Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 12-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
livlife2k
I brick open layups

livlife2k has decent reputation
Default Warriors Regret Maggette Signing Already?

Warriors Regret Maggette Signing?
Posted: 12/6/2008 8:37:00 AM
Source: SI.com

Corey Maggette has proved to be a prolific scorer throughout his 10-year career. What he hasn't proved to be, however, is much else. Golden State's third-leading scorer this season (19.7 points), Maggette has become the Bay Area's black hole.

Maggette's selfish play hasn't gone unnoticed by other players. According to sources, after the final buzzer against Boston, Celtics forward Kevin Garnett turned to Maggette and shouted, "Way to get your numbers."

"He just puts his head down and goes to the basket," an Eastern Conference scout said. "He doesn't even look to pass."

Word from team sources is that the Warriors are already regretting signing Maggette to a five-year, $50 million deal last offseason. When Monta Ellis returns to the lineup early next year, Golden State will have to figure out how to spread the wealth among three players (Ellis, Jamal Crawford and Maggette) who aren't very good at spreading it.
livlife2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
livlife2k
I brick open layups

livlife2k has decent reputation
Default Re: Warriors Regret Maggette Signing Already?

from the Orange County Register:
While never neglecting to point out that Corey Maggette played hard and
that his work ethic was beyond reproach, Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy nevertheless had long been frustrated by Maggette's style of play.

Many people might call it a selfish style or in playground parlance - "I'm going to get mine." Maggette on many an occasion would say to me, "I can score the basketball. That's what I do." Three times, during his Clippers' tenure, he averaged over 20 points per game.

Clippers center Chris Kaman said the half-court offense often would get stagnant because Maggette would simply try to barge through defenders to get to the rim. As one Eastern Conference scout told Sports Illustrated.com: "He just puts his head down and goes to the basket. He doesn't even look to pass." It is the primary reason why I believed 100 percent that if Maggette exercised the escape clause in his contract last summer, which he did, the Clippers would not make much effort to re-sign him. They didn't. So, Maggette signed a five-year, $50 million contract with the Golden State Warriors.

My sources told me that fomer Clipper forward Elton Brand was so determined not to have a personal friendship ruined with Maggette (the two have been close since they attended Duke together), that Brand did not want to play another year with Maggette, having decided that seven years with the Clippers was enough. Although the Golden State Warriors' free-styling, up-tempo system is more suited for Maggette than the more restrictive Clippers' offensive system is, Maggette already is outside its parameters.

Orange County Register
livlife2k is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: