Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool
Default Toronto Raptors 2009 Off-Season Thread!

Expiring Contracts;

Shawn Marion (Bird Rights) $17,810,000
Anthony Parker (Bird Rights) $4,550,000
Jorge Garbajosa $4,250,000
Carlos Delfino (QO) $2,744,299
Joey Graham (Bird Rights) $2,449,184
Jake Voskuhl $835,491
Patrick O'Bryant $797,581

That leaves 30.7 million coming off the books this off season (Delfino doesn‘t count).

2009 Salaries

Chris Bosh $15,779,912
Jose Calderon $8,219,010
Jason Kapono $6,212,960
Andrea Bargnani $6,527,491
Marcus Banks $4,553,793
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
Roko Ukic $1,350,000
Nathan Jawai $736,420

That leaves us with a payroll in 2009 of 46.3 million distributed through 8 players. That means we need to sign another 4 players for 13 million dollars to round out the roster. We could re-sign Marion, Parker and Graham using the Bird exception and offer Delfino our qualifying offer we will probably have gone over the 13 million we were able to spend this summer. Don't forget that we will also have a 1st round draft pick this year as well. Our roster for 2009 will be as follows;

C - Bargnani/Jawai
PF - Bosh/Humphries
SF - Marion/Delfino/Kapono
SG - Parker/Graham
PG - Calderon/Ukic/Banks

+ Draft Pick

2009 Notes;

- Our frontcourt depth is seriously compromised and will need an upgrade for backup C (Nesterovic or Draft Pick, Thabeet, Hill, Monroe, Mullins), because Jawai is not ready for the NBA just yet.

- Our starting SG position could use an upgrade as well since Parker is turning 34 years old this summer and would be better suited as a bench player.

My question for all of you is; Should we use the final 13 million on re-signing our own players to help maintain our depth, or make a splash in the FA market and add another star player to our rotation? Keep in mind that we are one of the few teams that have cap space this summer and can afford to sign a player to a contract of more than 10 million (Since everyone is jockeying for the 2010 sweepstakes), and also that we are in need of a starting SG as well as a backup C.

Here is a link for the free agent class of 2009;

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-09-10

What do you think we should do this summer? Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Toni : 02-22-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
New Rap City
Pickin' and poppin'

New Rap City has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Toronto Raptors 2009 Off-Season Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni

That leaves us with a payroll in 2009 of 46.3 million distributed through 8 players. That means we need to sign another 4 players for 13 million dollars to round out the roster. If we re-sign Marion, Parker and Graham using the Bird exception and offer Delfino our qualifying offer we will have 13 million to spend on 1-2 players. Don't forget that we will also have a 1st round draft pick this year as well. Our roster for 2009 will be as follows;

Forgive me if i am wrong (and think this has been discussed before), but if we sign all the guys you say we will, we won't have that 13 million in cap space. Bird rights mean that you could go over the cap if you wanted to, to sign them, not that their salaries don't count towards the cap...so Marion would take $10 mil to sign, Parker $3, Graham $3...so thats $16 right there putting us up at 62 million area, not able to sign a free agent.

So what everyone is discussing is whether we should stick with Marion and the guys we have, or let him go and give ourselves the ability to sign a bigger free agent (see all the other posts).
New Rap City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Rap City
Forgive me if i am wrong (and think this has been discussed before), but if we sign all the guys you say we will, we won't have that 13 million in cap space.

Your right I made a mistake when I was writing it. See the edit. Thanks.

Funny how the two guys at the end of our depth charts for next season are making the 4th (Kapono, $6,212,960) and 5th (Banks, $4,553,793) most on the team.

Kapono's contract needs to be moved ASAP (Before the deadline would be nice for more flexibility this summer). I will save my judgment on Banks until I see him play a little more. Maybe he could end up being the steal of the trade? I'm just staying optimistic but who knows?

Last edited by Toni : 02-17-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #4
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Toni, you should have waited for the trade deadline before you made this thread, just incase! lol
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

jrcp3 has an OK reputation so far

If we don't sign a mid level player this off season with all that cap room we now have ill be convince Bryan Colangelo is a horrible GM. and ill Guarantee if Bryan Colangelo doesn't sign some players this summer and improve this team by next year Chris Bosh will be gone GUARANTEED!
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Toni, you should have waited for the trade deadline before you made this thread, just incase! lol

lol I will edit it if there's any trade that are made from now until the deadline. I kinda did it for myself to see how our team may look in 2009 and what are options are. Realistically I don't think the team will change much except for adding a few pieces to the bench.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
SESSEL15
High School Starter

SESSEL15 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
lol I will edit it if there's any trade that are made from now until the deadline. I kinda did it for myself to see how our team may look in 2009 and what are options are. Realistically I don't think the team will change much except for adding a few pieces to the bench.

Ya, i doubt they'll change much either...i'm just praying we get rid of one of those horrible contracts!
SESSEL15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESSEL15
Ya, i doubt they'll change much either...i'm just praying we get rid of one of those horrible contracts!

I'm just glad we signed Calderon for as cheap as we did. Even though he is a liability on defense, he is a very efficient offensive player and probably could have gotten more than 10 million on the open market.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

Hedo, Barnes and even Rasho...really a solid back-up C would be great since Bargs and Bosh are natural 4's...
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Sorry guys I have another CBA question..

If we re-sign all of our players and we're over the cap, do we still get the MLE? Or will we only get the Bi-Annual exception? Which is basically nothing..

Is there some kind of cut-off date that we have to be over the cap to use the MLE?
Old 02-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

If we re-sign all of our players and we're over the cap, do we still get the MLE? Or will we only get the Bi-Annual exception? Which is basically nothing..

Is there some kind of cut-off date that we have to be over the cap to use the MLE?

Mid-level exception

A team is allowed to sign one player to a contract equal to the average NBA salary, even if the team is over the salary cap already, or if the signing would put them over the cap. This is known as the Mid-level exception (MLE). The MLE may be used on an individual free agent or split among multiple free agents, and is available regardless of where a team stands with respect to the salary cap. The Mid-Level Exception for the 2007-08 NBA season was $5.36 million. The MLE is $5.585 million for the 2008-09 NBA regular season.

An example would be the Toronto Raptors' acquisition of Jason Kapono during the 2007 off-season.

Bi-annual exception

The bi-annual exception may be used to sign any free agent to a contract starting at $1.672 million in 2005-06, but cannot be used two years in a row (and if the $1 million exception from the previous CBA was used in 2004-05, the bi-annual exception cannot be used in 2005-06). Like the mid-level exception, the $1 million exception can also be split among more than one player, and can be used to sign players for up to two years, with raises limited to 8% per year. This exception was referred to as the "$1 million exception" in the 1999 CBA, although it was only valued at $1 million for the first year of the agreement."
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

My wish list for the trade deadline/off-season:

1. Get rid of Kapono
2. Get rid of Banks
3. Turn the combo of Parker/Graham into something worthy of starting
4. A gritty Backup Center
5. Wing defender who can rebound (even if Marion re-signs)

Basically, I'm saying try to trade any combonations of Kapono/Banks/Graham/Parker and even Solomon and get a decent rebounding Center (backup) and a good wing defender. Then we still have money to work with, and a pretty good draft pick.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Pretty sure they will be as they will be able to use the MLE in the situation you suggested. However, some people were suggesting that they sign FA's and then resign out own players with Bird rights which is incorrect.

As far as the deadline, I think you have to resign your players before a certain date before they hit the open market (lose their Bird rights) so in that time is when Toronto would have to go over the cap.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
Pretty sure they will be as they will be able to use the MLE in the situation you suggested. However, some people were suggesting that they sign FA's and then resign out own players with Bird rights which is incorrect.

As far as the deadline, I think you have to resign your players before a certain date before they hit the open market (lose their Bird rights) so in that time is when Toronto would have to go over the cap.

Kk thanks for clarifying that. The Wikipedia post didn't help. So we can probably sign Rasho and maybe Barnes with our MLE on top of re-signing our own players. If that's the case than we should have a very successful 2009 season.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
My wish list for the trade deadline/off-season:

1. Get rid of Kapono
2. Get rid of Banks
3. Turn the combo of Parker/Graham into something worthy of starting
4. A gritty Backup Center
5. Wing defender who can rebound (even if Marion re-signs)

Basically, I'm saying try to trade any combonations of Kapono/Banks/Graham/Parker and even Solomon and get a decent rebounding Center (backup) and a good wing defender. Then we still have money to work with, and a pretty good draft pick.

#1 & #2 would be a dream come true and I'm sure Colangelo is trying to push them on teams right now before the deadline. Although I'm convinced we will be stuck with those contracts until at least the last year of their deals.

I wouldn't mind keeping Parker and Graham though. They can be a part of a very solid bench unit for us next year.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: