Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-18-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Few Questions on the Preseason

I haven't been watching much preseason, only clips here and there, so I got a few questions for people that have been watching it. Starting with:

How has Roko Ukic looked when given the minutes? I saw him pull off a nice spin move in his last game I think, but when I looked at the boxscore, that was his only bucket of the game.

Joey's play last game, was it similar to how he played a couple of years ago when Garbo went down? I was astonished at his play when Garbo went down, because he did a solid job. Nothing Spectacular, but doing his thing on the mid-range. Not getting a lot of offensive fouls, not trying to do too much and playing OK defense.

Will Solomon. I keep hearing he has a sweet shot, but he turns it over too much. How is he turning it over, when I keep hearing he is more of a shooter than a creator and a penetrator? Is he forcing things by trying to go inside when he doesn't have the skills and speed required? Also, how is his D?

Bargnani! I have been seeing how he is playing on offense from clips and seems like he has found his mid-range game. Am I correct in this assessment or is it only the clips? Has he improved his help D inside? I know on the perimeter he is just chasing guys on the pick and roll and then lost when coming back to the man he needs to get back to. Is his shot looking more fluid than last year, and is he using his legs when shooting?

Last question, Are you READY for some REGULAR SEASON BASKETBALL?

It can't come soon enough, just remember, it starts right on my birthday - October 29th...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Few Questions on the Preseason

All i could say is our first unit got better defensiveley big time, like when the first unit is on and were down 13, we just come back with our defense.

As for second unit confusions with the PG spot because they both show diff sides to they game.. and bargs has just improved.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I haven't been watching much preseason, only clips here and there, so I got a few questions for people that have been watching it. Starting with:

How has Roko Ukic looked when given the minutes? I saw him pull off a nice spin move in his last game I think, but when I looked at the boxscore, that was his only bucket of the game.

Joey's play last game, was it similar to how he played a couple of years ago when Garbo went down? I was astonished at his play when Garbo went down, because he did a solid job. Nothing Spectacular, but doing his thing on the mid-range. Not getting a lot of offensive fouls, not trying to do too much and playing OK defense.

Will Solomon. I keep hearing he has a sweet shot, but he turns it over too much. How is he turning it over, when I keep hearing he is more of a shooter than a creator and a penetrator? Is he forcing things by trying to go inside when he doesn't have the skills and speed required? Also, how is his D?

Bargnani! I have been seeing how he is playing on offense from clips and seems like he has found his mid-range game. Am I correct in this assessment or is it only the clips? Has he improved his help D inside? I know on the perimeter he is just chasing guys on the pick and roll and then lost when coming back to the man he needs to get back to. Is his shot looking more fluid than last year, and is he using his legs when shooting?

Last question, Are you READY for some REGULAR SEASON BASKETBALL?

It can't come soon enough, just remember, it starts right on my birthday - October 29th...

I have been watching every second. I love the pre-season because you can really assess the guys at the end of the bench. So here is a breakdown for you my friend.

The first unit is looking REALLY good.

Jose looks like Jose last year.

AP has been similar to last year. Unspectacular but solid defensively. When his shot is on, his confidence is high and he can do a little more at the offensive end.

Jamario has looked a little sluggish at times. But in the first couple of games he was looking a lot more polished on the offensive end. Especially his 3pt shot. That stopped falling for him and his confidence suffered as a result. He ended up getting yanked from the starting unit as a result but started playing more of his traditional game yesterday off the bench which was nice to see. (Rebounding, Blocking shots, getting in the passing lanes leading to breakaway dunks). I think he needed a reminder of what his role is on the team.

CB4 has looked even better than usual.

JO has looked pretty solid. His game is not where it was a couple of years ago but he is very active on the defensive end - blocking and altering a lot of shots. This is his best attribute. He has also clearly helped to shore up our rebounding weaknesses, even if it hasn't translated into huge rebounding numbers for him personally. His offensive game has a ways to go, but you can see it will get there very soon. Unfortunately he lakes the 18 footer that bosh likes to take. The only difference is that Bosh always makes it, and JO hasn't made one yet. I'd much prefer it if he stuck to the low post.

Joey has played one game, in which he started. He looked very good, but different than when he was playing for garbo. He wasn't trying to do to much when he was playing with the starters. Rebounding, playing solid d and hustling. He got open under the basket on a couple of easy screen plays that were great, and he drove HARD to the basket a couple of times either converting or getting to the line. His shot is still average at best. But if his intensity is that high he can be a force. He was reverting a little bit when he played with the second unit because he started thinking he was the first option.

Second Unit

Solomon has been above average. He can do a lot at the offensive end. Creating shots for himself and others. He can break his man down. And he can guard opposing pg's adequately. He has definitely eased my greatest concern (the backup pg spot). At times he tries to do too much, but it's mostly because the second unit is often so thin with offensive talent that he has nowhere to go. But he definitely strikes me as a good attitude who will learn what he has to do. I also think the TO issue is more a result of who has been on the floor with him. (Last night Moon, Kapono, Hump and Joey). There just isn't enough offensive talent on that unit.

Kapono has looked pretty solid. He really isn't a great player, but he can score if he gets the right kind of opportunity. This is Sam's responsibility. Has to put him in the situation to succeed. There is a recurring theme here. Guys need to understand their role. There are too many guys who think they can do more than they can. This is Sam's job to correct.

Bargs has been very good at the offensive end. Showing what he showed in the first year and very early last year. He is also a lot bigger and stronger. His defense has improved in certain areas. His rebounding is improved when he focuses on it (not enough) and his man to man defense is better when he focuses (not enough) and he can block shots when he focuses (not enough). His defense on the high screen is atrocious and often leads to an easy basket for the other team.

Hump was good in the first game when he played his role. After that he started to think he was a superstar and has tried to do all sorts of stuff he can't do. 18foot jump shots, taking his man off the dribble from 18 feet out, etc. He could be a good contributor for this team if he could stick to a simple role. He could be like a poor mans david lee. But David lee is good because he sticks to a simple role, rebounding and cleaning up the garbage. His fg% is so high because he only takes shots he can make.

Ukic was pretty good his first couple times out. Last game he was horrible. 2 reasons. Again his confidence got high, so he tried to do too much and he sped his game up WAY too fast. He is quick, but if he uses that speed at all times there is no control. Also he really needs to improve his jump shot which is horrible. he will be our 3rd pg this year and probably won't play at all. Hopefully he'll be patient and learn the game. Maybe he'll be ready for next year. It would be a shame to waste all that talent, which is off the charts.

Adams has not been very good. His offensive game is non-existant. His defensive intensity is high, but he looks off. Maybe he is recovering from an injury or something, his timing seems off. But I definitely think he will be on the bench behind Joey at best 12th man on the team.

Jawai and sampson DNPS.

Bottom line the team is better because of JO. Our first unit is excellent. And our bench is better than i thought because of solomon.
Our weakness is at the 2/3. Our second unit would be a lot better if they could understand their roles. In order to be successful we'll have to have a tighter rotation

A second unit of Solomon, Kapono and Bargs is decent. We can have those 3 play with the other guard spot filled by either AP or Jose and the other big man spot filled by either CB or JO rotating so they get their rest. This is how many successful teams operate.

Still not sure where we will finish, but I definitely expect us to win at least one round in the playoffs.

Last edited by bluerap : 10-18-2008 at 11:49 AM.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I'd just like to comment on Ukic.

He's very quick and extremely creative with the basketball. I think in a few years once he has gotten some confidence, experiance, and the strength to compete night after night, he can be a very solid player.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #5
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
He can do a lot at the offensive end. Creating shots for himself and others. He can break his man down.

Personally, I have not seen any playmaking ability at all from Will. The guy plays like he's a converted shooting guard (don't know if he is). Can't keep his dribble alive very long. That is a result of the bench not being that good as a whole but you would still like to see more movement when he's on the floor. He can shoot however and is the best defender of our PG's so I think he'll be alright given that he will hopefully be playing with some of the starters on the floor so his lack of creativity won't be exposed.

Quote:
Bargnani! I have been seeing how he is playing on offense from clips and seems like he has found his mid-range game

Well he has been "encouraged" to play closer to the net so he's pretty much doing the same thing except he's closer to the basket. I'm sure when the regular season starts, his style of play will look fairly similar. Biggest difference is the shots are just going in right now.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: