Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 01-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
TakitoEspanoza
National High School Star

TakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat coolTakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat coolTakitoEspanoza is considered somewhat cool
Default Nintendo is killing gaming in front of our eyes

Just let me point out the obvious to everyone alright? Nintendo is killing gaming for the gamer and the real player with this casual gaming **** they are selling and all these dumbass soccer moms and nursing homes are buying up. Do you not think Microsoft and Sony is not seeing the success Nintendo is having by marketing this **** to the elderly and soccer moms?

About a week ago, Nintendo anounced some dumbass crap about letting you "skip" a level in a game such as Zelda if you're stuck... where the hell is Nintendo going with gaming? Why are they taking out the challenge of gaming? I just dont simply understand it.

We all know Microsoft and Sony are not into the gaming market to make games for the hardcore or please the real gamers, they are in it to make money just like every other business on the face of this earth.

Here is my ultimate fear. The next generation of Microsoft and Sony is gonna be really dumbed down and start going towards the casual gamer to make more money, leaving the real gamer out in the cold to *****, rant and ultimately stop gaming.

So, do you agree or am I just rambling here?
TakitoEspanoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Nintendo is killing gaming in front of our eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bqgy1mebh8
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
biisak
Yeah, Im from Sweden

biisak has decent reputation

Youre just rambling.

Casual gamers are good for the industry which is growing enormously. There will always be consoles out for people wanting more then Wii Fit but as a whole, I think the industry is better of.

(Ive owned every console made by nintendo, except the Wii, both xboxes and PS 1&2 (and a couple of SEGAs).)
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't see any bad things about Nintendo that skipping the level things, which is also known as "cheat code". It's an good old sh!t. Even you're the most hardcore gamer you would still like to use some cheat codes sometimes, or every time. I played freakin' hard Contra and I used "up up down down left right left right A B start" every time. I played moderately hard Super Mario Bros. and I used those warp pipes when I want to (actually most of the time). It makes gamers less frustrated. The problem is most of new customers don't know them. So, Nintendo just make it so clear even the gaming-dumbest casual fans can use them too, and if you're a so-called "real gamer" you can just ignore it.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:08 AM   #5
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Eh, i've pretty much ignored everything that Nintendo has done console wise post N64. They do kick ass work with the Gameboy and DS though.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Haven't been a fan of Nintendo since the N64 as well.

I've heard the hand helds (DS?) are nice, but I can't stand handhelds. I own a Wii, but never enjoyed it, and it honestly feels like a gimmick machine to me.

Let's hope Sony and Microsoft don't go the way of Nintendo. Sony has been taking huge losses on the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with some gimmick shyt (Wii) like Nintendo.

Microsoft on the other hand, I see going the other way, and focusing on making their machines more and more like PC's.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
biisak
Yeah, Im from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Haven't been a fan of Nintendo since the N64 as well.

I've heard the hand helds (DS?) are nice, but I can't stand handhelds. I own a Wii, but never enjoyed it, and it honestly feels like a gimmick machine to me.

Let's hope Sony and Microsoft don't go the way of Nintendo. Sony has been taking huge losses on the PS3, so I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with some gimmick shyt (Wii) like Nintendo.

Microsoft on the other hand, I see going the other way, and focusing on making their machines more and more like PC's.

Whats gonna be more like a PC? If anything I think PCs will be more like consoles (or Macs for that matter).
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM   #8
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
I don't see any bad things about Nintendo that skipping the level things, which is also known as "cheat code". It's an good old sh!t. Even you're the most hardcore gamer you would still like to use some cheat codes sometimes, or every time. I played freakin' hard Contra and I used "up up down down left right left right A B start" every time. I played moderately hard Super Mario Bros. and I used those warp pipes when I want to (actually most of the time). It makes gamers less frustrated. The problem is most of new customers don't know them. So, Nintendo just make it so clear even the gaming-dumbest casual fans can use them too, and if you're a so-called "real gamer" you can just ignore it.

But it's not that they add a mode to skip levels that you can use or not use. That's not the problem. It's that it's all part of this general trend of games being more geared towards casual gamers than hardcore gamers.

As a result of the success Nintendo is having, all games will become shorter, easier, more pick up and play, more alike, less original.
More geared towards that 38 year old dude who wants to play a little Wii before the Price is Right comes on the TV, and that's it for the whole week.
Games are becoming more Tomb Raider and less Ocarina of Time.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #9
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I freaking hate Tomb Raider.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #10
biisak
Yeah, Im from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
But it's not that they add a mode to skip levels that you can use or not use. That's not the problem. It's that it's all part of this general trend of games being more geared towards casual gamers than hardcore gamers.

As a result of the success Nintendo is having, all games will become shorter, easier, more pick up and play, more alike, less original.
More geared towards that 38 year old dude who wants to play a little Wii before the Price is Right comes on the TV, and that's it for the whole week.
Games are becoming more Tomb Raider and less Ocarina of Time.

On the other hand, youd NEVER see games like GTA IV (which costed enormous amounts of money to develop) or Fallout 3 (which took forever to develop) unless these companies where pretty certain to sell LARGE amounts. Something theyd never do if the only players were hardcore gamers.

And dont piss on Tomb Raider. That was one great game when it arrived in -96 and one of the most influental games of its generation. I still remember the first encounter with the T-Rex, now that is gaming at is best.

I think the development in the industry will get more people in to videogames as a whole. And trust me, when youre almost thirty (as I am), got a house, a job, a family, youre happy to play games that last as shortly as COD4 or GoW2. I still think Fallout 3 is the best game of the last five years but I had three weeks off during the holidays to play it.

Last edited by biisak : 01-17-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by biisak
On the other hand, youd NEVER see games like GTA IV (which costed enormous amounts of money to develop) or Fallout 3 (which took forever to develop) unless these companies where pretty certain to sell LARGE amounts. Something theyd never do if the only players were hardcore gamers.

And dont piss on Tomb Raider. That was one great game when it arrived in -96 and one of the most influental games of its generation. I still remember the first encounter with the T-Rex, now that is gaming at is best.

I think the development in the industry will get more people in to videogames as a whole. And trust me, when youre almost thirty (as I am), got a house, a job, a family, youre happy to play games that last as shortly as COD4 or GoW2. I still think Fallout 3 is the best game of the last five years but I had three weeks of during the holidays to play it.

Games like Fallout have been around for a while. Don't tell me we wouldn't have Fallout without casual gamers. We had Morrowind. And that was a hardcore game geared towards the most LoTR PC fantasy geeks out there.
Before that we have long deep 3d games with high production values, like Shenmue and Ocarina of Time.

Right now is just really a turning point because Nintendo has been doing this **** for years. Mario Party, Mario Golf, but it was only successful as filler between the A titles. But right now, with games like Wii Fit, Brain Training, Wii Sports, Wii Music. Those are their A titles, their core business.
And they are having success with it, and the quality of games will suffer because of that.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #12
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Catering to the majority and not the minority is smart business.

I'm curious to hear what you consider a 'hardcore' game though?

What's a 'real' gamer?
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
Catering to the majority and not the minority is smart business.

I'm curious to hear what you consider a 'hardcore' game though?

What's a 'real' gamer?

THANK YOU FOR ASKING THESE QUESTIONS!!

I'm pretty tired of those "hardcore" and "real" words that some people keep babbling about.

For me, gaming is gaming. It's just a way to waste your time and money of your life for your entertainment and that's it. The different is that you waste less(casual) or more(hardcore)........

I waste a lot of time playing Solitaire on Windows, so I can just consider Solitaire a "hardcore" game......

Last edited by kaiteng : 01-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #14
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm a hardcore gamer and I love my Wii. I can play WoW for 10 hours and then sit down for 10 more with Mario Kart. I don't see the problem with that.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
I'm a hardcore gamer and I love my Wii. I can play WoW for 10 hours and then sit down for 10 more with Mario Kart. I don't see the problem with that.

That's because you have something called common sense

People who believe the only games in existence are Gears of War, Fallout, or Fable and the only systems are Xbox360 and PS3 are media tools.

Guess what, there's this thing called the Odyssey that it ALL started with, and it only had maybe a handful of colors tops.

Now, as for my personal tastes. I consider myself on the middle ground, I'm not hardcore anymore, but I'm not casual. I play a lot of casual games if you wanted to categorize it.
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: