Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #1
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Should Bargnani Go Back To The 3 Again?

It's agreed Andrea is our 5 of the future. But for now we have J.O and rather than not get fair trade value for him i think we should keep him and try Andrea at the 3 again. Jermaine has to start, for numerous reasons, and Andrea pretty much has to also, in order to get the minutes he needs to develop.

People say Andrea can't guard the other team's 3, but we don't really play a man to man defensive system anymore anyways, we play more of a rotating guard the paint, team defence and it's every raptors job to guard the other teams 3's. Andrea is steadfast that it's all about the minutes and not so much the position he plays. He can start the first 6 minutes, followed by Chris and than Jermaine because you don't want to move J.O in and out too much with his age.

Andrea comes back in for Chris and gets to play the 5 when J.O is on the bench. Andrea needs to start in order to get about 35 minutes a game because it's not possible to do that coming off the bench. Teams will have a hard time both defending and scoring when these three are on the floor and we develop our half court game for the playoffs which is when J.O's value will really soar.

It doesn't prevent our fast break offence because you don't need all 5 to run. The only thing it might effect is the offensive spacing but Chris will have plenty of opportunities to drive when J.O is resting.

Last edited by Chamberlain : 01-14-2009 at 05:40 PM.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation
Default Re: Should Bargnani Go Back To The 3 Again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
It's agreed Andrea is our 5 of the future. But for now we have J.O and rather than not get fair trade value for him i think we should keep him and try Andrea at the 3 again. Jermaine has to start, for numerous reasons, and Andrea pretty much has to also, in order to get the minutes he needs to develop. People say Andrea can't guard the other team's 3, but we don't really play a man to man defensive system anymore anyways, we play more of a rotating team defence and it's every raptors job to guard the other teams 3's. Andrea is steadfast that it's all about the minutes and not so much the position he plays. He can start the first 6 minutes, followed by Chris and than Jermaine because you don't want to move J.O in and out too much with his age. Andrea comes back in for Chris and gets to play the 5 when J.O is on the bench. Andrea needs to start in order to get about 35 minutes a game because it's not possible to do that coming off the bench. Teams will have a hard time both defending and scoring when these three are on the floor and we develop our half court game for the playoffs which is when J.O's value will really soar. It doesn't prevent our fast break offence because you don't need all 5 to run. The only thing it might effect is the offensive spacing but Chris will have plenty of opportunities to drive when J.O is resting.

Our "rotation" defense is killing us.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #3
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

That's exactly what we want, change his position again. I see fantastic development in doing that. GREAT idea.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonaki1
It's agreed Andrea is our 5 of the future. But for now we have J.O and rather than not get fair trade value for him i think we should keep him and try Andrea at the 3 again. Jermaine has to start, for numerous reasons, and Andrea pretty much has to also, in order to get the minutes he needs to develop. People say Andrea can't guard the other team's 3, but we don't really play a man to man defensive system anymore anyways, we play more of a rotating guard the paint, team defence and it's every raptors job to guard the other teams 3's. Andrea is steadfast that it's all about the minutes and not so much the position he plays. He can start the first 6 minutes, followed by Chris and than Jermaine because you don't want to move J.O in and out too much with his age. Andrea comes back in for Chris and gets to play the 5 when J.O is on the bench. Andrea needs to start in order to get about 35 minutes a game because it's not possible to do that coming off the bench. Teams will have a hard time both defending and scoring when these three are on the floor and we develop our half court game for the playoffs which is when J.O's value will really soar. It doesn't prevent our fast break offence because you don't need all 5 to run. The only thing it might effect is the offensive spacing but Chris will have plenty of opportunities to drive when J.O is resting.

Sweet lord no.

The guy has finally found his groove after 3 years, and you want to put him back in a position where he got torched for the most part? No thanks.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Sweet lord no.

The guy has finally found his groove after 3 years, and you want to put him back in a position where he got torched for the most part? No thanks.

Agreed. He is actually turning into a pretty good defensive centre. The only way I would consider having these three playing together is if Bosh guards opposing 3's.

But it doesn't make sense to start all 3. I'd rather just divide up the minutes so that 2 of the 3 are on the court at ALL times. This can still be an asset so long as JO is willing to come off the bench.
Between the 4 and 5 there are 96 minutes.
Give 36 to bosh, 32 to bargs, and 28 to O'neal. Should keep everyone happy and JO healthy.

But I'm pretty sure JO will get traded.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

I'd rather trade JO now and keep Bargs where he is. He's finally playing upto our expectations. You don't fool around with better chemistry and overall better team right now.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

I don't think anyone would agree that it is a good idea. Hes finally looking like he has found his game, they can't **** that up.
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #8
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

TMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat coolTMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat cool

I kinda like it. Lets face it, Bargnani is not gotta get 30+ mins off the bench. Hes just gotta play the small forward for about like 6-10 mins in a game.
TMAC-RAPTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
Sekman
Great young streetballer

Sekman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
Agreed. He is actually turning into a pretty good defensive centre. The only way I would consider having these three playing together is if Bosh guards opposing 3's.

But it doesn't make sense to start all 3. I'd rather just divide up the minutes so that 2 of the 3 are on the court at ALL times. This can still be an asset so long as JO is willing to come off the bench.

the problem with Bosh at SF is he might pick up too many fouls.

Is Deng playing SF? if so, try put Bosh at the 3 against him.
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:41 PM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekman
the problem with Bosh at SF is he might pick up too many fouls.

Is Deng playing SF? if so, try put Bosh at the 3 against him.

I'm pretty sure Deng is injured and not playing tonight.

We could try Bosh on Granger for Friday!
Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
I'm pretty sure Deng is injured and not playing tonight.

We could try Bosh on Granger for Friday!

I'd rather let Joey Graham shut him down... Or try.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #12
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

RAPSCANWIN has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
I'd rather trade JO now and keep Bargs where he is. He's finally playing upto our expectations. You don't fool around with better chemistry and overall better team right now.

Agreed, until JO come back, keep things as they are, and let Bargs keep building on his confidence.

I also believe as others that JO is going to be traded very soon.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

I would not like to see any of our bigs at the 3 they will get killed out their. Danny Granger would kill Bosh on the outside.

One thing i would like to see though is Ukic at the 2 when Jose returns at this point in the season him and Graham seem like the only ones that will take it to the rim from the perimeter and Ukic is 6"4.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #14
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I don't think there is any way you can move Bargnani back to the bench if you want his numbers to stay the way they are.

O'Neal, in my opinion, will have the same type of production whether it be off the bench or in a starting role, while Bargnani on the other hand has the potential to lose confidence and lose his rhythm if he was moved back to the bench.

Don't even get me started on him going back to the 3. He is TERRIBLE there. He at least plays well enough defense on the opposing teams post players to not get into early and ridiculous foul trouble. Even if he does a half-decent job on defense in the post it's great as long as he isn't on the bench with fouls.

O'Neal would be tough to move to the bench also though, because he is a big name player making huge money. Not that that matters when you are trying to build a winning team, but his pride could get hurt and it could make him very unhappy.

Looks like we have another Jose Forderon situation on our hands.

Jermgnani!
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
antonaki1
Serious playground baller

antonaki1 has an OK reputation so far

Thing is, the way our defence is constructed, no one is actually guarding the opposing 3 anymore. It's everyone's job to just basically funnel them to the outside and baseline where they have little room and fewer options and end up meeting a big, head on. Andrea can funnel with his size and lateral quickness as well as anyone on the team. Lately he's been covering area quicker than anyone in the defensive end, he's not as slow as many are making him out to be. As far as playing the 3 like someone said it's only for a few minutes a game and the way Andrea plays anyways it's all interchangeable, he's not really a traditional 3,4,or 5. He's just a basketball player. He really believes the only thing holding him back is minutes, he even said it doesn't matter to him what position he plays. Having 3 bigs on our court at the same time suits our defensive philosophy to a T, there's one more big to guard baseline when the other teams starting 3, penetrates and tries to get a shot off in the paint.
antonaki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: