Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

Default Preseason Game I : vs Timberwolves

http://www.denverpost.com/askamy/ci_10688031

Melo is questionable for the game.Kleiza Might start instead.
Its our first preseason game, win or loss it doesnt affect anything..but i hope i see strong defense in the team..

Lets get things on
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #2
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Default Re: Preseason Game I : vs Timberwolves

Couldn't care less if we win too. Just wanna see how we do on defense.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

I wanna see kevin love in action
OneMoreSucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

NBA season is so damn close! I'm hyped to see what these guys can do!
[TRAINING CAMP PHOTOS]

"Mmmmm....Yummy Basketball"
KRAYZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

Anyone know where to get those warmup shorts they're wearing?

And I wonder how shaq will do this season...

Last edited by OneMoreSucka : 10-10-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

59-39 at the half!!!

I seriously wonder the last time Denver gave up less than 40 in a first half...it's gotta be a lonnggg time.

In other news, AI got 5 dimes before the end of the first quarter (looks like he's taking that "cutting his scoring down and passing more" to heart), and JR is lighting it up without taking many ridiculous 3s.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #7
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
59-39 at the half!!!

I seriously wonder the last time Denver gave up less than 40 in a first half...it's gotta be a lonnggg time.

In other news, AI got 5 dimes before the end of the first quarter (looks like he's taking that "cutting his scoring down and passing more" to heart), and JR is lighting it up without taking many ridiculous 3s.
I really wanna see the game.
Stupid NBA channel is showing a free preview of every other game except this one.

Oh well, I'll just have to read boxscores.
Denver is up 104-88.

- Chris muthaf*ckin' Anderson has 12 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots in just 18 minutes!
- J.R. 6-16(Yikes). Why am I not surprised that he's taken the most shots?
Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Damn, Corey Brewer 4-4 from 3-pt line.
I know it's only the pre-season, but someone please guard the guy.

============================
==GAME OVER - 118-95 DENVER ==
============================

Last edited by KRAYZIE : 10-11-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Great win. Couldn't watch though.
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
OneMoreSucka
NBA Superstar

TERRIBLE 4th quarter defensively. Gave up 61 through 3 then 34 in the 4th? They had a chance to shut them down to 80 points....They did keep them at just 42% shooting overall which is great, yet 40% from beyond the arc so clearly the perimeter defense is still the achilles heal.

Andersen put up impressive numbers and denver killed them on the boards. JR with 4 steals is impressive, I just hope he doesn't think "better defense = gambling for steals" because that won't work against great teams.

But then again, this is minnesota. We'll see how this defense fairs against a west contender in phoenix.

Last edited by OneMoreSucka : 10-11-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
KRAYZIE
Decent college freshman

Here's a recap:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008101007

Quote:
DENVER (AP)—Reserve J.R. Smith scored 21 points, Chris Andersen grabbed 11 rebounds and the Denver Nuggets beat the Minnesota Timberwolves 118-95 on Friday night in their preseason opener.

Allen Iverson had nine assists and Kenyon Martin added 13 points for Denver, before taking a seat on the bench to watch the final quarter.

Andersen also had 12 points, including a 3-pointer late in the fourth quarter to seal the win.

Andersen, a fan favorite nicknamed “Birdman,” was making his return to the Nuggets. He was reinstated by the NBA in early March after being kicked out on Jan. 27, 2006, for violating the league’s drug policy. Andersen played five games for the New Orleans Hornets last season.

Denver (1-0) led by as many as 25 points in the third quarter, before the Timberwolves went on a late spurt, climbing within 13 points midway through the fourth. Andersen’s 3-pointer put an end to the rally, and the Timberwolves’ two-game preseason winning streak.

Al Jefferson grabbed 11 rebounds and scored 10 points for Minnesota (2-1), while Corey Brewer had 13 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter. Rookie Kevin Love turned in a nine-point, 11-rebound game, while reserve Blake Ahearn finished with 17 points and Randy Foye chipped in 16.

Minnesota’s Craig Smith sat out with a sore right knee.

The Nuggets were without Carmelo Anthony, who bruised his left ring finger in practice Thursday when he had the ball slapped out of his hand. Anthony had the hand wrapped in a bandage at a shootaround Friday, but the team said X-rays were negative.

The 24-year-old had a productive summer, helping the U.S. to a gold medal in the Beijing Olympics. He’s coming off a season in which he averaged 25.7 points and a career-high 7.4 rebounds.

Denver’s Chucky Atkins missed the game with an injured knee and Sonny Weems sat out with a groin injury.

Quote:
Denver Nuggets forward Nene, left, of Brazil, pulls down a rebound in front of Minnesota Timberwolves forward Al Jefferson in the first quarter of an NBA preseason basketball game in Denver on Friday, Oct. 10, 2008.

Quote:
Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin looks to pass the ball under pressure from Minnesota Timberwolves rookie forward Kevin Love in the first quarter of an NBA basketball game in Denver on Friday, Oct. 10, 2008.

Quote:
Minnesota Timberwolves head coach Randy Whitman, left, directs his squad as assistant coach Jerry Sichting reacts after a missed play against the Denver Nuggets in the first quarter of an NBA basketball game in Denver on Friday, Oct. 10, 2008
^^
Old 10-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #12
francesco totti
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreSucka
TERRIBLE 4th quarter defensively. Gave up 61 through 3 then 34 in the 4th? They had a chance to shut them down to 80 points....They did keep them at just 42% shooting overall which is great, yet 40% from beyond the arc so clearly the perimeter defense is still the achilles heal.

Andersen put up impressive numbers and denver killed them on the boards. JR with 4 steals is impressive, I just hope he doesn't think "better defense = gambling for steals" because that won't work against great teams.

But then again, this is minnesota. We'll see how this defense fairs against a west contender in phoenix.

Yeh the defense seems was impressive till third quarter. But in 4th quarter,things didnt look good...

I didnt watch the match, but reviewing full play by play.. I see andersen, patterson, parker, jones, Howard, Balkman , Jr. Smith played in 4th quarter while others didnt get into 4th quarter(like Nene, Martin, AI, Kleiza, Carter)..
francesco totti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
paguy1955
High School Starter

Did go the game. Not bad defense but remember just pre-season and no set rotation but had 3 great observations:

The D effort by the Nuggets was good. Much better than last season.

They have 2 players that don't mind playing D. Jones and Balkman did good jobs last. If they keep that up they will get their minutes.

Birdman did a great job. And by God he finally learned to make a layup. Almost fell off my seat when he made that three.

Can say farewell to Cleeves, Fazakas ,Mays and Parker. Chances of making roster..slim and none. Howard did not do a bad job. And Patterson is borderline. Plays good D but for a man who can shoot his way out of a wet paper bag he takes too many shots!
paguy1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: