Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 AM   #1
Jalen5
Great young streetballer

Jalen5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Another ESPN with BC and [their] thoughts about what's going to happen b4 feb 19th.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...dime-081129-30

Have to applaud the candor of Raptors president Bryan Colangelo (right). On Page 82 of the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine, there's Colangelo openly telling our own Ric Bucher that he's pursuing roster upgrades as we speak to make the team as strong as possible now, largely because Toronto wants to do everything possible to convince Chris Bosh that staying in Canada is Bosh's best play when he becomes a free agent in that Summer of Twenty-Ten, which occasionally seems to get mentioned around here.

"I'm a realist," Colangelo says. "There are only three prize guys [in that free-agent class] and we're trying to keep one of them. I'm in the market to do something."

The list of coveted 2010 free agents, as you've surely heard by now, is actually a bit deeper than Colangelo describes, but you can see what he means. Knowing that both LeBron James and Dwyane Wade are likely to lobby Bosh to go somewhere as part of a package deal, Toronto wants to move firmly into the East's elite before those two get that chance, which means upgrading at the wing positions for starters.

NBA front-office sources say that Colangelo covets two of the players he drafted in Phoenix -- Miami's Shawn Marion and the Suns' Leandro Barbosa -- but likely lacks the assets to trade for either one. More realistic targets, sources say, are Phoenix's Boris Diaw, Chicago's Andres Nocioni or Charlotte's Gerald Wallace, all of whom possess contracts which stretch beyond the 2009-10 season, with cheaper but less inspiring alternatives (Houston's Luther Head and Golden State's Marco Belinelli) also available.

It is nonetheless considered an inevitability in Toronto, as Colangelo ponders his wisest course, that two players whose last-year salaries weren't high enough to make our adjacent top-20 list -- Joey Graham ($2.4 million) and Colangelo favorite Anthony Parker ($4.6 million) -- are virtual locks to be moved before the Feb. 19 trading deadline, as well as last season's darling, Jamario Moon. Colangelo would prefer not to part
with Parker, but the former Maccabi Tel-Aviv star's expiring contract would appear to be the Raptors' best trade chip.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #2
ejeezy
I airball my layups

ejeezy has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another ESPN with BC and [their] thoughts about what's going to happen b4 feb 19th.

If Colangelo truely wants to win now, he'll have to part ways with Bargnani (which is something i dont think he wants to do). I see him moving our first round pick for next season in order for a trade to happen.
ejeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Another ESPN with BC and [their] thoughts about what's going to happen b4 feb 19th.

Andres Nocioni would be perfect ..... i would think he would love to come to Toronto for a change plus a Euro Culture he would love ..... he is amazing at shooting the 3 his defense is pretty good and he can drive the ball nice ..... he would be a great fit plus he is a tough guy too!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Andres Nocioni would be perfect ..... i would think he would love to come to Toronto for a change plus a Euro Culture he would love ..... he is amazing at shooting the 3 his defense is pretty good and he can drive the ball nice ..... he would be a great fit plus he is a tough guy too!
Yeah he would be nice but Shawn Marion would bring alot of rebounding to this squad. Give us some fast break points also. I think the first round draft choice next year will be as good as gone cause we don't need any projects at this point if we hope to keep Chris. If we're willing to go over the cap and not have to give Miami much salary back in a trade, from their standpoint it might be doable.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

First this is excellent news.

Any doubts about the widely held belief that the Raptors will have to make do with the current roster, or that they’d like to stay under the luxury tax are gone.

BC being the excellent GM that he is knows he has to upgrade the team to convince Bosh to stay. It’s a given. No ifs ands or buts.

Names that were mentioned:
Shawn Marion
Leandro Barbosa
Boris Diaw
Nocioni
Wallace
Luther Head
Belinelli

If the Raptors are serious about possibly moving into that elite status, they’d concentrate their efforts on either Marion, Barbosa or Wallace. Don’t go into this half-assed and get a lower tier wing, which may not be much of an improvement over the current guys. You have to try to hit a home run. If that means giving up Bargnani, so be it.

I’m not saying giving up Bargnani for Marion will improve the team, but if there’s a bigger deal out there, and it meant giving up Il Mago, he should do it. The main goal is to keep Bosh AT ALL COSTS!!
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
J000
ISH #1 AFGHAN

J000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected poster

Thats what I love to hear, making a move and trying to keep Bosh.

Trade Baits:

Anthony Parker (Colangelo's Favorite)
Jamario Moon
Joey Graham

If we would trade Anthony Parker, we would go for someone like Leandro Barbosa or Boris Diaw (Boris Diaw is the more probable one)

If we trade Jamario, it would probably be involving Nocioni or Wallace.

Shawn Marion, imo is the hardest to trade.
J000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Getting Marion, to me, looks like an almost impossible thing. Not because the Raptors don't have the assets but because of what the team would be like after such a trade happened.

- Marion is owed $17.2 million this year.
- The Raptors would either have to go WAY into the luxury tax (good luck getting MLSE to agree to that) or gut the entire roster just to match contracts and then sign several useless minimum salary players.
- Marion is a free agent after this season. No point in giving up much for a possible 1/2 year rental.

To me, the Raptors should be looking at getting an SG rather than an SF. Parker can't handle playing huge minutes this season and is gone after this season.

Jason Richardson, Mike Miller, JR Smith... I would want those to be the targets and not Marion, Nocioni and Diaw.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

danumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation heredanumber88 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

To me, the Raptors should be looking at getting an SG rather than an SF. Parker can't handle playing huge minutes this season and is gone after this season.

Diaw at SG is probably the most probable one. He is a good defender and a great 3-pt shooter.

Parker for Diaw straight-off is fine by me, if that's possible.

Quote:
Shawn Marion
Leandro Barbosa
Boris Diaw
Nocioni
Wallace
Luther Head
Belinelli

Shawn Marion - least probable
Leandro Barbosa - He would be good, but I don't he will be good for the Raps.
Boris Diaw - would be great since he is young, Parker is better but we need to get rid of him this year.
Nocioni - I like his game, but what could Bulls want from the Raps?
Wallace - Possible one also, love the guy my favorites to be in a Rapz uniform.
Head - won't get you to the elite stage of the game
Belineli - I'm good with this guy, he won;t get us to the 'elite stage'

Last edited by danumber88 : 11-29-2008 at 02:11 PM.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Don't like Diaw. 9 million and 3 more years of a mediocre player.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #10
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Shawn Marion - son't think it's possible and he's not a three he's a 4. Don't want him.
Leandro Barbosa Would be great starting at the two and be someone who could run the floor and give us some steals and scoring.
Boris Diaw - don't want him not consistent enough offensively or defensively.
Nocioni - the second best player on this list to fit the Raps needs. Can score rebound and defend. Tough nosed guy Smitch likes and doesn' ask for touches works for his shots.
Wallace - First guy that would fit the Raps needs and I think fit the mold. Lockdown defender and pretty good rebounder from the wing. Loves to slash and get out in the open court. Freak Athlete.
Luther Head - non factor will not help
Belinelli - Has not really proven anything but could provide a strong bench scoring presence behind Parker and come cheap. Also wouldn't mind him say for a couple second rounders or like Adams and a second or straight for Will Solomon. Hopefully can work out a small package to get Marcus Williams as well.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Kujo
National High School Star

Kujo has decent reputation

Nice to hear BC is going do something before the trade deadline. He has no choice, this team in mediocre, and there's no compelling reason for Bosh to stay after 2010.

He will have to strongly consider trading Bargs to get something back of value. I think Parker will definitely be included in any trade package. You can't rule out Kopono being included etiher. Moon, and Graham are throw ins. Both won't be back next season.

I would rather see them target J.Rich, Wallace, and Mike Miller. Nocioni could be a perfect fit. We need a tough nosed player with some offensive skills.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 PM   #12
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Lots of players Id like to have.

But the only player on that list that realistically we could get IMO is Diaw.

He could be good for us.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #13
power works
High School JV MVP

power works has an OK reputation so far

Boris Diaw would be a mistake.

It’s hard to get excited about a guy averaging 8.5 pts, 3.7 rebounds, and shooting 33% in treys.

What’s worse is that he’s still owed 36 million.

OK, Wallace is owed more (47 million), but IMO he’s a better player.

One risk in trading for a big contract now would be the lack of flexibility down the road. It’s not just LBJ, Wade and Bosh. That FA class of 2010 is loaded with players that can make a championship team.

It could be one of the selling points to Bosh. BC can easily promise him, we’ve also got enough to sign Joe Johnson, Manu Ginobli…etc.

Ideally, BC would like to trade for a player that can have an immediate impact, while at the same time maintaining cap flexibility.
power works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
J000
ISH #1 AFGHAN

J000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected posterJ000 is a pretty well-respected poster

I change my mind, take risks and go for another Star that could play defense.
J000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

to get Marion.. we have to give up Napoleon Dynamite (Bargnani) + Parker
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: