Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Portland Trail Blazers Forum

Portland Trail Blazers Forum Portland Trail Blazers forum - Portland Trail Blazers message board

Old 03-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool
Default Should We Call It In?

Bust?

Seriously, day-to-day since the all-star break. He's been mediocre when present, yes - he shows flashes when he doesn't get in foul trouble, but when is that?

I'm very dissapointed now. It might just be that he's not playing again(against Indiana), and I'm having a little emotional surge, but its this same crap over and over.

I honestly don't even care if he ever comes back at this point. When I think of the Blazers I have no thoughts on Oden... It's at the point where I am expecting us to have to roll with a contingency plan at the center position.

I have told myself he needs a year to get back... but its getting ridiculous.

Odens, coaching, medical, or the medias fault?
Kumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should We Call It In?

Hell no. Way way to early to call him a bust. Injury prone? Sure. Disappointing thus far? Sure. But if he develops a little consistency and can provide many years of 60 plus games plus produce in the playoffs when it matters, then I will be happy.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Renegade
I hit open layups

Renegade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumo
I honestly don't even care if he ever comes back at this point.

Cool down man. Oden has definitely had injury issues for the last few years and they are a concern. However, big men are notorius for taking several years to develop (Jermaine O'Neal ring a bell). Remember he only had one year of college ball.

Show a little patience and less emotion.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
tedloc
Serious playground baller

tedloc has an OK reputation so far

absolutely not. the kid is a monster and that's all there is to it.

9 points 7rebounds a game. (16 & 11 the last 2games)
coming off a year without ballin.
and microfracture surgery.

you've gotta be kidding me

16 double doubles this season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and the sky is the limit this guy is dominant go back and watch some of his college ball. the guy played with his left hand (right broken) and carried his team to the championship game. he's an animal. and he's gonna show it.

give it time he's only a rookie
tedloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oden has not showed as much as early as we expected. It use to be 'give him a year.' Now, he is looking more like a very promising prospect. I think by the 2010-11 or 2011-12 seasons is when we will really be able to see what Oden will be. But judging a guy on 30 games is too premature.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

every team hits valleys during the season

the last fifteen games of the season can dictate if a team goes into the playoffs with some momentum or if it backs into the playoffs

it is going to be an interesting ride because these last games will be similiar to last year-- everyone jockeying for home court and wanting a higher seed
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
every team hits valleys during the season

the last fifteen games of the season can dictate if a team goes into the playoffs with some momentum or if it backs into the playoffs

it is going to be an interesting ride because these last games will be similiar to last year-- everyone jockeying for home court and wanting a higher seed

Did you read the OP's post or just the title? We're talking about Oden, not the race to the playoffs.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
xtn5021
Serious playground baller

xtn5021 has an OK reputation so far

No. It's too early to call him a bust.
xtn5021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
Sagan
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Sagan has an OK reputation so far

i was just reading bill walton's wikipedia page and i came across this...

"Walton was drafted number one overall by the Portland Trail Blazers and was hailed as the savior of the franchise. His first two seasons were marred by injury (at different times he broke his nose, foot, wrist and leg) and the Blazers missed the playoffs both years. It was not until the 1976-77 season that he was healthy enough to play 65 games."

so while i am completely underwhelmed this season, i remind myself that he has a lot of time to show what he is capable of.
Sagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #10
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

Kumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat coolKumo is considered somewhat cool

Yeah, I was having a little emotional surge. But still, this season has just been full of dissapointment, and its depressing.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
blazerjimmy
High School Starter

blazerjimmy has no real reputation yet.

I'm frustrated as well - getting really tired of hearing about how we screwed up and should have taken Durant instead!!!!

But as frustrated as I get, I know I can't be NEARLY as frustrated as young Mr. Greg Oden is!!! I feel for the kid and I really hope (not just for the sake of my Beloved Blazers) that he is able to get healthy and get out there on the floor and contribute and make threads like this a thing of the past!!!
blazerjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:09 PM   #12
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

But he's so hard to figure out... I'm at the conclusion that he's semi-depressed.

He hardly cracks a smile at games, doesn't jump into the huddle before games. Quick, like 2 days ago, said that if you ask him who Oden's friend on the team is... he would have no answer for you, even calling him a loner.

I know we need to give him next season though... and I pray to God he improves, or else our hopes to progress each year are in danger.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #13
BlazersDozen
NBA lottery pick

BlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat coolBlazersDozen is considered somewhat cool

I've come to the conclusion that Quick is an idiot and is only praised in Portland because he is the only one that talks about the Blazers. Seriously, I've been reading him and listening to him for years and I just realized that nothing he says is semi smart. He said Jason Kidd would be a great fit for Portland...the was the last of Jason Quick for me.

If Greg Oden was a loner on the team and semi-depressed then why would everybody last season say they loved him and he walked around with a smile all the time.
BlazersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazersDozen
I've come to the conclusion that Quick is an idiot and is only praised in Portland because he is the only one that talks about the Blazers

Bingo.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #15
Kumo
ISH Jump Crew

I don't know, but if he can tell who everyone elses friends are, but not Gregs.... eh.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: