Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 11-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
livlife2k
I brick open layups

livlife2k has decent reputation
Default Clippers get Zach Randolph

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 21st 2008, 5:04 PM

Jacobsohn/Getty

Al Harrington
The Knicks completed a wild day of trading on Friday when they sent Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins to the Clippers for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley. The deal comes less than two hours after Donnie Walsh traded Jamal Crawford to the Warriors for Al Harrington.
livlife2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #2
livlife2k
I brick open layups

livlife2k has decent reputation
Default Re: Clippers get Zach Randolph

Quote:
Originally Posted by livlife2k
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, November 21st 2008, 5:04 PM

Jacobsohn/Getty

Al Harrington
The Knicks completed a wild day of trading on Friday when they sent Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins to the Clippers for Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley. The deal comes less than two hours after Donnie Walsh traded Jamal Crawford to the Warriors for Al Harrington.

By Lisa Dillman
November 22, 2008
Reporting from Philadelphia -- The reshaping of the Clippers continued with the acquisition of forward Zach Randolph and guard Mardy Collins from the New York Knicks for shooting guard Cuttino Mobley and forward Tim Thomas.

Randolph is averaging 20.5 points and 12.5 rebounds, leading the Knicks in both categories. Collins has appeared in nine games, averaging 2.2 points. The teams were scheduled to go over the details of the deal and the respective contracts with the league in a conference call this afternoon

The move gives the Clippers someone with the ability to play in the low post, and makes them younger. Randolph is 27; Mobley and Thomas are 33 and 31, respectively. Mobley had been averaging 13.7 points and the oft-injured Thomas 9.5.

"I'm a little upset," said Mobley, in a voice barely above a whisper. "It was a surprise. I mean, I liked our team. I didn't give up on our team. I don't know what the owner was thinking, and don't know what anyone was thinking.

"I thought we were going to come around. It's hard. It's hard because I like all the guys a lot. It's tough."

Said Thomas, who played in New York for part of the 2003-04 season and in 2004-05: "It's a little shocking to have another chance to play in New York. The way the season was going with the Clippers, you had to know something had to happen. That's the nature of the business.

"From the beginning, once you get 10 new guys, it's going to take time for the guys to jell and to get an understanding.

"That just never happened."

Talks with various moving parts have been going on between the teams the last two weeks, and the Clippers made their last offer this afternoon. Earlier in the week, talks stalled when the Knicks wanted Marcus Camby in the deal.

The Knicks, who are intent on clearing cap space for 2010, picked up forward Al Harrington from the Warriors in exchange for guard Jamal Crawford, in a separate deal.

Last edited by livlife2k : 11-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.
livlife2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Wow what is going on? Hopefully we get the hard working Zach Randolph and not the lazy one. Thomas was playing pretty awful and was getting beasted by guys like Carl Landy and Paul Millsap so it helps to have a little bit of chubbs in our front court. Mobley just came off a nice game against Durant and he was playing pretty decent but I guess now we get a chance to see more of Eric Gordon. The dealbreaker to me would have to be whether or not Ricky Davis regains his form from previous years. If Ricky can put up at least 12 PPG and play defense then I will be happy, if he continues this 30 percent shooting or whatever and lets guys consistently torch him then I will be pissed because we already have a lack of perimeter defense. Does this mean Novak will get more minutes at SF now?

Anyways, I'll give Zach a chance before I make anymore comments on him, I wonder who comes off the bench now. I really am praying to god that Gordon either develops fast or Ricky gets his skills back.

Also I wonder if Mardy Collins can play any defense, hopefully he can because we need another QRoss, this wouldve been the perfect time to sign QRoss had he been a FA instead of with the Grizz.

Last edited by dab0yech0 : 11-21-2008 at 05:47 PM.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
idizzle
Good college starter

idizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat coolidizzle is considered somewhat cool

In a way I like this trade because the Clips have a true PF to play next to Kaman but their is one question, what are the Clips gonna do with Marcus Camby? They should trade him to the Pistons. The Pistons need a C so they can let Rasheed Wallace play at the PF and plus Camby's contract expire in 2010 and they all the cap space they can get. This was a good trade but the Clips gotta do something with Camby cause I doubt that he would like coming off the bench and Randolph has a lot of money on his contract and its highly unlikely that he will come off the bench.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I gotta say that I have never felt good about the Clipps wanting to gain Zach.. and now that they have, its still a sore spot..

However, when you consider its for Mobley and Timmy Thomas.. it kind of makes it a moot point. You exchanged a guy who is lackluster in Tim and Mobley who is showing his age, for a 20 and 10 guy.. so I guess that makes it a promising deal.

The problem is that if the system is not tailored to Randolph, he can become very stagnant.. very soon...

The only notion that makes this interesting for me, is the hope that E.Gor may end up getting more minutes.. even if its a remote possibility..
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 AM   #6
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

The problem is that if the system is not tailored to Randolph, he can become very stagnant.. very soon...

The only notion that makes this interesting for me, is the hope that E.Gor may end up getting more minutes.. even if its a remote possibility..

Actually I think that Zach Randolph will fit in if Dunleavy brings back some of the plays he used to run for Elton Brand. Randolph has some post game and can hit the midrange shot and those plays where Brand set up on the elbow may actually work for Randolph.

Ricky Davis is playing like sh*t, I don't see him in the starting lineup much longer, its a matter of time before Gordon takes over the starting spot. Eric was in over Ricky in crunch time against the Sixers and I dont expect it any different unless we acquire a better sg.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

hutcht02 has an OK reputation so far

I think this was a great trade for us. Randolph has been great this season (better statistically than a certain traitor in L.A.) and this will allow us to field some decent offers for one of our centers. Also, Mardy Collins is an underrated pickup.

I feel bad for Mobley. He came in with Cassell and was a true leader, yet he never got much respect from us as fans, even though without him the Clippers probably would've never risen out of the cellar. In my final goodbye, I just wanted to say thanks.

However, we got rid of two bad contracts in exchange for a potentially very useful piece and a young backup. I honestly can't see how anybody hates this trade. Something's obviously broken, so we're trying to fix it, and the trade was a very productive attempt.

One more thought: I've been reading through article after article grading the trades, and after not seeing a single positive review for the Clippers, it seems to me that we'll never be seen as doing anything good. We could trade Sofo's rights for Lebron James and 10 1st round picks and journalists would rip on us for giving up an overseas talent.

Dunleavy may suck as coach, but he's always been good at keeping unruly players in line. Randolph will behave. His numbers may drop a little since he's now playing alongside of Kaman and Camby instead of a bench exiled Eddy Curry, but Randolph will be more than solid at PF.
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
Actually I think that Zach Randolph will fit in if Dunleavy brings back some of the plays he used to run for Elton Brand. Randolph has some post game and can hit the midrange shot and those plays where Brand set up on the elbow may actually work for Randolph.

Ricky Davis is playing like sh*t, I don't see him in the starting lineup much longer, its a matter of time before Gordon takes over the starting spot. Eric was in over Ricky in crunch time against the Sixers and I dont expect it any different unless we acquire a better sg.

I hope Mike D runs the plays that he use to run for E.B. like you stated. I just hope that he also curves Randolphs habit of taking bad shots or forcing up shots. If he works out, he may end up helping Kaman in his game, with the low-high game.

When it comes to Gordon.. I think hes going to be gaining ALOT of time if Ricky does not get his game under control.

Yesterday I would cringe everytime he would shoot. He made like one...

Davis been playing so bad that Mike is considering playing Thornton at the sg and Raldolph at the sf. However I would be very suspicious about that working....
Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
ZeN
PsychedelicHentaiNazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
I think this was a great trade for us. Randolph has been great this season (better statistically than a certain traitor in L.A.) and this will allow us to field some decent offers for one of our centers. Also, Mardy Collins is an underrated pickup.

I feel bad for Mobley. He came in with Cassell and was a true leader, yet he never got much respect from us as fans, even though without him the Clippers probably would've never risen out of the cellar. In my final goodbye, I just wanted to say thanks.

However, we got rid of two bad contracts in exchange for a potentially very useful piece and a young backup. I honestly can't see how anybody hates this trade. Something's obviously broken, so we're trying to fix it, and the trade was a very productive attempt.

One more thought: I've been reading through article after article grading the trades, and after not seeing a single positive review for the Clippers, it seems to me that we'll never be seen as doing anything good. We could trade Sofo's rights for Lebron James and 10 1st round picks and journalists would rip on us for giving up an overseas talent.

Dunleavy may suck as coach, but he's always been good at keeping unruly players in line. Randolph will behave. His numbers may drop a little since he's now playing alongside of Kaman and Camby instead of a bench exiled Eddy Curry, but Randolph will be more than solid at PF.

You have a bunch of nice points here. I did not want this trade before it occured. However I would not call it a Horrible trade, at all. The Clipps traded so-so players for one that could potentially have a potent impact. Also, Raldoph will no longer have to deal with the 'Knicks' situation, and will be surrounded by a better cast of characters.

So I hope that things fall into place and Zach can be a solid part of this team...
Old 11-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
Qlippers
Decent playground baller

Qlippers has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02

We lose on every end, everything we do is negative for the media. We could rebuild New Orleans and solve cancer, but they'll say what took us so long.
Qlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeN

Davis been playing so bad that Mike is considering playing Thornton at the sg and Raldolph at the sf. However I would be very suspicious about that working....

If we still had Livingston we couldve gone with a 6'7 and bigger lineup, might be a slow as hell game but we would get tons of boards
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: