Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
LakersLaLaLand
Local High School Star

Default Morrison and Shannon Brown Traded for Vladamir Radmanovic.

Check your news. Just happened.

Can Shannon Brown play defense? I really want to know.

Vlad Rad is a good to great 3 point shooter. Not a good defender. But has improved this season. He is certainly putting effort into defensive stance.

Please fill us Laker fans in on Brown and Morrison's defensive qualities. Or lack there of.

thanks
LakersLaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Default Re: Morrison and Shannon Brown Traded for Vladamir Radmanovic.

I'm sure alot of people aren't going to like this trade but we unload Morrison and we get Vlad who showed signs of good play last year starting for the Lakers. He's a good 3 pt shooter and knows the game of basketball. This also clears up a permanent roster spot i'm guessing for Cartier Martin. Shannon Brown could eventually be a backup for Kobe.

Last edited by Bobcat4Ever : 02-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
LakersLaLaLand
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4Ever
I'm sure alot of people aren't going to like this trade but we unload Morrison and we get Vlad who showed signs of good play last year starting for the Lakers. He's a good 3 pt shooter and knows the game of basketball. This also clears up a permanent roster spot i'm guessing for Cartier Martin. Shannon Brown could eventually be a backup for Kobe.

Any thoughts on Browns defensive prowess?
LakersLaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersLaLaLand
Any thoughts on Browns defensive prowess?

Brown makes a lot of mistakes (i.e. inbound passes) and can't find opening for himself...plus he probably won't resign at the end of season so get rid of him's not a bad idea.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

brown is a decent defender. i can't say amazing, but remember, he's been coached under larry brown, meaning solid defense. however, morrison is NOT a good defender, which is why he had fallen out of favor with brown.

living in LA and watching all the lakers game, i think vlad rad is a pretty good player, he'll definitely do more for us than morrison was doing. he's often a knockdown 3 point shooter. i like the trade. i actually always really liked morrison, so seeing him in a lakers jersey will be pretty cool for me.
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

its probably a good move for both teams... both vlad and morrison had worn out their welcomes with each coach...

vlad will drive you crazy with flashes of brilliance with his high arcing 3-pointers... problem is that he only does it about once every 8 games... if he could have only sustained that sort of shooting capabilities.... i hope he works out for the cats...

p.s. not a good defender either.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
JJ81
Good college starter

Good luck and thank you, Radman
JJ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM   #9
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Here's the story from Bonnell:

Quote:
Bobcats send Morrison to Lakers for Radmanovic

By Rick Bonnell
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Feb. 07, 2009

Apparently the Charlotte Bobcats like Vladimir Radmanovic a lot, because they added more than $8million in future payroll to make Saturday's trade happen.
Just about the time they were boarding a flight Saturday to Miami to play the Heat today, the Bobcats dealt Adam Morrison and Shannon Brown to the Los Angeles Lakers for 6-foot-10 forward Radmanovic.
At a glance, this looks like the swap of one under-achieving wing shooter for another, with Brown thrown in to balance the salaries.
Bobcats general manager Rod Higgins described this as finding a guy who could play all three front-court positions.
"You can classify him as a 4 (power forward) or a 3 (small forward). We think if you go small, maybe he's (effective as) a 5 (center). Of course we feel positive about this deal, or we wouldn't have done it.''
Despite Higgins' optimism, Radmanovic has had even less impact for the Lakers of late than Morrison had for the Bobcats. Over his past five games, Radmanovic totaled five points, six rebounds and two assists in 31 minutes. He shot 2-of-9.
Morrison, thrust into a starter's role because of Gerald Wallace's injury, totaled 20 points, five rebounds and two assists over 91 minutes. He shot 8-of-22 in his last five games.
Morrison was unhappy here and sources said he wanted out. He met with coach Larry Brown recently to express that.
"It wasn't going to work here because of the way he felt,'' Brown told the Observer. "He needs a new start. The expectations were really high, as they should be for the third pick.''
This was the third trade for the Bobcats this season, and there are 12 days left until the NBA's trade deadline. Both of the last two deals – the other acquiring center Gana Diop from the Dallas Mavericks – add to the future payroll.
Shannon Brown's contract expires after this season, while Morrison is owed about $5.2million next season. Radmanovic has two seasons left beyond this one, at salaries of about $6.5million and $6.9million.
The Bobcats are tying up future payroll, just as many other NBA teams are reducing long-term obligations in anticipation of a sterling free-agent class the summer of 2010.
"Whatever we decide to do is not predicated on what other teams do,'' Higgins said. "The summer of 2010 is all about ‘what-ifs?' Who'll be out there, who will opt out? You don't know.
"That's not to say we don't see ourselves as a destination for free agents. But for where we are – five years in, still in the infancy stage – we're trying to develop assets.''
It's clear Morrison wasn't a developing asset. The third overall pick in the 2006 draft, he was overwhelmed as a defender and self-conscious as a shooter. Brown said recently that Morrison never showed the competitiveness or creativity in games that he did in practice.
Morrison was in imminent danger of losing the starting spot he received via Wallace's injury. Brown openly discussed multiple alternatives, such as moving Boris Diaw to small forward or starting Cartier Martin, a call-up from the Developmental League.
Radmanovic has been on the fringes of the Lakers' rotation and drawing the wrath of coach Phil Jackson, known for his sarcastic critiques.
After Radmanovic totaled 11 points, on 4-of-15 shooting, in three fill-in starts last month, Jackson said this to the Los Angeles Times:
"He really hasn't merited starting, there's no doubt about it. With Luke (Walton) and Lamar (Odom) out for that time period, I really think we're almost forced to use him for those early minutes in the ball game and hoping he can give us something in the process.''
For all this change – Radmanovic will become a league-high 23rd player to enter a game for the Bobcats – they might not be done.
Point guard Raymond Felton becomes a restricted free agent in July. Despite his strong play of late, they might still move him to side-step the chance of losing him for nothing.
"Raymond has done an excellent job of playing,'' Higgins said. "But the specifics (i.e. free-agency) are always there.
"We have 12 days (until the trade deadline). Will we do something else? I don't know.''
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:50 AM   #10
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I am throwing a party on the inside. Three deals in a row where we havent gotten totally raped!

At first I had thought it was Sasha Vujacic that we had acquired which really made me pee myself, but Radmanovic is still a good player, better IMO than Morrison and Brown.

For the Laker fans, you got crap. Brown shows flashes of brilliance, but he looks so lost at times. As for Morrison, if you think he struggled in Charlotte's small market, I'd be surprised if he doesn't pass out before he get's on the court. Maybe Kobe will rub off on him.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 AM   #11
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

i agree that the lakers got crap... or as pjax called them today "developmental players." i don't expect anything from them... but honestly, i stopped expecting anything from vladrad either.

for the lakers they get cap relief... for the cats, they get a serviceable player that will give them streaks of incredible sharp shooting.

i think its a good move for both teams.

if anyone can get "something" out of vladrad, it will be larry brown. i don't think vladrad did well with the zen thing, and i think larry will be all over him like glue to make sure he steps up.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:23 AM   #12
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
As for Morrison, Maybe Kobe will rub off on him.

Or run over him. Poor Ammo. Los Angeles will definitely be too much for him. It's a very rough place to be.

onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #13
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Or run over him. Poor Ammo. Los Angeles will definitely be too much for him. It's a very rough place to be.

It's very tough to be in a winning team and not contributing. I bet someone will criticize Morrison or Brown if the Lakers win championship and the two does nothing more than filling junk minutes, and get themselves two rings.

Anyway, this is a nice trade for the Cats. I don't think Charlotte has much chance landing a superstar or sub-superstar in 2010 even if there's enough cap space. People always perfer to play for winners, especially for veteran superstars. Our bench's getting much better.

The only reason Charlotte gets a superstar is for marketing, to give a boost in ticket sales...

So far the only other junk left in Bobcats' roster is Mohammed, and I bet he'll very soon be traded with Felton.

Was this Higgin's idea or Jordan's idea? If Higgins made this trade happened without Jordan's permission, kick Jordan's ass out of the front office.
Higgins is cleaning up Jordan's mess.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:37 AM   #14
meanmonster
I brick open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidbasesalt
It's very tough to be in a winning team and not contributing. I bet someone will criticize Morrison or Brown if the Lakers win championship and the two does nothing more than filling junk minutes, and get themselves two rings.

Anyway, this is a nice trade for the Cats. I don't think Charlotte has much chance landing a superstar or sub-superstar in 2010 even if there's enough cap space. People always perfer to play for winners, especially for veteran superstars. Our bench's getting much better.

The only reason Charlotte gets a superstar is for marketing, to give a boost in ticket sales...

So far the only other junk left in Bobcats' roster is Mohammed, and I bet he'll very soon be traded with Felton.

Was this Higgin's idea or Jordan's idea? If Higgins made this trade happened without Jordan's permission, kick Jordan's ass out of the front office.
Higgins is cleaning up Jordan's mess.

I doubt very seriously that MJ didnt hear a whisper of this trade, and honestly, drafting Morrison probably was the right thing to do at the time. So I cant fault anyone for that. That stuff happens in sports. I actually think Morrison can salvage his career somewhat. He is never going to be a great defender, but he can be a very very good role player somewhere eventually. I have seen nothing to make me believe that in the NBA but I have to give him benefit of the doubt somewhat due to his stellar college career and desire to win.
meanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:26 AM   #15
TarHeelBorn
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
+1
TarHeelBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: