Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Undisputed
Do. Your. Job.

Default Street Fighter IV Discussion

Is this game any good? What's different about it from all of the other SF games? I'm not sure if I want to spend 60 bucks on this game, it just looks like SFII with better graphics.

Those who have played it, review?
Undisputed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #2
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Street Fighter IV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undisputed
Is this game any good? What's different about it from all of the other SF games? I'm not sure if I want to spend 60 bucks on this game, it just looks like SFII with better graphics.

Those who have played it, review?

I don't like it. I think it's the worst of all the fighter's I've played in the last year, but then I don't like fighting games. But I played MK vs DC and I played Soul Calibur 4, and I liked them both better. Soul Calibur 4 was my favorite of the 3.

I don't like that the block button is back like the traditional setup. It's too easy to accidently go into a jump if you nudge the button or stick too far the wrong way. The combo system is far more complicated than other setups. You now have an "ultra combo" and a "super combo".

There's no way in hell you get through the game without learning all the special moves... which is normal I guess, but when I open the command screen it's like translating another language. They don't tell you "x, y, a, b, lb" they tell you punch, kick, medium kick, and then there's other symbols that neither me nor my buddy figured out. SC4 was like that, and it was irritating.

My buddy who played this game all week long still had a b*tch of a time beating the last boss just on medium hard. It seems like all the characters are pretty easily beaten until you get to "Seth" and he's just a PITA.

BTW, you can unlock Seth, but he's about half the speed of the computer Seth.

The graphics were very VERY nice, I'll give them that.

I might be a bit bias since I hate fighting games and I didn't really want to play it at all. It could be I was just fed up with having to play a third fighting game this year.

All I know is I did 1000X better with MKvsDC and SC4.

I think this one is more for the nostalgia seekers or hard core fighter fans myself.

EDIT: P.S. The music track is awful for this game. The cut scenes are very close to anime.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 02-22-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
biisak
Yeah, I´m from Sweden

Getting awfully good reviews though. Think I´ll be picking up a copy later today.

Street Fighter IV Reviews
Other reviews of Street Fighter IV TeamXbox ** 9.2 / 10 Feb 17, 2009
IGN ** 9.3 / 10 Feb 12, 2009
1UP ** A Feb 17, 2009
Eurogamer ** 10 / 10 Feb 16, 2009
VideoGamer ** 9 / 10 Feb 16, 2009
MS Xbox World ** 9.5 / 10 Feb 17, 2009
Gaming Nexus ** A Feb 17, 2009
DarkZero ** 10 / 10 Feb 17, 2009
Gametrailers ** 9.2 / 10 Feb 16, 2009
WonderwallWeb ** 9.3 / 10 Feb 16, 2009
Giant Bomb ** 5 / 5 Feb 16, 2009
Gameplayer ** 9.5 / 10 Feb 15, 2009
Planet Xbox 360 ** 9.1 / 10 Feb 15, 2009
D+PAD Magazine 5 / 5 Feb 17, 2009
Game Informer ** 9.25 / 10 Mar 1, 2009
Official Xbox Magazine ** 9.5 / 10 Feb 1, 2009
GamePro 5 / 5 Mar 1, 2009
X360 Magazine UK 10 / 10 Feb 16, 2009
biisak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
Younggrease
Banned

I absolutely love it...great balanced game.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I absolutely love it...great balanced game.

Agreed. I got it last night, and it's a really well balanced, and fun fighting game. I usually play with Guile, but his moves are difficult to pull with a standard D-pad, so I'm rolling with Sagat right now... who is really powerful.

Still waiting on my SF4 TE Arcade Pad though. Playing with a standard controller is a pain. Rumor is that the Pads (Madcatz) are backordered through April... so I hope I'm not included in that group.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

I'm gonna get mine after work today!

I heard they made Dan Hibiki a serious character now. Time to kick some ass in pink / lime green.

On a side note, I don't think Street Fighter is as hardcore as Tekken or Soul Calibur.

If you're an absolute scrub who can't learn a d,df,f+P move then you'd enjoy Tekken more because it is really button-mashing friendly.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
jailer
MillionDollarException

Im currently playing it. It is a really good game. The graphics are great. The game speed and mechanics are well done.

It might not be as easily playable like soul caliber 4 or mkvsdc. But its well worth the time spent learning how to play the right way as opposed to most button mashing games. I am very impressed with the game. It has come along way since its first days.

If your not a big fighting game fan then I would just rent it as opposed to buying it.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
jailer
MillionDollarException

Exclamation Re: Street Fighter IV Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
I'm gonna get mine after work today!

I heard they made Dan Hibiki a serious character now. Time to kick some ass in pink / lime green.

On a side note, I don't think Street Fighter is as hardcore as Tekken or Soul Calibur.

If you're an absolute scrub who can't learn a d,df,f+P move then you'd enjoy Tekken more because it is really button-mashing friendly.
I like those other games as well. But I currently am likeing sf4 way better than the others.

Dan is as stupid as ever in this as well. His moves just arent as weak as before
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Blanka is a beast!
bigkingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
Still waiting on my SF4 TE Arcade Pad though. Playing with a standard controller is a pain. Rumor is that the Pads (Madcatz) are backordered through April... so I hope I'm not included in that group.

Are you waiting on the pad

or a stick?

I think the pads are readily available at any big box retailer (Best Buy, Game Stop).

Regarding the arcade sticks (I posted this for SayTownRy) and I'll post it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Fuck a hori stick… and no need to spend the $150 on at SFIV TE stick.

Here is what to do…

Get the cheaper SFIV SE stick

order some real japanese arcade parts. Lizard Lick is pretty reasonable and they are in the USA
sticks
buttons

Then its all plug and play - everything is quick disconnects. If you can put a plug in an outlet and turn a screwdriver, then there will be no trouble in modifying this stick.

and here is a nice FAQ (with pics) at Shoryuken
How to mod the SFIV SE FightStick

Anyways, on topic,
My friend picked it up last tuesday, and I went there on that day as well as Friday to throw down in it. I like it and its nice to see it be more lenient than 3rd Strike. I think its a little more friendly for lower level players I guess -which is what I am lol. I'll pick it up soon. I am not in a rush to get it but I had to get the controllers right away and glad I reserved them as the sticks are going for crazy money. My parts should be here tomorrow so I'll mod it and play on proper parts for less money than the TE stick cost.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I got it two days ago. Of course my record is bad because my friend insisted I play him. He's had the game for a minute plus has the arcade stick. I dont mind playing people but not when I just get a game. This isnt the type of game you pop in then figure out as you go along. You gotta read up on the moves and for me practice/train. I like to be able to not only pull off moves, combos and such but put together a nice fight plan.

Otherwise you're sitting there mashing buttons hoping you get lucky. And that doesnt work against a good player (like my friend).

Right now I'm working with Sagat. He's dope. There are two characters I might mess with. The mexican wrestler (lookin like Nacho Libre) and the fat dude whose belly never stops wobbling.

Fun game. Awesome graphics. I havent played past Street Fighters so to compare I wouldnt be able too. Same with fighter games in general as far as comparing. But this is a game I can dig.

With GTA4 and SF4 I dont think i can manage other games which I have.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

When I get back in the states, I'll play you guys... if you want to really be good at the game, maybe I can help you advance once I learn the new mechanics of the game itself.

If you're deeply engrained with the franchise, your skills carry-over into the next gen of SF. This is something Capcom is very good at doing.

If you guys truly enjoy SFIV, after time passes you'll realize going back to Super Turbo is a better choice. SFII Super Turbo HD Remix is the deepest fighting game, ever.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Hey LOJ,
I finally got SFIIHDRemix… (I had extra points) - My parts for my stick should be here this week.
Though I am the suc, I'll let you destroy me when you get back
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:43 PM   #14
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R
Hey LOJ,
I finally got SFIIHDRemix… (I had extra points) - My parts for my stick should be here this week.
Though I am the suc, I'll let you destroy me when you get back

Did you play Super Turbo back in the old SF days? What do you think of HD Remix? Are you playing on a HD TV? The game looks incredible, plays even better. The soundtrack and how the stage music progresses based on where the fight is and how much energy each player has remaining is sick.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

gettin deep with this game lately as far as the combos and everyone's special moves are concerned. haven't really played sfII seriously since the original was released on the snes.

i'm managing okay with the 360 d-pad (made it through the game on hard), but i'd love to use my ol snes pad somehow..

still need to order my stick and replacement stick/buttons (thanks again sonic r) and i'm just trying to decide if i should go ahead and get two of everything (local multiplayer ftw when it comes to street fighter)

loving the 2d action though. so glad they kept that intact. i was just never feeling the 3d fighters. guess i'm old fashioned.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: