Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Doctor K has not been impressing people
Default Is it morally correct to lie?

What are your guys thoughts on this. Is it ever ok to lie? Sometimes, if so then when? Or is it never.

Can anyone make a general statement when its ok to lie and when its not?

Last edited by Doctor K : 01-08-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Doctor K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
IlliniFan
Very good NBA starter

IlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIlliniFan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Is it ok to lie?

My mommy told me lying is bad.
IlliniFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Ok as in legally OK or some plastic ideal that society has invented?

If it doesn't put me in jail I'm fine with it (so even if it's illegal, if I know I will get away with it it's fine).

What, is God going to throw lightning bolts at me? lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Ok as in legally OK or some plastic ideal that society has invented?

If it doesn't put me in jail I'm fine with it (so even if it's illegal, if I know I will get away with it it's fine).

What, is God going to throw lightning bolts at me? lol
Ok is it morally correct to life? If so, then when? Or should you never lie
Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
Odomize

big muscular dark skinned person asked me the other day, "are you the racist motherf*cker who made my sister cry?"

I lied to him.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Is it morally correct to lie?

No, it's not okay to intentionally hurt someone through deceit. Anybody proclaiming to be remorseless and guilt-free despite deliberately doing wrong to someone, even if that action wasn't physical, is lying. Either to everybody else or to themselves.

White or noble lies are technically different in their intent, but an argument can still be made against them as well.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odomize
big muscular dark skinned person asked me the other day, "are you the racist motherf*cker who made my sister cry?"

I lied to him.
So can you make a general statement on when its ok to lie and when it isn't?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor K
Ok is it morally correct to life? If so, then when? Or should you never lie

Morals are socially fabricated. If you don't feel bad about lying then it's not wrong. If you do feel bad then to you it is wrong....TO YOU.

If someone is trying to tell you it's wrong when you don't feel it is, then **** them. Ask them why it's wrong. They will say something stupid such as "It just is man. Gosh."
Old 01-08-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
Doctor K
Avengers Assemble!

Quote:
Morals are socially fabricated. If you don't feel bad about lying then it's not wrong. If you do feel bad then to you it is wrong....TO YOU.

If someone is trying to tell you it's wrong when you don't feel it is, then **** them. Ask them why it's wrong. They will say something stupid such as "It just is man. Gosh."

I'm not really talking about me personally. I'm just talking in general. What do you think the truth is? Is it ok to lie or not?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

because it ruins your creditability. Than no one will trust you and *****es won't believe your lies.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor K
I'm not really talking about me personally. I'm just talking in general. What do you think the truth is? Is it ok to lie or not?

In general morals are bull****. In general you do what you feel is right. In general no one can tell you what is right.

That's what I'm saying generally speaking.

Hence why I said the only time I'd really care about lying is if it inconvenienced me such as sending me to prison.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
If you don't feel bad about lying then it's not wrong.
It's not up to you. Something is wrong when it hurts someone; that's all there is to it. It's not up to the liar, it's up to the person being lied to. If it hurts them, it's wrong.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
Odomize

are we counting half truth as lies?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #14
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
It's not up to you. Something is wrong when it hurts someone; that's all there is to it. It's not up to the liar, it's up to the person being lied to. If it hurts them, it's wrong.

Why is it wrong? Give me a mature answer. Not a one liner.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #15
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think the main time it is appropriate to lie is when you are protecting someones mental or physical well being.

This would be things like telling your mom that her new haircut looks nice even though it looks like garbage. Or telling a disgruntled bridge jumper that they have plenty of reasons to live even if they really don't
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: