Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Zombles has decent reputation
Default Matt Hughes vs B.J. Penn: UFC 63

Penn came out from the get-go and was tagging Hughes in the stand-up and stopped his take-downs for the first two rounds. Won them easily.

But along comes round three, Penn is gassed, Hughes has weathered the storm, and he nails B.J. on his feet, gets him on the ground, and punches Penn in the face until the ref declares a TKO. Hughes showed some real heart, and Penn showed he's still out of shape, just like in the GSP fight.

Mike Swick cruised to an easy decision victory. Looks like he's in line for a title shot against Franklin.

And Little Evil got knocked out in his UFC comeback; cat hasn't looked the same since Gomi rocked his world.

But I hope this prove to all the doubters Hughes is the real deal. Penn fought GSP and put him in the hospital. Matt Hughes just used Penn's face as a punching-bag. He can't be stopped by anyone in his weight class. Hughes is a legend, the greatest 170 pounder ever.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM   #2
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,964
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

Quote:
But I hope this prove to all the doubters Hughes is the real deal. Penn fought GSP and put him in the hospital. Matt Hughes just used Penn's face as a punching-bag. He can't be stopped by anyone in his weight class. Hughes is a legend, the greatest 170 pounder ever.
I think GSP is going to beat Hughes.

And I don't buy into MMA math. GSP is primed and in shape.

They're supposed to fight in December on the same card as Chuck/Tito II.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:22 AM   #3
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,980
raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Hughes is definitely the best in 170 even if Gsp beat him. Has anyone held a title in any weight class as long as he has had his?
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
Zombles
Local High School Star
 
Zombles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,284
Zombles has decent reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Hughes is definitely the best in 170 even if Gsp beat him. Has anyone held a title in any weight class as long as he has had his?



GSP didn't beat him. When they fought Hughes slammed him to the ground and pulled off a sick arm-bar in the last seconds of round 1.
Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Targus™
Good college starter
 
Targus™'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sacramento,CA
Posts: 2,146
Targus™ has an OK reputation so far
Default

man, St. Pierre is one bad mofo. I've seen some of his fights and he just kills his opponents, i expect him to beat Matt Hughes by decision though.
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,980
raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles
GSP didn't beat him. When they fought Hughes slammed him to the ground and pulled off a sick arm-bar in the last seconds of round 1.
I know he beat him the first time. I saw the fight. GSP overcommitted to the Guillotine. I meant even if GSP were to beat him in their next fight(i assume that will be hughes next fight) Hughes legacy is complete...
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,306
hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

I still think Penn is the better fighter. The thing that Penn lacks is the conditioning and preparation. People don't know but this guy is a rich azz mofo. Fighting is not his number one aganda. His tools are crazy. Fexible, hard hands, unpassible gaurd, great ground reverses , he just doesn't focus on the fight ahead.
One guy that mught have a great match with Hughes is Caro Parysian( help me out on this guy fatboy). Great reveses, best I've ever seen at MMA. Also Diego Sanchez.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,980
raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I still think Penn is the better fighter. The thing that Penn lacks is the conditioning and preparation. People don't know but this guy is a rich azz mofo. Fighting is not his number one aganda. His tools are crazy. Fexible, hard hands, unpassible gaurd, great ground reverses , he just doesn't focus on the fight ahead.
One guy that mught have a great match with Hughes is Caro Parysian( help me out on this guy fatboy). Great reveses, best I've ever seen at MMA. Also Diego Sanchez.
Diego would be done in the first round if he fought hughes...
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year
 
fatboy11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,964
fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default

GSP is a much different and better fighter than he was when he first fought Matt Hughes. Hughes, however, is the exact same fighter.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default

Penn beat himself. He was dominating Hughes until he got tired and then Hughes cruised to an easy TKO, with the way Penn was gassed I think there are people here that could have beat him so I don't buy the "Hughes has heart!" argument unless heart means getting dominated until your opponent gets tired.

GSP is going to beat Hughes. He should have beat him last night.

This December is gonna be an MMA fans dream with Tito/Chuck II, GSP/Hughes II, and Cro-Cop/Fedor II.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,306
hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
Penn beat himself. He was dominating Hughes until he got tired and then Hughes cruised to an easy TKO, with the way Penn was gassed I think there are people here that could have beat him so I don't buy the "Hughes has heart!" argument unless heart means getting dominated until your opponent gets tired.

GSP is going to beat Hughes. He should have beat him last night.

This December is gonna be an MMA fans dream with Tito/Chuck II, GSP/Hughes II, and Cro-Cop/Fedor II.


Rumor has it that Rampage may line-up a fight with Liddell. Pending on the condition of the Tito/Shamrock fight.
I totally agree, the welterwight division is still a pretty open division.
The Croat Kopp is gonna destroy Fedor.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Rumor has it that Rampage may line-up a fight with Liddell. Pending on the condition of the Tito/Shamrock fight.
I totally agree, the welterwight division is still a pretty open division.
The Croat Kopp is gonna destroy Fedor.

I think Chuck would beat Rampage easily this time. Since Rampage beat him last time their careers have just gone in completely different directions. Liddell has dominated everyone and Rampage kind of lost his heart it seems. I keep hearing that Rampage might go to the UFC but I don't know how true it is.

A fight I would probably wanna see more than any fight is Chuck VS Cro Cop. I think they both might walk around at the same weight. That could be an alltime classic bout.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
hateraid
Is it in you?
 
hateraid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: In your local 7-11 freezers
Posts: 11,306
hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
I think Chuck would beat Rampage easily this time. Since Rampage beat him last time their careers have just gone in completely different directions. Liddell has dominated everyone and Rampage kind of lost his heart it seems. I keep hearing that Rampage might go to the UFC but I don't know how true it is.

A fight I would probably wanna see more than any fight is Chuck VS Cro Cop. I think they both might walk around at the same weight. That could be an alltime classic bout.


No doubt, it'll answer the debate, the better weapon between a kicker and a puncher. But although we'd expect to see a bloodbath between these two, as shown in the Swick/Louiseau fight(also Silvia/ Alrlowski III), it might play out to be a very drawn out patient fight because the two would respect the others striking ability.
hateraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star
 
TMacsOneGoodEye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,818
TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
No doubt, it'll answer the debate, the better weapon between a kicker and a puncher. But although we'd expect to see a bloodbath between these two, as shown in the Swick/Louiseau fight(also Silvia/ Alrlowski III), it might play out to be a very drawn out patient fight because the two would respect the others striking ability.

Yeah, that's a good point. It might turn out to be boring as all hell. But Arlovski and Sylvia were both scared cause they both got glass chins, I don't think Cro Cop and Chuck got that problem. I've only seen Cro Cop get knocked out once and that was by Randleman and in that fight he got tagged viciously and fell to the ground but still held on for a little while longer before Randleman laid another blow and knoced him out. I think it would be a blood bath.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP
 
Ricardo Tubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Miami
Posts: 213
Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far
Default

Quote:
A fight I would probably wanna see more than any fight is Chuck VS Cro Cop. I think they both might walk around at the same weight. That could be an alltime classic bout.

That would be like seeing a wild badger against a pet rabbit. I would want to see it too though, just to see Chuck flat on his ass.

And BJ Penn is by far the best fighter at 170. The best. Unfortunately, he does not actually give enough of a damn to bother training and other unimportant things like that.

He's like the Derrick Coleman of MMA, I hope he eventually takes it seriously.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:24 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy