Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Philadelphia 76ers Forum

Philadelphia 76ers Forum Philadelphia 76ers forum - 76ers message board - Sixers fan forum

Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
MasterKey68
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Question Sixers: Underachieving or Overated?

I'm no Sixers fan. In fact, I couldn't stand listening to every basketball analysis say how good the 76ers would be this season and how they would finish in a high seed and go on a deep playoff run. But even I thought they would have a better record than they do now. I mean 9-14? Is that the record of a team who is supposedly going to be a threat in the playoffs?

Now it could be the players fault. Not playing to thier full potential or are being lazy (which I doubt). Or it's the coaching staff. Maybe Mo isn't coaching the team properly or maybe he isn't using every players strength the right way. I mean, with the talent the 76ers supposedly have (Brand, Igoudala, Miller) they shouldn't be having so much trouble this season.

Or it could be the medias and fans fault. Possibly hyping them up to be more than what the 76ers are. Maybe they were really bottom feeders the whole time. Or our expectations have put too much of a load on the 76ers and they are cracking under pressure. Most were picking the 76ers to finish 2nd in the Atlantic division but at the pace they're going, they may not even make the playoffs.

The season is still young, so the Sixers can still turn it around. This was a team that took Detroit to a game 6 last season and this is a team that is capable of making the playoffs. Or are they? This is also a team that finished under .500 last season. Only time will tell. Are the Sixers a contender, or a pretender?
MasterKey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
ffl660
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Re: Sixers: Underachieving or Overated?

AP source: 76ers fire coach Maurice Cheeks

Posted Dec 13 2008 12:50PM

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- The Philadelphia 76ers have fired coach Maurice Cheeks with the team slumping at 9-14 a year after making the playoffs. Director of player personal Tony DiLeo becomes the interim coach.

The moves were confirmed Saturday by a person familiar with the decision who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because an announcement had not been made.

Cheeks was one of the more popular players in 76ers history and was starting his fourth season as coach. General manager Ed Stefanski had given Cheeks two contract extensions in the past season, but the slow start was enough to cost him his job.

Cheeks led the 76ers to the playoffs last year for the first time while he was coach.
ffl660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:48 AM   #3
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Brand has really dissapointed me this season. He should have led the Sixers to a surprise second round appearance this year but instead hasnt been able to pull of the spectacular fight that I expected. They are underachieving for sure.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
JJ81
Good college starter

Iggy has disappointed but to be honest, they were overrated all summer long. Brand should have stayed with Baron and the Clipps.
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
artificial
:-P

C'mon, getting Brand was a good thing. The team hasn't fared as well as many expected (including me, and I wasn't expecting really that much from the team) but Brand isn't to be blamed so hardly. Maybe.

Iggy has sucked. The need for a shooter is still there. The team hasn't worked as some realist fans -at least here- envisioned with the acquisition of Rush and Brand. And I was never a fan of Cheek's coaching (although I admitted he did well at the end of last season) :P
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: