Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
Wiiner
Kids at the park dunk on me

Wiiner has an OK reputation so far
Default Joe D Where are you?

And why did you trade our quarterback?

I hope Allen Iverson takes us to the conference finals. Anything less and this trade is a bust.
Wiiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
PistonsFan1119
I brick open layups

PistonsFan1119 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Joe D Where are you?

I dont really like this deal that much. The only thing AI can do that much better that Chauncy is score. I mean dont get my wrong AI is one of my favorite players ever but for Chauncy, Mcdyess, and Samb its not worth it. It makes me sad to see Chauncy go I mean he is our Quarterback and the team leader. I got nothing but the best wishes 4 Chauncy and Mcdyess in Denver though.
PistonsFan1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
VanillaThunder
1st Team All NBA

VanillaThunder is considered somewhat coolVanillaThunder is considered somewhat cool

This trade is a win/win for the Pistons in my opinion. They get a rental on one of the best scorers in the league in a contract year who desperately wants to win a title. If it doesn't work out they can make a huge splash in free agency. Great move by Dumars. I would assume they would start a backcourt of AI and Rip and bring Stuckey off the bench. Starting Stuckey and moving Rip to the 3 would make their backcourt extremely small and I dont see the point in taking one of their best defenders off the court (Tayshaun Prince). AI, Rip, Tay, Amir/Maxiell, Sheed is a tough lineup.

2010 free agents include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Joe Johnson, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Redd. They could potentially afford 2 of them. Thats HUGE. Id trade Billups and McDyess for that flexibility alone. They added a big star in the meanwhile.
VanillaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Mdog1
Banned

Mdog1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaThunder
This trade is a win/win for the Pistons in my opinion. They get a rental on one of the best scorers in the league in a contract year who desperately wants to win a title. If it doesn't work out they can make a huge splash in free agency. Great move by Dumars. I would assume they would start a backcourt of AI and Rip and bring Stuckey off the bench. Starting Stuckey and moving Rip to the 3 would make their backcourt extremely small and I dont see the point in taking one of their best defenders off the court (Tayshaun Prince). AI, Rip, Tay, Amir/Maxiell, Sheed is a tough lineup.

2010 free agents include LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Amare Stoudemire, Ray Allen, Tyson Chandler, Manu Ginobili, Richard Jefferson, Joe Johnson, Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Redd. They could potentially afford 2 of them. Thats HUGE. Id trade Billups and McDyess for that flexibility alone. They added a big star in the meanwhile.

How do you figure that your team will be players in 2010? Are they just not going to sign Sheed, or anyone else after this year in order to reserve cap space? Are they just going to sign a bunch of one year deals in hopes to get a 2010 free agent? Think about things ok your team is a perennial threat to win 50+ games every year. They are not going to sacrifice that just on a weak outside shot to get LBJ or DWade or another player that year. Plus they definately will nto be players to get 2 big names that year because that would be at least 20 million each player, and that is 40 million and the pistons will be at least 3 million over the salary cap. This is dumb to say that any one team will be a player for two big time FA's in 2010 other than Cleveland which actually will have about 45million free that year.

Another thing, why would a player that is going to jump ship going to go to a town like Detroit? A crappy town, and a pretty small market compared to NY or LA, or CHI.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
ThyGreatOne
Decent playground baller

ThyGreatOne has decent reputation

you know, when the news on this trade first broke, I was completely flabbergasted as to WHY ON EARTH the Detroit Pistons (Joe Dumars) wanted to give up Billups a true PG for Iverson a shoot first PG. I looked at it from all angles and it didnt add up, why Joe why, A.I dont fit the system, dont fit what Detroit likes to do, A.I is selfish, i heard all the stuff before, but it makes perfect sense to me why Joe made this trade.

(1) its early in the season so if this dont work out, the Pistons can still trade A.I before the trade deadline (2) if it dont work out they can let him walk at the years end and have money for free agents (3) if it does work out they would have an inside track to resign him. its a little risk with the potential of a high reward, its a great move and a great trade.

the deal by all means helps both the Pistons and the Nuggets so its a win win all around. fact of the matter is neither of the teams involved was going to do more this year then they did last year or the years previous. much like the Suns, my team by the way, Detroit realized it wasnt going to get any farther with the group they had and needed to make some changes, much like Phoenix trading Marion for Shaq. i think this is a great trade for Detroit unlike the Suns we are on the hook to pay Shaq for what 2 more years? personally i like the trade for Shaq out here, just not the amount of money involved as it limited our options in the free agent market, but unlike us, Detroit has now got options. resign Iverson, trade Iverson, or let him walk and use the money to sign some key free agents, very nice move Detroit and big up's to Joe D!
ThyGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

At first I really didn't like the trade. The more I think about it though, it could be a move to get them over the hump and certainly isn't one that can hurt the team for a long time period. AI is a tough hard working guy. That attitude fits right in with Detroit. He is the first player Detroit has had in years they can just give the ball to and say score and he can do it. Think of those 4th quarters against the Celtics where there was nobody who could get the ball in the bucket. Also now Detroit will be able to get out and run more and get easy buckets. With Chauncey they were definately a half court team. AI will step up that pace a little.

Sure defensively the team isn't as good. Losing McDyess also makes them not quite as deep. But they did just ink Maxiell, Johnson is the starter, and they have Kwame so the front line still has a number of options.

The greatest thing this deal does is give Detroit cap space. Even if AI resigns with Detroit he's not going to get anywhere near the money he is making now. That frees up money so Detroit can go out and get someone who can make an impact. If he leaves then they have a ton of money to get another superstar. I really don't think he's going to leave though. I see AI finishing his career out in Detroit. That guy carried a team through the East all on his own and took them to the finals. Detroit has a lot of weapons that actually mesh well with AI's game so they have the potential to be a very difficult team.

For now I'll say Joe D made the right move. He did need to shake up the core. He said he wanted a superstar player. He did just that and freed up cap space.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #7
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog1
Another thing, why would a player that is going to jump ship going to go to a town like Detroit? A crappy town, and a pretty small market compared to NY or LA, or CHI.

And who are you to judge that Detroit is a small market? A crappy town… This is a four sports town in which all our teams (except Lions) have enjoyed multiple success over the last 20 years. Detroit fans are supportive of all their teams, even the loosing ones. What makes Chicago better than Detroit? The Pistons have committed to winning since Joe Dumars has been in management. Huge transactions dealing top tier talent (Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse, Chauncey Billups…)
Only thing Chicago has better than Detroit are the steaks. The weather is the same, south side Chicago is rough area held in high acclaim of the hard azz g's and thugz, and the traffic is worse… Dan Ryan Fwy for the loose…

When free agency time comes, the players that desire to be part of a winning program will consider Detroit among other programs that have monies available, while players who only want money over 'ships will look to the highest bidder (ie the Knickerbockers)…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
Mdog1
Banned

Mdog1 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
And who are you to judge that Detroit is a small market? A crappy town… This is a four sports town in which all our teams (except Lions) have enjoyed multiple success over the last 20 years. Detroit fans are supportive of all their teams, even the loosing ones. What makes Chicago better than Detroit? The Pistons have committed to winning since Joe Dumars has been in management. Huge transactions dealing top tier talent (Grant Hill, Jerry Stackhouse, Chauncey Billups…)
Only thing Chicago has better than Detroit are the steaks. The weather is the same, south side Chicago is rough area held in high acclaim of the hard azz g's and thugz, and the traffic is worse… Dan Ryan Fwy for the loose…

When free agency time comes, the players that desire to be part of a winning program will consider Detroit among other programs that have monies available, while players who only want money over 'ships will look to the highest bidder (ie the Knickerbockers)…

While I agree Detroit has had it's fair (more than fair lol) share of winning the last few year, the market is not big. Not to say the fans aren't there, they obviously are. But NY is a big market because of what can be made outside of basketball with endorsements and what not. Do you really think and i'm using LeBron as an example because he is the biggest player in the league, do you really think that if he is going to leave Cleveland that he would jump ship to another small market team? Or would he take the best possible situation (money wise) and play in NY or Miami (not a huge market but big enough) or LA or etc. It only makes sense to go to where you can make the most money and maintain being competetive.

IMO if Detroit wants a shot at LBJ they are not going to be competetive next year. They will sign a few one year deals five in fact. to fill out the fifteen man roster. And then lets say all of those deals are for i don't know 4 million dollars then that puts the salary cap at about 54 million dollars for 09-10. I Can't find Rips salary for the next year, but i'll assume around 13 million. Then the salary cap with a max player is 49 million dollars with only five players signed. Where as LBJ's home team will have less than 18million dollars without LBJ's hold. That leaves them about 50 million to sign players, and then they can sign LBJ over the cap. That leaves them room to sign another Max player and then LBJ at the same time.

It is stupid to think Detroit has an inside track at a max player that year. The only player that honestly could leave his team are Bosh, and Amare. No other big player is leaving his team for an outside shot at a championship.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I could see Detroit making a big push for Chris Bosh. Sheed will be getting older and they will need to think about a replacement.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: