Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Default The real problem for Raptors

I really don't think it's the SF spot. It's a problem but it's not the main problem.

I watch da game and through the first 3 quarters I've noticed players especially (Calderon, Moon, Barganani, Kapono) Getting beat off the bounce. Every posession they just get beat off the bounce and that causes the bigs to get the foul or the kicking the ball out to an open person. W'ere slow in rotation and getting beat off the bounce. This happened at the Hawks game to, throghout the whoel game where Bibby and Johnson constantly got open looks due to dribble off the bounce and kick out.

Now if they work on this they should be good this year.

If you watched the 4th quarter todays game, they were still getting beat off the bounce early but the defense slowly picked up and they wern't beating them off the bounce anymore causing them to shoot, fade-away, etc.

iunno, imo. This is the real problem for the Raps after that great 3-0 start
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: The real problem for Raptors

Quote:
Easier said than done.

- You can't just magically infuse Calderon, Kapono and Bargnani with quickness and athleticism on the perimeter.

- Parker isn't going to get any younger either.

- Moon is the only one that SHOULD be able to play this better since he has the physical abilities.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Moon is the only one that SHOULD be able to play this better since he has the physical abilities.

Moon seriously needs a mental overhaul defensive wise. His gambling on defense is unbelievable. He swear he sometimes lets them go past him so he can load up for a block. Dunno what was going through his head when he was gambling for a steal while Prince was posting him up with his long (7+ feet?) wingspan.

Also, would be nice for him to box out as well but his athleticism usually bails him.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 PM   #4
baller1523
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Main issues for the raptors in my eyes in order

1. Wing Player
-We already been talking about this

2. Defense
-Everyone knows Defense wins games....Raps tend to break down alot (Miscommunication=VC Reverseslam Game winner)
-I Heard somewhere (forgot where) that for the first 3 months of the season last year the Celtics practices were like 90% defence

3. Back Up PG
-For example the Hornets last year had so much success not only because of Chris Paul at the point but also having Jannero Pargo there to come off the bench and run the team n not to mention score.........last year we had that too with Jose/Ford spliting mins (Ford looking abit crazy sometimes but it worked)
-Jose cant handle big mintues

4. Bench (as a whole)
- we have nothing there...
-Utah: Andrei Kirilenko, Kyle Korver, Paul Millsap, Brevin Knight, Ronnie Price
-Lakers: Lamar Odom, Jordan Farmar, Trevor Ariza, Sasha Vujacic
-Blazers: Rudy Fernandez Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye, Sergio Rodriguez
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/feature...der/index.html

5. Coaching
- We dont know what goes on in Raptors practices but that doesnt me we can throw Sam Mitchell out to the sharks to feed on...some blame must go out the players too...i really like him as a coach n i would hate to see him go....Dont forget he was Coach Of The Year a couple of years ago.

What yall think? Discuss.
baller1523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
I really don't think it's the SF spot. It's a problem but it's not the main problem.

I watch da game and through the first 3 quarters I've noticed players especially (Calderon, Moon, Barganani, Kapono) Getting beat off the bounce. Every posession they just get beat off the bounce and that causes the bigs to get the foul or the kicking the ball out to an open person. W'ere slow in rotation and getting beat off the bounce. This happened at the Hawks game to, throghout the whoel game where Bibby and Johnson constantly got open looks due to dribble off the bounce and kick out.

If you watched the 4th quarter todays game, they were still getting beat off the bounce early but the defense slowly picked up and they wern't beating them off the bounce anymore causing them to shoot, fade-away, etc.

iunno, imo. This is the real problem for the Raps after that great 3-0 start

This is why the SG / SF is the problem for the raptors. You can't magically turn players into great defensive players. Players like Kapono will never be a good defensive player, and parker is getting old. We need a change in those positions ASAP.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 AM   #6
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bie
This is why the SG / SF is the problem for the raptors. You can't magically turn players into great defensive players. Players like Kapono will never be a good defensive player, and parker is getting old. We need a change in those positions ASAP.

Kapono isn't excepted to be a great defensive player, he is a GREAT shooter that's all we need of them. That's all he will ever be we don't need him to be a great defensive player, he won a championship with Miami because he was a GREAT shooter ...... hint it is how Toronto uses him which is completely wrong!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:09 AM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
hat's all he will ever be we don't need him to be a great defensive player, he won a championship with Miami because he was a GREAT shooter
Except that Kapono had absolutely nothing to do with Miami's championship.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

meh he still has a ring and no one else on the raptors can say that do ..... anyways Sam Mitchell has to learn how to use Kapono effectively ..... he should be getting like 3 - 5 three pointers a game easily ......
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 AM   #9
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
You can't really say that. Kapono hit some big shots throughout the year. Kapono simply just did his job, and regardless that he was a byproduct of Shaq's and Wade's double teams, you have to give him credit for his shooting...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
You can't really say that. Kapono hit some big shots throughout the year. Kapono simply just did his job, and regardless that he was a byproduct of Shaq's and Wade's double teams, you have to give him credit for his shooting...
No I mean he barely played that year. And when he did, his shooting #'s weren't as ridiculous as the following years. When the Heat won the title, Kapono played a total of 1:32 in 1 game of the playoffs. He literally had nothing to do with their title team.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:46 AM   #11
new noise
madvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88

I watch da game and through the first 3 quarters I've noticed players especially (Calderon, Moon, Barganani, Kapono) Getting beat off the bounce. Every posession they just get beat off the bounce and that causes the bigs to get the foul or the kicking the ball out to an open person. [b]

To be honest, more often than not those defensive breakdowns happen because of Calderon. He's genuinely a terrible defensive player. It seems like 9 times out of 10 he's in front of his man for about a second, then once a screen is set or the guy makes even the weakest of moves to get past him, Calderon is suddenly lost and looking around flailing his arms with no idea what to do. He ends up guarding whoever comes out to the perimeter and being completely overmatched, forcing somebody to come help him, inevitably leaving someone wide open inside.
new noise is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: