Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Nintendo also moving the software

Quote:
January 15, 2009 - The December sales figures are in from the NPD Group and once again Nintendo's two platforms outperformed all competitors by a wide margin. DS was the month's top-seller with 3.04 million units moved. Wii sold to another 2.15 million users. Xbox 360 1.44 million. PSP 1.02 million. PlayStation 3 726,000. And PlayStation 2, 410,000.

The top-selling games for December, as follows:

* 1. Wii Play w/ Wii Remote -- 1.46 million
* 2. Call of Duty: World at War (360) -- 1.33 million
* 3. Wii Fit -- 999,000
* 4. Mario Kart Wii -- 979,000
* 5. Guitar Hero World Tour (Wii) -- 850,000
* 6. Gears of War 2 -- 745,000
* 7. Left 4 Dead -- 629,000
* 8. Mario Kart DS -- 540,000
* 9. Call of Duty: World at War (PS3) -- 533,000
* 10. Animal Crossing: City Folk -- 497,000

Wii controlled five of the Top 10 slots for the month. Wii Play (which includes a controller) continued its reign at the top. More interestingly is the shelf life of Wii Fit, a $90 game that released last May and still sold almost a million copies in December. Also of note, Guitar Hero World Tour apparently sold 850,000 copies in December, just for Wii. It's clear that the franchise officially performs best on Nintendo's system.

Perhaps most shocking of all are the best-sellers of the year. According to NPD data, Nintendo owned the top four slots in 2008 with Wii Play (5.2 million), Mario Kart Wii (5.0 million), Wii Fit (4.53 million) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl (4.17 million). These titles outsold Grand Theft Auto IV Xbox 360 (3.29 million), Call of Duty 4: World at War 360 (2.75 million), Gears of War 2 (2.31 million), Grand Theft Auto IV PS3 (1.89 million), Madden NFL 09 360 (1.87 million) and finally, Mario Kart DS (1.65 million).

By the way, Nintendo also sold 865,000 copies of Wii Music in 2008, we're sorry to report.

link
kentatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Nintendo also moving the software

GTA 4 sold 5.1 million, so that's second on that list.

Does Wii Play count though? It costs the same as a controller, so it's pretty much a controller with a free game. The game part of the package is barely worth mentioning.

But yeah, with Wii Play and Wii Fit housewifes are dominating the top of the charts. A sad sad day for gamers, but good for Nintendo.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

You nintendo fanboys are so desperate to prove the Wii's success it's pathetic.

The only releases PS3 or XBox had for the whole month were:

Prince of Persia 2
Destroy All Humans 3
Tales of Despereaux (all of which were released on the 2nd)
Damnation
and XBlades.

Everything else for the month was Wii, DS, or PS2. I pointed this out back in November I think. I'd find the post if I really gave a crap or we had a decent search tool.

And Wii Fit isn't even a game, it's a damn accessory that comes with a game.

I wouldn't know about Wii play.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

none of those Wii games came out in December either Matty.

the one that was surprising to me was Mario Kart Ds since it came out in 2005.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

Wii games are in 3 world markets where games like Grand Theft Auto, any FPS, and any 360 games really only pertain to 2 markets. Those are available in the East, but FPS and Grand Theft Auto only appeal to western gamers.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
kentatm
NBA Legend

that happens though. some games and systems are massive in Japan (like dating simulators) or Europe (Sega Master System) that don't sell big anywhere else
Old 01-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
none of those Wii games came out in December either Matty.

the one that was surprising to me was Mario Kart Ds since it came out in 2005.

Fine, but again... you have Wii Fit, Wii Guitar hero, Wii Play. I'm not sure about that Wii Play thing, but all of those are accessory based packages that will be used with other games, so they're gonna sell more copies than a regular game.

Mathius
Old 01-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If GTAIV came with a free controller you bet your ass they would have sold twice as many copies as wii play.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Fine, but again... you have Wii Fit, Wii Guitar hero, Wii Play. I'm not sure about that Wii Play thing, but all of those are accessory based packages that will be used with other games, so they're gonna sell more copies than a regular game.

Mathius

the surprising thing about Guitar Hero (and Rock Band for that matter) is they outsold all the versions on other systems even though they are gimped and you can't download the new content (I believe World Tour and RB 2 will allow for this now though)

and yes, I do use my Wii balance board for Shawn White.

the only reason i bought play was for the second Wiimote. However, I simply look at it as buying a budget party game alongside the controller now as of all people my parents love to play that game. The tanks one specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
If GTAIV came with a free controller you bet your ass they would have sold twice as many copies as wii play.

i don't think you can call it a free controller b/c there is no way in hell Nintendo would be able to sell play for $50 and the Wiimotes cost $35 to $40 depending where you go. Its really just a $20 budget game.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #10
Mathius

Quote:
the surprising thing about Guitar Hero (and Rock Band for that matter) is they outsold all the versions on other systems even though they are gimped and you can't download the new content (I believe World Tour and RB 2 will allow for this now though)

I'm not surprised. What have I been trying to tell you Wii fanatics for months? Wii has a small price tag. Mom's are a lot more likly to buy a cheaper video game system than one that's more expensive. Especially for younger children who are obviously going to get less enjoyment out of an XBox or PS3 than a Wii, which is clearly geared towards kids and families.

More systems = more sales for an accessory, yes?

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me the guitar hero verision is cheaper than the other 2 systems? Doesn't matter if it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Mathius
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM   #11
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
I'm not surprised. What have I been trying to tell you Wii fanatics for months? Wii has a small price tag. Mom's are a lot more likly to buy a cheaper video game system than one that's more expensive. Especially for younger children who are obviously going to get less enjoyment out of an XBox or PS3 than a Wii, which is clearly geared towards kids and families.

More systems = more sales for an accessory, yes?

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me the guitar hero verision is cheaper than the other 2 systems? Doesn't matter if it isn't, but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Mathius

no its not cheaper and are you really saying that Guitar Hero is aimed at little kids and thats why it sold better on Wii? You make no sense with what you are saying here PLUS it was actually a shock to the game media and industry analysts that GH sold better on Wii. it really was not expected at all
Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #12
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
the only reason i bought play was for the second Wiimote. However, I simply look at it as buying a budget party game alongside the controller now as of all people my parents love to play that game. The tanks one specifically.

This is what I was getting at when I made my earlier comment. The only reason that Wii play is selling so well is because of the extra controller!! I dont think a game which comes packaged with a controller should count as a top selling game, because like you eluded to, nobody bought wii play for the game itself.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Mathius

Quote:
no its not cheaper and are you really saying that Guitar Hero is aimed at little kids and thats why it sold better on Wii? You make no sense with what you are saying here PLUS it was actually a shock to the game media and industry analysts that GH sold better on Wii. it really was not expected at all

No RETARD, I'm saying there are more Wii's in circulation (because they're cheap) so they SHOULD sell more Guitar Hero's for the Wii.

God damn. If you're gonna argue with me after every post at least try not to be a dumbass, because this sh*t's get'n old.

Mathius
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
This is what I was getting at when I made my earlier comment. The only reason that Wii play is selling so well is because of the extra controller!! I dont think a game which comes packaged with a controller should count as a top selling game, because like you eluded to, nobody bought wii play for the game itself.

You can't argue with him. The Wii is awesome. He thinks so, so that makes it true.

Mathius
Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

i heart you.

does not change that it was a surprise to the gaming press and industry experts.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: