Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-21-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

C-Webb4 has decent reputationC-Webb4 has decent reputation
Default Questions for believers in God...

I was born and raised a "Christian" but i've never felt like one. The older I got, the more I felt like it was all just a fairy tale that people just believe in to give them hope... And now that i'm older and not living with my parents, I don't go to church, I don't pray, none of it, and it's kind of made me seperated from my family who are for the most part avid believers.

So I have several questions that I would like to know answers to...

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do?

2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized?

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years...

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it?

I have some more, but these are just a few to start off.
C-Webb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Questions for believers in God...

Im not the perfect Christian/Religious guy, but I can try.

1. Why are we automatically sinful beings at birth? Are we being punished for something we didn't do? We are born into a sinful world, thus making us sinful ourselves. The world became sinful after the whole Adam/Eve apple thing with the devil, ever since then, anybody born is born into a sinful world and born with sin.

2. Why is baptism so important? If you are good and follow all the commandments, you won't go to heaven because you're not baptized? You will go to heaven if you arent baptized and still have accepted Christ as your savior, it is just a symbolic thing, Ive never really understood it myself either. I quote this
Quote:
a Christian sacrament signifying spiritual cleansing and rebirth; "most churches baptize infants but some insist on adult baptism"
. You do not need to be baptized to be accepted into heaven, but I also read that it " is the sacramental act of cleansing in water that admits one as a full member of the Church."

3. How soon is soon? Everyone always says that Jesus is coming soon, but really... it's been 2000+ years... Not even Jesus knows when he will return. A decade to him could be the snap of his fingers. Time is of nothing to him. Nobody knows when he will come, some predict in the next few years, Ive heard others say 2050, nobody knows and its just all opinion

4. How can you claim to "hear God speak to you"... If you're not hearing an actual voice, could i just be something you "hear" because you want to hear it? "Hearing God" is not when there is a voice, but when you hear/see/visualise God saying something to you inside your head. It is not a figment of you imagination, some people claim that God spoke to them and lie just to try and make them look good. Nobody else can know if he did or did not speak to anybody else, it is only the person who was spoken to that hears it, and is up to the person what they say about it. You can try to hear God and think you have, but you have a specific feeling inside of you when he really speaks to you.

I dont know, this is what I can say for what you asked, Im not usually that good with talking to other people about Christianity and faith.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

So we're born as sinners, then must apologize for being that way? That seems fair....
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
1. We are born into a sinful world, thus making us sinful ourselves. The world became sinful after the whole Adam/Eve apple thing with the devil, ever since then, anybody born is born into a sinful world and born with sin.
But why should the whole world be punished for the sins of 2 people?

Quote:
3. Not even Jesus knows when he will return. A decade to him could be the snap of his fingers. Time is of nothing to him. Nobody knows when he will come, some predict in the next few years, Ive heard others say 2050, nobody knows and its just all opinion

But isn't Jesus supposed to know everything? And all pastors of all denominations preach that Jesus is coming "soon"

Quote:
"Hearing God" is not when there is a voice, but when you hear/see/visualise God saying something to you inside your head. It is not a figment of you imagination, some people claim that God spoke to them and lie just to try and make them look good. Nobody else can know if he did or did not speak to anybody else, it is only the person who was spoken to that hears it, and is up to the person what they say about it. You can try to hear God and think you have, but you have a specific feeling inside of you when he really speaks to you.

So it's something you actual see/hear in your head? And if so, has God ever "spoken" to you?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
CySniper
Banned

CySniper has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4

Keep in mind that when your born into this world are gonna commit sins against god
CySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:08 PM   #6
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CySniper
Keep in mind that when your born into this world are gonna commit sins against god
Which is true but at the same time, what kind of sins has a newborn baby committed? Unless crying is a sin.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #7
blasian
The Afrocentric Asian

blasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation hereblasian has an incredible reputation here

Rainier Beach Poet is the best person to answer these questions. Easily the most knowledgeable Christian on ish.
blasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #8
Maniak
Maniak

Maniak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableManiak is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

I can honestly not give you an answer for that. Id have to ask a friend about that or something, cause I never got that 100% either, I think what Cy said might be a part of what it is about.

Quote:
But isn't Jesus supposed to know everything? And all pastors of all denominations preach that Jesus is coming "soon"

Like I said, "soon" is an irrelevent term for God, time is irrelevent to him. I think that its a thing so that those who are hesitant about faith, would want to become a Christian because they know it is unpredictable and they want to be safe in everything that happens.

Quote:
So it's something you actual see/hear in your head? And if so, has God ever "spoken" to you?

Yep, thats what it is. I havent, but ive heard lotsof testimonials about people who have, and for all of them it changed their lives.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #9
CySniper
Banned

CySniper has decent reputation

I'm not sure if I believe in God but, I also got a question -> Why do babies go to hell if they die? They didn't even get a chance. Its also pretty retarded if God knows your going to heaven or hell as soon as you were born....
CySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #10
Maniak
Maniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CySniper
I'm not sure if I believe in God but, I also got a question -> Why do babies go to hell if they die? They didn't even get a chance. Its also pretty retarded if God knows your going to heaven or hell as soon as you were born....

They dont. Babies go to heaven(and most other young people who havent been introduced to faith).
Old 12-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #11
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniak
They dont. Babies go to heaven(and most other young people who havent been introduced to faith).
But we are told that we are all sinful beings at birth. So why is a baby sinful at birth, but yet if they die they go to heaven?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Rockets(T-mac)

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Shouldn't the title be "Questions for Christians"?
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #13
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
Shouldn't the title be "Questions for Christians"?
I could've titled it that, but "Christian" is just a formal word for believer in Christ.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #14
Rockets(T-mac)

Rockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputationRockets(T-mac) has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Webb4
I could've titled it that, but "Christian" is just a formal word for believer in Christ.
Yeah, but god is a broad term, there are people who believe in other gods and not Jesus. Those people wouldn't be able to answer your question, which is specifically about Christianity.
Rockets(T-mac) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #15
C-Webb4
Rondoooooooooooooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
Yeah, but god is a broad term, there are people who believe in other gods and not Jesus. Those people wouldn't be able to answer your question, which is specifically about Christianity.
Alright, well I then this thread is "questions for Christians" I can't really do anything about the title unless the mods feel like doing it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: