit shooting guards (Roy, Fernandez, and Webster) so they don't need another.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Myth

I see your point, but trading Outlaw does change the rotation as well. Roy and potentially Fernandez could play some SF. It could definitely work if Fenandez can slide to SF.

Possible lineups (or a continuous rotation as I wrote it) for PG, SG, and SF:
PG: Roy
SG: Manu
SF: Webster
(I would assume that one would be starting line-up)

Then in comes Bayless:
PG: Bayless
SF: Roy

Then sub out Roy for Fernandez
SF: Fernandez

Then Roy for Manu:
SG: Roy
SF: Fernandez

Then Manu and Webster back in for Bayless and Fernandez:
PG: Roy
SF: Webster

As I said, it could be a continuous rotation or some other order of rotations, but it could get worked out.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:55 AM   #15
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

While Prince would probably be too expensive and cost us too much, he would be my first pick out of the three vets mentioned in this thread - Battier would definetely be my second choice......Manu would be interesting but I really can't picture him as anything but a San Antonio Spur.....
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: