Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Old 09-07-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
BFRESH44
College star

BFRESH44 has an OK reputation so far
Default Ole' man GP re-ups..

Quote:
Payton signs one-year deal to return to Heat

MIAMI -- Gary Payton finally got one championship but still wants to chase another.

The veteran guard signed a one-year deal Wednesday to return to the Miami Heat, meaning the defending NBA champions have every player from last season's regular postseason rotation under contract for the coming year.

Payton -- a 38-year-old, nine-time All-Star who played 16 seasons before winning his first title in June -- was expected to sign a deal worth about $1.2 million, or slightly more than the veterans' minimum salary.

Payton averaged 7.7 points in the regular season and then 5.8 per game in Miami's playoff run. He made 25 regular-season starts and was often the Heat's point guard of choice in the fourth quarter. Payton could be especially valuable early this season, with Jason Williams still recovering from offseason knee surgery.

The move was far from unexpected; Payton said often at the end of last season that he planned to return.

He averaged only 2.7 points against Dallas in the NBA Finals but was among Miami's biggest heroes in that series -- hitting two key late-game shots that fueled Heat victories.

In Game 3, with the Heat down 2-0, Payton hit a jumper from the right wing in the waning seconds to cap a 98-96 comeback win by Miami -- which wouldn't lose another game. In Game 5, his layup with 29.8 seconds left helped the Heat eke out a 101-100 win. Two nights later, the championship trophy was in his hands.

Miami is Payton's fifth team, but the first that asked him primarily to be a backup; he started all but six games in his career before last season. Over his career, he has averaged 16.9 points, 6.9 assists and 1.9 steals per game, plus he ranks among the league's all-time leaders in steals (2,402), assists (8,765) minutes (45,614) and points (21,455).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2576742

I think he can give the same type of production as he did last year w/o a doubt. Would like to see him in spot minutes situation as opposed to the primary back-up though.... But He's the Reggie Miller/Karl Malone/Jordan mold in terms of longevity and keeping his body in right shape. 90's vets know how to do it...
BFRESH44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
lakers-city
Good college starter

lakers-city has decent reputationlakers-city has decent reputation

good sign by the heat, specially for only 1.2 millions.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

GP's game has really fallen off over the last 5 years. Certainly not for a lack of heart (he always gives 100%), but age is getting to him. Hopefuly Riles will use him appropriately and sparingly so that he has the right energy level to contribute consistently, and more imporantly during the playoffs!
SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:15 AM   #4
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Key part for the Heat offseason

I am goin to be cheering for them again because of this...

GO HEAT
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
GP's game has really fallen off over the last 5 years. Certainly not for a lack of heart (he always gives 100%), but age is getting to him. Hopefuly Riles will use him appropriately and sparingly so that he has the right energy level to contribute consistently, and more imporantly during the playoffs!
It's strange to me how he declined so fast, and by that I mean he was still a GREAT player when he was on the Sonics, then was traded to the Bucks and still played great, but declined so fast in L.A. and Miami. And he's younger than Cassell but Cassell can still take over a game, but prime Payton was worlds ahead of Cassell, am I the only one to find this strange?
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
It's strange to me how he declined so fast, and by that I mean he was still a GREAT player when he was on the Sonics, then was traded to the Bucks and still played great, but declined so fast in L.A. and Miami. And he's younger than Cassell but Cassell can still take over a game, but prime Payton was worlds ahead of Cassell, am I the only one to find this strange?
Payton is 38
Cassell is 36

Though Payton did decline fast, he was in his prime a older age as well too...At the age Kidd is, he was putting up 23ppg and 8apg...

Not many PGs are able to start on teams at age 36, besides Cassell, can u think of too many others...
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #7
rzp
Local High School Star

rzp has an OK reputation so far

ahahah poor Billups...
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove_20
Payton is 38
Cassell is 36

Though Payton did decline fast, he was in his prime a older age as well too...At the age Kidd is, he was putting up 23ppg and 8apg...

Not many PGs are able to start on teams at age 36, besides Cassell, can u think of too many others...
Wow am I misinformed on that one, I could have sworn Cassell was older. I just looked it up and you're right but Cassell is turning 37 next month.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #9
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

I think they should have upgraded at that position, but I doubt its that big a deal.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: