Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 PM   #1
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation
Default A Couple of Starting Positions Open

This blurb from the DMN article about Devin Harris caught my eye.

Quote:
"Am I going to come in and say something stupid like, we have five positions that are open?" Avery Johnson asked. "That's just coach's talk and sound bites, but no. Dirk [Nowitzki] is starting no matter what kind of camp he has. Josh Howard is starting. Jason Terry is starting. Now, we'll talk after that."

So it's not set in stone that Jet and Terry are the starting backcourt. But this also opens the door for speculation that Damp might be able to get his starting job back.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.

Yeah i saw that. My impression was that such a statement was, like avery refered to it, "coach speak." Not to say that I think Harris will start if he is less deserving than AJ, but there is no doubt in my mind Harris is going in as the starter. Harris is shooting 600-700 shots a day? Would he be doing that if he was a guaranteed starter? I'd like to think so, but who knows?

And as for the center position, yes Diop was the starter during the year, but correct me if im wrong, i think damp started several games in the playoffs. And there were many nights, regular season and playoffs, that damp got more minutes off the bench than diop did starting. It's kinda like the running situation in IND. Who's the starter Addai or Rhodes? Who gets the first carry? When it comes down to it they split carries right down the middle and production is based off what they do with those carries. And there isn't a significant plus to either damp or diop, both have hands of stone, get rebounds and block shots. And if one sucks and starts you know the other will be in 2 minutes into the game. With the "starting position open" though, both have incentive to work harder.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Well, we've disagreed on the forgone conclusion that Harris is the starter and I'll leave that to that thread. But I do think that Devin is the type of player that would be working on his shot regardless of the starting situation. He knows that is one area where he really needs to improve to help this team. Now maybe it's "coach speak" to the point of dangling that carrot in front of Devin to push him.

On the center position I agree with most of what you said. Damp started game 7 of the Spurs series and game 1 of the Suns series when Diop's nose was a question. Damp dnp'd ,most of the Suns series. I thought Damp responded well off the bench against the teams bench to get himself going. If he could start the game like that, then fine.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
soog
I brick open layups

Default Devin Harris

I was thinking of starting another thread, but I think this is appropriate here. What do people think of devin harris? So far, other than his performance against SA, I'd say he has fallen well below my expectations and if he doesn't claim the starting PG position by the end of this year, I will consider him a flop. Expectations were too high for this to be as good as he will get.

I did go through all the PGs drafted from 2004-2006 and to this point I'd still rather have him than any of the others that went 5th or lower.

Oh and a question for you silent, I can't remember our discussion exactly, but I feel like my main point was that I believer we will be running 2 pgs with JET being more of a sg. Let's say hypothetically devin is not the starter, then do you think it more likely that AJ will start or buck/george?

Last edited by soog : 09-19-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

This is definitely a make or break year for Devin in my opinion. You've seen the flashes of talent. Now it's time to stay healthy and be more consistant. He has to get that jumper working now. Or with his speed, a little teardrop shot from the lane would be nice. I agree we have better not have seen his ceiling.

Back when this first came up, my thought was that if Devin didn't start that it would be Jet and Buck probably. But after seeing the comments about wanting Terry off the ball more this year, I'm not so sure. Your scenario of AJ and Jet , which was something I didn't even consider at the time, might be an option. Might come down to which one of Buck/AJ show better in camp and the preseason. I would think Geroge is a real dark horse at this point.

Last edited by Silent Mav : 09-19-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
soog
I brick open layups

i do agree, george isn't that likely, but last year i would have said griffin would never start being a mid-year free agent pick up and there is no way our recently signed free agent Diop would be starting over our $60M center Damp.

Just some food for thought, despite differences in size and playing style, they put up eerily similar numbers

Buck: 24mpg 6.7ppg 2.9rpg 1.7apg 43%fg 35%3pt 1.2spg

George: 22mpg 6.3ppg 3.9rpg 1.0apg 40%fg 31%3pt .9spg

Last edited by soog : 09-19-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #7
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Those are very similar numbers. I never would've guessed. Because Buck was a Mav before and signed first, George is kind of an after thought. But that's why Avery is coach. If he sees something he thinks is going to work, he'll do it. And he'll bench you if it isn't getting done as well. Which is a nice change from Nellie.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
soog
I brick open layups

I did have a big long post talking about starters and minutes but i accidentally hit back on my browser and lost it. So in short, i feel that the only two people who will play starters minutes at their positions are JHo and Dirk. Harris, even if starting will only play half the game, Terry will start at 2 but will help carry teh load at 1 allowing buck/stack/george to log some minutes at 2. Damp and Diop will share.

My biggest concern is playing time. In the past, concerns were raised when we would acquire people who's minutes were to be dramatically cut, but generally we only had 1 player per year to worry about. This year we have 4. AJ, Buck, George, and Croshere all avg'd well over 20 minutes a game last year. If you add up all our players avg minutes per game last year you get 288 minutes... that's like playing 6 players on the court for the entire game. And that is a 288 not including Ager who I'm assuming will be the last contribtor on the team.

**EDIT**
oh and maybe its cause I had a coach in highschool who would pull you at your first mistake, but I loved Nellie's approach of "play through it. I'm not gonna save you by calling a timeout or pulling you"

Last edited by soog : 09-20-2006 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I think the players were told before they signed just what their roles were going to be. If there are any problems they will be dealt with quickly. Much like Mr. Christie was last year. I'd really like to see Ager get some burn, but I get the feeling he's going to get some d-league time. And to further add to the mix. They just signed Mbenga to that new contract. You think they are going to pay him to sit and be 3rd center?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
soog
I brick open layups

yeah i do, i mean i think they will get him more playing time when they can (up 30), but I dont think they paid him because they are sure he's going to develop into a player.

The factors that I think contributed to his signing are:

A) He didn't sign with the Spurs, the Suns, Detroit, Miami, etc....
B) We know Diop and Damp can't stay out of foul trouble, so if he can stretch his fouls over about 5 minutes of play then hopefully he'll buy enough time that we aren't without a center at the end of the game.
C) If he can learn to control himself and not foul quite as much, I think he could be the best answer we have to amare. Our other lead footed centers wont be able to move with him. And this doesn't bank on him developing into a godo player, just learning what any 10 year old does playing rec basketball.
D) There's the minute chance that with his athletic ability he will develope into a good player.

All of these things can be accomplished as a third string center.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I agree that part of resigning him was a defensive move to keep other teams from him.

And your other points are well taken also. Though he'll need more than third string center minutes to achieve point D.

I'll even throw out this. Perhaps if he does develop. He can be used a part of a trade package. Or even enable them to package Damp in a deal.

At worse, he's 6 more fouls. And gives the Mavs a nice 3-headed center rotation. He's probably the best offensively of the bunch.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #12
soog
I brick open layups

oh i kinda cringed when i read that last part about his offense... and then i thought about it for a bit and realized that i might have to agree, his 15 ft jump shot was at times looking good in summer league.... but there have been so many ugly-moments-with-benga that make my stomach turn...
Old 09-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #13
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

but soog, you have to take it within the context. Between those 3 centers, you can have ugly moments and still be the best offensively
Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #14
soog
I brick open layups

haha no i agree, just makes me cry sometimes
Old 09-25-2006, 10:32 AM   #15
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

The battle for positions start a week from today. Is everyone ready?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: