Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Default Aussies; Many of you seen 'Underbelly'?

I am from Melbourne and I remember all of this going down, but most of the show is illegal in Victoria, (save for about the first five episodes, highly edited, according to my Sister). I managed to get an unedited version in Singapore and it is awesome. Most of it is filmed around where I used to live and work in North Melbourne and it is the best Australian TV show in years. Best line in the show:

Roberta: "I just don't get anal sex, it must hurt like buggery." (if you don't get the joke, look up 'buggery' in a dictionary).
Manute for Ever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Default Re: Aussies; Many of you seen 'Underbelly'?

Yea, it was pretty funny about the banning. Apparently the cops set up patrols in places like Mt Gambier and Broken Hill, towns that are close to the Victorian border to make sure people weren't "smuggling" the DVD in.

I heard they plan on making a 2nd series of it sometime soon.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
I heard they plan on making a 2nd series of it sometime soon.

Yeah, apparently it's a prequel
Old 11-13-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

dangerous on foxtel was better then underbelly.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #5
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba
dangerous on foxtel was better then underbelly.

Never heard of that. What was it?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Mamba
Vince Carter > Kobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manute for Ever!
Never heard of that. What was it?
a show about gangs in Sydney.

its hilarious theres one awesome line, where they get a lebo named joey (pretty funny since its my name and nationality) where they talk about going to jail.

"i don't wna go to jail you go". i ****ing pissed myself when i first heard this because its such a bankstown lebo attitude.
Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba
a show about gangs in Sydney.

its hilarious theres one awesome line, where they get a lebo named joey (pretty funny since its my name and nationality) where they talk about going to jail.

"i don't wna go to jail you go". i ****ing pissed myself when i first heard this because its such a bankstown lebo attitude.

Might have to check it out
Old 05-05-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Opinions: What was better, 'Underbelly' season 1 or 2?

Unfortunately, I have only caught a couple of episodes of season 2, love what I have seen, there is a marathon here in two weeks (but I will have to decypher Singapore's heavy censoring). Just curious of your opinions...
Old 05-05-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

hmmn, any of it available online? Sounds interesting, especially the buggery.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
hmmn, any of it available online? Sounds interesting, especially the buggery.

Not sure about where online, but it will be somewhere.

Here is the some snipets from wiki, click on the links for more info:

Quote:
Underbelly is a fictionalized account of the events behind the Melbourne gangland war that lasted from 1995 until 2004. In the first episode, the Carlton Crew crime syndicate is introduced, comprising stand-over man Alphonse Gangitano (Vince Colosimo), Domenic "Mick" Gatto (Simon Westaway), loanshark Mario Condello (Martin Sacks), retired bank robber Graham Kinniburgh (Gerard Kennedy), and drug-dealing siblings Jason and Mark Moran (Les Hill and Callan Mulvey) and their father Lewis (Kevin Harrington). Jason Moran's seemingly harmless and half-witted driver Carl Williams (Gyton Grantley) is also introduced, along with two police characters, Steve Owen (Rodger Corser) and Jacqui James (Caroline Craig), the most prominent members of Task Force Purana.

Alphonse Gangitano, the self-styled "Black Prince of Lygon Street", kills a man at a party over a small debt, and with Jason's assistance, injures 13 innocent people. During his trial, Gangitano is murdered by Jason, although the killing goes unsolved. The Moran brothers buy a pill press and employ Carl Williams to produce their drugs. Carl secretly begins making his own supply and forms an alliance with Moran rival Tony Mokbel (Robert Mammone). When Carl is busted by the police, Jason discovers his double-cross and shoots him in the stomach, and Carl is arrested. Mark Moran takes over the drug business, selling Tony Mokbel out to a corrupt officer from the drug squad. Carl kills Mark with the assistance of drug dealer Dino Dibra (Daniel Amalm) and L (Ian Bliss), who establish an alibi. Lewis Moran hires Andrew "Benji" Veniamin (Damian Walshe-Howling), to avenge his stepson, believing the killer to be Dibra. Benji kills Dibra and offers his services to Carl, and although he becomes his bodyguard, Carl is eventually jailed. Carl's wife Roberta (Kat Stewart) is forced to run the business, and she begins an affair with Benji.

Carl is released from jail, and Jason Moran is given special parole conditions to allow him to move to London. Moran rival Nik "The Russian" Radev (Don Hany) becomes a liability and Carl has him murdered by Benji and T. (Alex Dimitriades). Jason returns from London and a concerned Lewis offers to run the business, but is arrested during a bust. With Benji under constant police observation, Carl asks L. and T. to murder Jason, who is executed in front of his children. Carl orders a hit on small-time dealer Willie Thompson, who turns out to be friend of Tony Mokbel. However, Tony blames another small-time dealer, Michael Marshall, for the crime, and asks Carl to kill him. Carl's hitmen L. and T. shoot Marshall and are immediately arrested; however, the police are unable to pin the killing on Carl.

When Graham Kinniburgh is murdered, Carl agrees to end the violence and asks Benji to murder Gatto; however, Gatto kills Benji and is arrested. A new thug, Keith Faure (Kym Gyngell), not named in the series, offers to team up with Carl, while his real motive is to take over himself. Several days later, Faure kills Lewis Moran in a crowded bar. Consumed by revenge for Benji's death, his friend, convicted killer Lewis Caine (Marcus Graham), decides to kill Condello, the only surviving member of the Carlton Crew. However, Caine is double-crossed by his accomplices and is murdered. Detective Owen attempts to convince Condello to leave the country; however, Carl's jailed associates testify against him. In the series final episode, Task Force Purana and Owen arrest Carl at a family barbecue. A voice-over, performed by police officer Jacqui James, reveals that Mick Gatto is eventually acquitted for the killing of Andrew Veniamin, and that Mario Condello is killed while awaiting trial on attempted murder charges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underbelly_(TV_series)

Great show and, if the print media at the time is to be believed, very accurate. If you want more info, here is the wiki link for the real-life Carl Williams: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Williams_(criminal)

Other links are available from there
Old 05-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

why is it banned?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
gibbo3000
I hit open layups

the trials are underway in Victoria and the show could make the trial unfair, because actual names are used, it would tamper the jury pool
gibbo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
why is it banned?

Trial is still going. Some characters in the show are unnamed for that reason, yet you know very well who they are, ie. Benji Veniamin.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #14
Kobe Jnr
Banned

hey havent seen to many Aussies in this forum, the second underbelly really suck ass compared to the first one, they made up alot of **** to make it interesting compared to the first one which was almost 100% true.

i think it was banned b/c this all happened in Melbourne and they didn't want the ppl living their to know wat really happened, and some ppl where still in trial, so ppl in the jury wouldn't change their mind from watching it.

I think that's why it was banned.

Though u can prob downlaod the first underbelly from the torrent websites.
Kobe Jnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Manute for Ever!
Bol'd over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe Jnr
hey havent seen to many Aussies in this forum, the second underbelly really suck ass compared to the first one, they made up alot of **** to make it interesting compared to the first one which was almost 100% true.

i think it was banned b/c this all happened in Melbourne and they didn't want the ppl living their to know wat really happened, and some ppl where still in trial, so ppl in the jury wouldn't change their mind from watching it.

I think that's why it was banned.

Though u can prob downlaod the first underbelly from the torrent websites.

That would be such a disappointment if the second season sucked, the first one was amazing.

BTW, there are quite a few Aussies floating around ISH.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: